[HOW-TO] Bluetooth Tether from Android phone to XOOM (NO root or app required)

scramer

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
This works on OG droid. The problem most people have been having is some ROMs or Kernals don't support the bluetooth tether. I've had no luck with any of Pete's GPA ROMS. CM7 works, I have had the tether working on nightly 32 and RC4

I've tried two different roms (one sense, one nonsense), I've formatted both and went back to scratch in case there was something messing it up, I've named / renamed both, I've done it all. I'm going to go try the CM7 now......

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It is just not working with a wifi xoom and htc evo. I can get wireless tether to work via wifi but not bluetooth (can't even get them to just connect via bluetooth, never mind tethering). And if wifi is available, I don't need my phone to tether to it.....

I'm getting extremely frustrated. If I can't get this to work I may return the xoom.

Wait, if you can wifi tether to work why do you care about bluetooth tether?

Lmao, Right? I love my DX, but its a phone that's already a year old. Its gonna get replaced by a dual core in a year for a good price with n2e2. I don't see another tablet in my future for a bit, but that's just me on a conservative budget.

So instead of returning the Xoom look at your next phone and make sure it can BT tether or whatever option you want. How long have you had the EVO?

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
ya can anyone make any progress in the htc evo-xoom bluetooth tether problem. i have tried everything. any pros out there have any solutions. this has to work

Trixie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am not the dullest either. I have read most all of the posts, and I know it was stated this was mainly for the wifi version which I have, but I don't have the setting for bluetooth tethering when I click on the wrench or anywhere for that matter. All I get on the Xoom is the option to change my phone's name or to unpair the Xoom from my phone. I don't recall seeing anyone else saying that this is what they have too. I have Samsung Fascinate is this a no go function between these two devices, or am I just over looking something?

This is my situations as well: WIFI only Xoom, Tmobile G2 NOT rooted.
I eagerly await the more brilliant minds' solutions!

murphy12712

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
This is my situations as well: WIFI only Xoom, Tmobile G2 NOT rooted.
I eagerly await the more brilliant minds' solutions!

I have a rooted Nexus One and there was no tether option neither.
I used 'wifi tether for root users' app in order to have the tether option available, it will appear in the 'profiles' section.
I know it may not help you a lot because this app needs root but it's how I get it working.

Julien

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I can't connect with a Nexus S, oh well not like I actually needed it anyways....

EDIT: I am also seeing a pattern it has only been working on Motorola devices not on HTC, Samsung or LG devices, people have gotten it working on iOS but that's about it, unless the other 4 pages I didn't read actually had 8 people getting it working on Samsung devices etc. Anyone without a Motorola device got this working?

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info..it made setup super easy between my wifi xoom and DX on Verizon!

While were on blue tooth and tethering, how are people sharing files (music, docs et.) between desktop /phone with xoom?

bobipop

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
"Wireless Tether" worked for me using EVO with xoom wireless. Instructions sa rooting the EVO is optional. Once instaled on EVO and Xoom, start it on EVO, then it will be visible on Xoom for a bluetooth connection. Xoom wifi only does not have a tethering option in the wireless& Network section

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It seems to work with Motorola android phones, works great with my DX, so I guess as long as we upgrade to future moto phones we should be able to use this feature.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is a HOW-TO guide that details how to bluetooth tether your Android phone's internet to your Motorola XOOM without using any applications or rooting your phone. If done properly you should have your Android phone and XOOM connected via bluetooth and the XOOM should be using your Android phone's internet.

Please post if it works for you, and also say what phone you are using.

Devices confirmed to work:
Droid X (rooted)
Xoom WiFi (unrooted)

I confirm, this worked for me. Speedtest.net gave me the same upload/download speed reports on the Xoom regardless if i was 3g wifi-tethered or 3g bluetooth-tethered.

Awesome! I could unroot now that I don't need wifi tethering on the X.

StanSolsky

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks

Thank you for the tethering instructions. I have my Xoom off contract and later this year will update my phone service. This will help as I only would need to use this twice monthly and to pay $XX for 40 minutes is ridiculous. Please keep on posting more phones that work this magic. :)
Thanks again,
Stan

dreT86

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried it with my samsung mesmerize I was able to transfer pictures and video.but could not connect to internet via bluetooth. But I can use my wifi hot spot without extra fees

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Looks like it only works on Motorola phones. I have a g2 and like everyone else with an HTC device I can get it to pair but not connect, thus I don't get the tether option.
If only there was a way to force the devices to connect...

FrankTheTank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I assume this should work on the wifi only version or does it need to connect like it thinks its going through the cell network?

I have wifi only xoom and Droid x

nrweaver

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
this worked for me as well just set it up

stock droid x
stock wifi xoom

this is pretty awesome

does this hurt battery life a lot? I am going to guess it does hurt it some but I wonder how much (mostly wondering about phone xoom lasts a long time already)

does anyone know when the gingerbread update comes if this will still work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon