[Apps] Apps, Market, etc

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Happy Xoom day!

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up of what to expect when they sign in to their Xoom's today.

If you're coming from a Froyo device and chose to backup your Google data to your Google account your Xoom will start to download all of your apps, which is kind of funny because when you click on the market it'll say that your client is out of date and needs to update shortly. If you have a lot of apps, just chill here and play with them as they get installed. (Check back in the market after you get the "market updated" notification)

If this is your first android or you're starting from scratch with a new Google account you won't have to worry about this, you can enjoy the "apps for tablets section"

A quick heads up: The Honeycomb market will let you switch Google accounts! So you can start with a fresh account and then add your existing one and get the apps to that google account. I know a lot of people will like this.

Once your apps are in and your market does update, there's another market update! (I don't know if this happened over night or if these two updates will get rolled in to one). When you go in to the market now you'll actually see the market as an app, and it'll (for me at least) have an update, so you can go ahead and update that.

-- (will update the apps part, but please help out as you get setup)
Apps:
Google Voice - not in the market! I know I can't make calls but thought it would be cool to manage text messages from here, sadly either the app isn't ready yet or won't be included for tablets without phone abilities. (I'm hoping just not ready) - A great work around is to just go to voice.google.com - if you're a GV user this is more than manageable.

Facebook - no contacts sync, some views force vertical screen orientation and the widget is broken.

Last edited:

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on Google voice. I hope they get this fixed in short order. Was planning on using the text message feature.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I made a bookmark to voice.google.com and it just works flawlessly, it just doesn't alert.

I'm sure they are working on something.

I have it set up to send me a Gmail when I get a text. So I should be okay.

Have you found any other apps that are missing or don't work properly?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have it set up to send me a Gmail when I get a text. So I should be okay.

Have you found any other apps that are missing or don't work properly?

A lot of games don't work right, just get an immediate FC, I updated the OP with the facebook app problem and will try to keep it updated but I hope everyone else can chime in, in about 17 minutes when they get their Xooms!

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I should have mine in hand and ready to use in a little over an hour from now. That is if there is no line at my VZW store.

When I get mine I will be testing the following apps:

Native PPTP VPN. Not an app but built into the OS -- Works
Mocha VNC Lite -- Does Not Work -- Keyboard is invisible
Lookout -- Not in Market
Remote Media Center -- FC on adding a server IP
VPlayer -- Not sure -- used with Remote Media Center
TouchDown -- Not in market
Movies -- Works
TvGuide -- Works

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerms

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Movies is definitely going to work very well as last night they updated it to work specifically for tablets.

I also hope Lookout works, great application. The nice thing about the Android Market is most developers have their email there so if it doesn't work in, say, Honeycomb, we can email them asking to please update it using the SDK!

I really hope stuff like Slacker and Pandora work. And maybe PowerAmp will update it soon to work really well on Honeycomb, even though the stock player looks really good.

Oh and my number one is Kindle. I loveee the look of the Google Books app but I'm a Kindle person and would love the page-turning animations along with the dual-page landscape mode, instead of a wall of text.

ncl

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I am ready to pull the trigger on a Xoom, but would love to know about the following apps.

MobileNoter (MS OneNote Sync)
Evernote
Office (probably DocsToGo)
Citrix Reciever
Logmein
Slingplayer
Dropbox

Thanks!

Kerms

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I should have mine in hand and ready to use in a little over an hour from now. That is if there is no line at my VZW store.

When I get mine I will be testing the following apps:

Native PPTP VPN. Not an app but built into the OS
Mocha VNC Lite
Lookout
Remote Media Center
VPlayer
TouchDown
Movies
TvGuide

I'm very interested in that one. Please post back. Also try it via Wifi & 3G. I'm holding out for the Wifi version.

I have a jailbroke *gasp* iPhone and MyWi hopefully by then there will be something out that will allow the Xoom to connect to MyWi which is AdHoc

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm finding that most applications do not work properly yet. The pains of being an early adaptor... I have edited my post on the apps that I will test.

Kerms

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that follow up on the PPTP tp08757 hat's very good to know.
That's one thing down.

Now I just need to wait till there's a fix to allow connecting to an AdHoc wifi
And please let NetFlix release something, but I think Google needs to work on the DRM API's first

How good is the GPS on it?

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow...the Movies app is how a Honeycomb app should look! It's beautiful, looks like the Chrom app. They did this update in about 3 days...we should be seeing other devs update soon!

Reactions: Arun01

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that follow up on the PPTP tp08757 hat's very good to know.
That's one thing down.

Now I just need to wait till there's a fix to allow connecting to an AdHoc wifi
And please let NetFlix release something, but I think Google needs to work on the DRM API's first

How good is the GPS on it?

The Xoom's wifi connect's to my EVO's (cm7 w/wimax) hotspot with no problem.

I really hope NetFlix can do something with the Honeycomb API to satisfy Hollywood.

The GPS locked in about 2 seconds, I was inside and standing still both times I've used it. It's dead on in maps as well. Way faster than the GPS on my EVO.

Reactions: Kerms

mickmel

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What's my best bet for Office-related documents? Has anyone tested DocsToGo and others to see which ones play best with Honeycomb? Or should I just use Google Docs through the browser?

Kerms

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom's wifi connect's to my EVO's (cm7 w/wimax) hotspot with no problem.

I really hope NetFlix can do something with the Honeycomb API to satisfy Hollywood.

The GPS locked in about 2 seconds, I was inside and standing still both times I've used it. It's dead on in maps as well. Way faster than the GPS on my EVO.

So the EVO creates a AdHoc wifi??Good to know.

Good deal about the GPS also. I heard it will be in the wifi model also.

Now if we can get netflix wooooot. That's my one hold up. I really don't want to go the PlayOn route to do it.

Hopefully by the time the release the Wifi version more apps will be out. Maybe we'll see it in 30-40 days...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia