Contract vs not

Did/would you get a Xoom with a contract?

• Total voters

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I can't decide if I should get the Xoom with a contract? It seems most people here got it w/o contract.

If I kept the data I imagine I'd get the 3GB plan. I'd start with the 1GB and check my usage. I don't do streaming video other than youtube on occasion. I foresee using Pandora and navigation via Google Maps a lot.

With contract:
$599 device
Data for 2 years: $20/month/1gb - 20% corporate discount * 24 months = $384.
Worst case scenario @ 2 years: Spent an extra $184 on data that I didn't want.
Best case: Saved the $200 on device price.
Total spent: $599 + $384 = $983

With no contract:
$800 device
Best case @ Year2: $800 + $16 for 1 month data
Worst case scenario @ Year2: $800 + $384 = $1184

Is there anything I'm maybe not considering about the two options?

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
option 3:

1) no contract no data plan $800
2) root your phone and use the phones data when you need it.
3) ???
4) save money!!! profit!!!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! <3

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one off contract but I would still line to use data when travelling. I've heard that you would have to pay an activation fee every time there is a break in data usage. It makes the 3/4g borderline useless without a contract. Imo

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

dwboston

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one off contract but I would still line to use data when travelling. I've heard that you would have to pay an activation fee every time there is a break in data usage. It makes the 3/4g borderline useless without a contract. Imo

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

According to VZW, you can suspend the month to month data, without canceling it, and won't need to pay a reactivation fee when you start it up again.

bmhanson

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't decide if I should get the Xoom with a contract? It seems most people here got it w/o contract.

If I kept the data I imagine I'd get the 3GB plan. I'd start with the 1GB and check my usage. I don't do streaming video other than youtube on occasion. I foresee using Pandora and navigation via Google Maps a lot.

With contract:
$599 device
Data for 2 years: $20/month/1gb - 20% corporate discount * 24 months = $384.
Worst case scenario @ 2 years: Spent an extra $184 on data that I didn't want.
Best case: Saved the $200 on device price.
Total spent: $599 + $384 = $983

With no contract:
$800 device
Best case @ Year2: $800 + $16 for 1 month data
Worst case scenario @ Year2: $800 + $384 = $1184

Is there anything I'm maybe not considering about the two options?

2 things to consider. For the corporate discount might want to verify. My corp discount is only applicable on plans of 34.99 or more. So you may not be able to get the 20%. There are also taxes, fees, etc.

Also for your one month scenario don't forget the $35 activations unless you can get it waived.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine without contract, and will just turn on data when I'm travelling. I don't do that often, however, and so wifi will fit my needs most of the time. Simply put, I was willing to pay an extra $200 to have the option of 3G/4G...

Of course, I was also willing to pay whatever the premium is for being a bleeding-edge early adopter and helping Motorola and Google work out all the bugs. :)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I went off contract because I think we're at the start of a lot of Android tablets for the foreseeable future and I want to be able to sell the xoom and close out my VZW account without a penalty if the next best thing comes along some place else.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with above. Rooted Motorola Droid X and Xoom = wicked combo!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

For a lousy $16 a month though it seems silly to have the whole 2 device issue. For me I would pay the data plan and take the subsity now. If you want another tablet in a year or so then buy that at full price when they are most likely going to be a $100-$200 cheaper.

44thrilla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
For a lousy $16 a month though it seems silly to have the whole 2 device issue. For me I would pay the data plan and take the subsity now. If you want another tablet in a year or so then buy that at full price when they are most likely going to be a $100-$200 cheaper.

Well the other device is a phone so you need to have it anyway. I use my rooted evo with my xoom. Best thing ever.

bmbriefs

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
According to VZW, you can suspend the month to month data, without canceling it, and won't need to pay a reactivation fee when you start it up again.

Where did you here this from? I just spoke with a VZW rep and they said that you would need to pay an activation fee each time you started service. I.e. you couldn't suspend your account. :(