48 Hours In Review

Virgil

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Bought my Xoom from Best Buy the morning it came out. Had traded in some games to make the price point seem less painful for me. Had to be careful not to play it too much since it was my fiance's birthday and I didn't want it to suck me in too much.

Ordered a screen protector from Amazon and was angry it didn't get to me before the 24th like promised. I bought the portfolio case, which I don't like the scratches it puts on the case and the way it clips. Praying for an iPad style portfolio case. Still have the original screen protector on it until I can get one from Zagg.

Was absolutely thrilled when I saw the sale on Amazon. I went into Best Buy and they price matched it down to the $600. Actually, it was $600 plus the price of next day shipping since I was getting it the same day, but who cares. I'm glad I made the trip immediately after seeing it, cause it has to be in-stock for them to price match it and it was unavailable on Amazon after a few hours and they changes the price.

Anyways, as for the actual tablet. If there is one thing that Android did right out the gate that Apple didn't, it was the apps translation. Using apps for the iPad that were made for the iPhone only looked horrible to me. Just pixelated and bad. The Android apps seemed to scale up beautifully and, from what I hear, they made them very easy to adjust for the developers. So, again, the apps available at launch killed the iPad.

Overall, it's great for what I use it for. The battery is slight less than my old iPad (8.3 hours of video playback vs 10 hours), but I really don't care. The internet is great, speed is great, and it gives me everything that I want from a tablet that an iPad can't, customability. If I am going to pay for it, I want to be able to set it up however I want. I will not have Steve Jobs tell me what to do ;-)

With that, here is what i'm waiting to see fixed. All minor, and don't care if I need to get an app for it, but still want it.

~Exchange Server. Apparently the server my work uses is the one that isn't currently compatible. All my contacts and calender is setup through this, and would like that fix. I do not want to use Touchdown, the interface through the default mail, calender, and contacts is superior when it works.

~Photo Rendering. I'm sure that some of you have seen that when you view pictures, it doesn't alway full render them in the gallery. I use the Xoom to read comics, and it doesn't fully render the images and makes the text hard to read. I downloaded a picture viewer and that fixes the issue, but most people aren't going to think to do that and it should already work in the default viewer.

~Facebook App. Again, I can use the browser now, but I want to import my contacts and receive notifications.

~Widgets. They are just to small. Let me adjust the size. I would love to have one of my pages just filled with my bookmarks. Same with the calender and contacts. I tried LauncherPro, which let me customize the size of the widget, but the links within the widget were still cell phone size.

~Divx/.Avi Player. Right now i'm using Rock player, but I should be able to use the default player. Rock player doesn't let me skip to scenes very easily and has a stupid logo in the top corner. This is one of the main reasons I jumped from an iPad. I know there will be a fix, but please hurry.

~Cases and Shield Protector's - The options now suck. Please get awesome

~Browser - The default browser won't sort your bookmarks. It's in the order you add them. Kinda annoying for someone with OCD like myself. Also, I find some websites still show in mobile mode, even when I put the Xoom in desktop browser mode. Weird

~Apps I want to see very soon:
Netflix
Facebook
Droid Mini-Golf (Works on the Xoom, but would like to see adjusted size)
Texas Hold 'Em (Again, adjusted to the tablets size)
Legit Golf Game
Tasks Widget

~App I would recommend
Jigz (Simple app that takes your pictures and turns them into a puzzle. Great fun)

Thank you for your time if you actually finished this whole post.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
~Browser - The default browser won't sort your bookmarks. It's in the order you add them. Kinda annoying for someone with OCD like myself. Also, I find some websites still show in mobile mode, even when I put the Xoom in desktop browser mode. Weird
For now, if you sync your bookmarks with chrome, you can edit your bookmarks via PC and they will appear in the new order on your Xoom. Not ideal, but there you go.

Doesn't jjcomic viewer work on the Xoom?

It works pretty well actually.

Last edited:

pandersonx

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed in mine with 48 hours in. Lack of apps is killing me. Waiting to see what Ipad2 is going to offer and then I may be returning this thing to best buy.

Where the heck is netflix and skype. Avi support? Come on. Just seems like amateur hour from Google/Moto.

Virgil

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The reason i'm using a pic viewer apps for the comics is because it seemed to auto-adjust and render faster than the comic app. Plus the page swiping felt smoother.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed in mine with 48 hours in. Lack of apps is killing me. Waiting to see what Ipad2 is going to offer and then I may be returning this thing to best buy.

Where the heck is netflix and skype. Avi support? Come on. Just seems like amateur hour from Google/Moto.

Lack of skype and Netflix are two big reasons why this won't sell well. Many more people use skype than g talk and the fact that all I devices do Netflix is huge. I actually just finished watching a movie in my vip4 while working out. Sad that a "hd" device can't do that for at least the next 6 months.

phylo

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have to say that after 24 hours with mine, Im taking it back.. The constant crashing apps and the lack of apps that I want just doesnt justify the $800 plus tax price tag... At $600 I could see waiting it out, but my iPad is flawless and the iPad 2 is comming soon

phylo

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
By the time it stabilizes there will be a ton of other tablets on the market running honeycomb and I would guess at a much more attractive price point.

I really like it but the constant crashing app's is really killing it for me.. Ill tough it out with my iPad a couple more months then make the transition.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
glad its not just my samsung tablet that has app's crashing. I was hoping that this would be resolved in the xoom, its just freaking annoying!!!

I will wait on the xoom after reading its not much better yet

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
glad its not just my samsung tablet that has app's crashing. I was hoping that this would be resolved in the xoom, its just freaking annoying!!!

I will wait on the xoom after reading its not much better yet

I hate to burst your bubble there, but the XOOM is muchhhh better than the Galaxy Tab lol.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL.... read what I said and not what you read into it.
one of the most irritating things people do is use that stupid "LOL" after trying to be a jackass.

what I said is I wanted the xoom but if the app's are crashing I can wait, no sense in having two tablets crashing app's, its as annoying as people who use "LOL" like you did

I hate to burst your bubble there, but the XOOM is muchhhh better than the Galaxy Tab lol.