Local Video Streaming - Need Xoom owners help

weaverng

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello Xoom owners. I'm curious if the "Qloud Video Free" android app is available and working with the Xoom? The app is suppose to stream local network shared videos (xvid, divx, mkv, etc) to an android device. The app is free and I am asking Xoom owners to test it on wifi (It has 3g features as well). This will help me decide if I will buy the Xoom this week. Thank you in advance.

techdan00

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I can see it down load it, but got no clue on the server request info?

Post it and ill try it for you

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

railguy78

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I installed it and I was able to connect to my server but it wouldn't read the fle formats (straght dvd rips) I'm converting a file to see if I can get it to play. If it works then this will be an awesome program!

weaverng

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the help Xoom owners. The server side software is available at the developers site:

Qloud Video Free - Qiss

I have alot of divx, xvid, mp4 and mkv's on my home network that I want to know if they will play with this app on the Xoom. If you get it to work, can you tell rest of us the quality of the play back? Thanks again everyone.

railguy78

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Wellllllllllllllllllllll after tying a bunch of formats with this app I give it a huge thumbs down. I got it to play avi files...barley. It lagged so much it was unwatchable. I would suggest trying plex. I'm having better luck with that one and it plays mpeg files.

DocSavag

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yea I got qloud and the video server installed and it plays my videos..for about 10 seconds and then it stops and goes back to the menu. Try again..10 more seconds...etc etc.. very frustrating.

ScottAtlanta82

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm away from my place right now, but I remoted in and set it up on my server. Over a low bw stream (256kbps) it worked fantastic. Read all my formats (avi, mkv, divx, wmv), from SD all the way to 1080p. I'm really curious to see how it will do over wifi at home with the max bw settings. So far, however, I give it a thumbs up.

ScottAtlanta82

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Yea I got qloud and the video server installed and it plays my videos..for about 10 seconds and then it stops and goes back to the menu. Try again..10 more seconds...etc etc.. very frustrating.

I stand corrected. Once I got home I get the same problem. Playback stops at between 10 and 12 seconds. I notice only two traffic spikes during this time, no continual traffic. Very dissapointing. I'm gonna try plex like suggested. See if that has better results.

ScottAtlanta82

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I stand corrected. Once I got home I get the same problem. Playback stops at between 10 and 12 seconds. I notice only two traffic spikes during this time, no continual traffic. Very dissapointing. I'm gonna try plex like suggested. See if that has better results.

OK check that. The description on the market says it doesn't yet work for honeycomb/xoom.

ScottAtlanta82

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I promise i'll stop replying soon. Tried this on my droid x. Works in that it plays past 10 sec, however is keeps dropping frames. I've tried pretty much all the bandwidth settings too. No fun here.

weaverng

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the testing

Hey ScottAtlanta82. Thanks for all the advanced testing. I read on another Xoom thread that talked about using DNLA as an alternative to stream video. The people using DNLA suggested using the Rock Player on the Xoom and something like Windows Media Player 11 as the DNLA server to host the videos. I heard good results with this setup. I don't have a Xoom yet. So, I will not be able to test it out with the Rock Player. For those people who have done it, let us know how DNLA works for you on the Xoom and what is the quality. Thanks Xoom owners.

ScottAtlanta82

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey ScottAtlanta82. Thanks for all the advanced testing. I read on another Xoom thread that talked about using DNLA as an alternative to stream video. The people using DNLA suggested using the Rock Player on the Xoom and something like Windows Media Player 11 as the DNLA server to host the videos. I heard good results with this setup. I don't have a Xoom yet. So, I will not be able to test it out with the Rock Player. For those people who have done it, let us know how DNLA works for you on the Xoom and what is the quality. Thanks Xoom owners.

I'll probably try that out in the coming days. Let you know how it goes.

railguy78

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
And I have found Plex support is spotty at best as well, some files work and others don't. Although on the Plex forums they say they are going to try to get it updated for honeycomb in the next couple weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007