Wirefly xoom unboxing...

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Why would I need luck. I haven't had anyone activate a device for me in years. That includes an ERIS, Incredible @ BB, X and Droid 2. I just tell them I will activate it myself. Once they open the box and take it out to activate it I tell them not to. What are they gonna do then?

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm a bit confused. When he's looking at the ports on the bottome he says that with the micro usb you can trickle charge it but not operate it. What the heck does he mean? So can you use the microusb port to keep the battery at the level it's at or what? That was a bit confusing. And also, what the heck is a privacy led (written on the screen plastic)...is that simply the led letting you know the camera is on?

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my son an Ipad16 GB wifi only and they had to activate it. I don't think any retailer will let one leave the store without activation.

Also I will be pulling the plastic off the back first then the front. The screen will not be going down against another surface at any time.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Where did you get the IPAD from? I bought a wi-fi only one 6 months ago as a gift. Paid and walked out the store. I think you people just arbitrarily believe what people in the stores tell you.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hard yes, impossible no so why take chances. I hope they will let everyone take one home without activating. I am just stating what i have seen everywhere else about this process. You sound so sure that you can over ride Verizon policy and I wish you luck.

I work for Verizon and there are some procedures and policies that I cannot get around no matter whet the customer says.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hard yes, impossible no so why take chances. I hope they will let everyone take one home without activating. I am just stating what i have seen everywhere else about this process. You sound so sure that you can over ride Verizon policy and I wish you luck.

I work for Verizon and there are some procedures and policies that I cannot get around no matter whet the customer says.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think we'll have better luck at the store w/out getting it activated now that they announced a 2 year plan for it.

I was just calling Shenandoah, I'm sure a fair share of people will be able to talk their reps in to letting them walk out of the store w/out activating the xoom.

Groover1964

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Would You Plug Your Xoom into USB Power?

I'm a bit confused. What the heck does he mean? So can you use the microusb port to keep the battery at the level it's at or what? That was a bit confusing.

Not only confusing but potentially risky, in the manual it says:

The Xoom specs clearly state:

Caution: Use only the charger that came with your tablet or the XOOM dock to charge your tablet. The USB port is used for data transfer only, NOT for charging.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Not only confusing but potentially risky, in the manual it says:

The Xoom specs clearly state:

Caution: Use only the charger that came with your tablet or the XOOM dock to charge your tablet. The USB port is used for data transfer only, NOT for charging.

Yeah, I read this, too. But how do we transfer data from the computer without it charging? lol Every device I plug into my computer charges...

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I read this, too. But how do we transfer data from the computer without it charging? lol Every device I plug into my computer charges...

I dont think its a concern of charging (or not charging) when plugged in to a computer. You can use a USB cable to transfer data and not have it charge a device (especially if the device is not wired to allow USB charging). I think the concern is plugging in a micro USB wall charger from another phone. Since it doesnt charge via the USB port, it could potentially cause problems if you plug in a wall charger to the USB port.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I dont think its a concern of charging (or not charging) when plugged in to a computer. You can use a USB cable to transfer data and not have it charge a device (especially if the device is not wired to allow USB charging). I think the concern is plugging in a micro USB wall charger from another phone. Since it doesnt charge via the USB port, it could potentially cause problems if you plug in a wall charger to the USB port.

If it doesn't charge via USB PC connection, then that's alright.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that was the sim card slot, it looked like a sd-card slot to me, a full one and not micro (which will be awesome). From my understanding Verizon devices do not use sim cards (CDMA). It would be cool if that's all they had to do was put a 4G LTE card in there to get it to work.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Why would I need luck. I haven't had anyone activate a device for me in years. That includes an ERIS, Incredible @ BB, X and Droid 2. I just tell them I will activate it myself. Once they open the box and take it out to activate it I tell them not to. What are they gonna do then?

Put yourself in the sales reps shoes for a second.

Situation 1. Selling an ERIS, Incredible, X and Droid 2. Customer doesn't want it activated. Cool, he can do it from home and knowingly the rep knows you can't activate it anyway without adding data and all that good stuff.

Situation 2. Selling a Xoom. Customer doesn't want it activated and there's a mandatory 1 month data attached that requires activation. Cool, no way is the rep going to let you leave since you could potentially activate it WITHOUT adding data.

See the flaw in your plan?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I just thought of a nightmarish scenario. The sd-card & 4G sim do share the same spot. ( I don't know if that's possible) and you can't use either one at the same time. You would have to take out your extra storage to have 4G LTE. That would suck but, it wouldn't surprise me.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I just thought of a nightmarish scenario. The sd-card & 4G sim do share the same spot. ( I don't know if that's possible) and you can't use either one at the same time. You would have to take out your extra storage to have 4G LTE. That would suck but, it wouldn't surprise me.

they are stacked there are 2 card slots inside he only showed 1 above that slot is another and sorry to say it is a microsd card slot.

Reactions: qnet

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site

USB is a 4 pin connector (some connectors have a 5th pin for ID or some proprietary purpose but thats irrelevant to my point) 2 pins are used for a differential data signal, 1 pin for +5v and 1 pin for ground. All Moto would have to do is leave the +5V pin floating inside the Xoom and then you wouldn't have any issues. If you plugged in an AC micro USB charger it would not close the circuit and it would act like it was not plugged in. No harm no foul.

That is the simplest solution but there are others where the "power" pin can be connected.

Bottom line is don't worry, you won't be able to harm the Xoom by using a powered USB plug. Moto isn't stupid (at least not their engineers :p)

theGman911

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon retail stores ARE NOT requiring activation. If you buy it without the 2 year contract, you walk out of the store for $799 with NO ACTIVATION required.

Best Buy on the other hand is requiring the one month data plan and activation.

Via Droid-Life.com

"In the official press release, there are no mentions of a 1-month data requirement if you choose to buy the XOOM at the full $799 price. We first mentioned that being a Best Buy requirement, just like it was with the Galaxy Tab, and that looks to be the case here as well."

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
My Verizon store said activation was required. Huge store, manager was a jerk. After seeing the unboxing video he was lying or uninformed. He said "you can't even turn it on without activation." There's no way a kid at Best Buy is going to force me to activate my device. They will charge the $20, but I am absolutely certain I will walk out of Best Buy tomorrow with an un-activated Xoom.