06-22-2011 11:40 PM
28 12
tools
    I was wondering if anyone that's very familiar with Handbrake has a list of settings that work well on the XOOM. To be honest I don't know much about adjusting the settings and was wondering if someone could help me out. Any tips would be useful, because at this point I going to be leaving everything as default unless otherwise instructed.

03-02-2011 12:20 AM
    GigaDroid | Android Talk Forums • View topic - Frequently asked questions on Xoom

If you scroll down to the video section theres a XOOM preset and everything

EDIT: ok, dont use that, MEGA HUGE file size, I managed to get 4.5GB for Fight Club, thats a terrible preset, dont use it
    03-02-2011 01:54 AM
    i don't see a xoom preset on my version of handbrake.
    i am running 0.9.5
    i have lots of pre-sets of apple devices, would be nice to have xoom specific setting!
    03-02-2011 07:23 AM
    GigaDroid | Android Talk Forums • View topic - Frequently asked questions on Xoom

If you scroll down to the video section theres a XOOM preset and everything

EDIT: ok, dont use that, MEGA HUGE file size, I managed to get 4.5GB for Fight Club, thats a terrible preset, dont use it
    Yeah I got really excited when I first saw the link, but it turned a 41 min TV show that was originally 349 meg into 1.21 gig :-( Major suckage...
    03-03-2011 12:48 PM
    I struggled with this the night I bought this thing. Stayed up all night trying handbrake and DVDFab. No luck. I had a 6AM flight the next morning with 2 kids. Justified the need for the new tablet for the trip with the kids to myself wife. Oops. Hopefully someone figures out a good setting soon. I was never able to even get a video to play.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    03-03-2011 01:27 PM
    I struggled with this the night I bought this thing. Stayed up all night trying handbrake and DVDFab. No luck. I had a 6AM flight the next morning with 2 kids. Justified the need for the new tablet for the trip with the kids to myself wife. Oops. Hopefully someone figures out a good setting soon. I was never able to even get a video to play.

Wow, that's rough. I forget what settings I used, but I was able to get one to play a day or two ago, but certainly not play well. Every 30 or so frames it would drop a few....very annoying. I'm sure we'll figure it out, I just wish there was some documentation surrounding this.. :-/ Oh well...
    03-03-2011 01:28 PM
    I use the Apple TV preset.
    03-03-2011 03:40 PM
    I'm not at home right now so I can't check details on exact settings, but I'll try to hit the most important stuff...

Your best bet is to convert down to h.264 baseline with aac 2-channel audio in an mp4/m4v container and play it in Rockplayer using hardware decoding. (The Xoom is my first android device so there are likely other players that would work as well, but Rockplayer is the first one I found that worked.)

Going from memory the easiest way to get to the appropriate settings is to just select the Normal profile preset to start with, then on the advanced settings make sure you have:

Reference frames: 2
    B frames: 0
    CABAC: no
    8x8: no
    Weighted p-frames:no

Picture:
    shouldn't have to change anything

Video Filters:
    This depends on the source material. I guess leave it alone if you don't know.

Video:
    For the video settings, it's largely a matter of personal taste, I suppose. For the sake of providing example settings, I'll assume your source is an average dvd.

2-pass encoding with turbo first pass
    avg. bitrate: 1200-1500 (1200 is probably fine on a small display and/or if you aren't picky, but I consider that to be the bare minimum for dvd content...others may disagree)

There are plenty of other settings that will "work", but this will consistently produce reasonably sized files that should look quite nice on the Xoom's display.

Audio:
    AAC: Pro Logic II, defaults should be fine otherwise

Subtitles:
    Probably safest to burn them in if you need them for the movie you are converting. I haven't dealt with anything on the Xoom that has subs yet.

As I said, this was all from memory, but I think I got the important stuff right

If your source is not a dvd, you may need to change some things. Let me know if there are any questions.
    03-03-2011 03:46 PM
    If you're on windows then pay $10 for DVD Catalyst 4, its got a XOOM preset and its well worth the money. I bought it and it makes the file sizes small and good quality.

Fight Club which was roughly 2 hours 15 mins was only 1.05GB with good quality video and audio
    DrWu likes this.
    03-03-2011 04:35 PM
    A lot of the movies i try to rip will not even transfer. They go part way through the process and then it fails. sometimes i end up with a video in the gallery to try, but most of the time nothing. If there is a video to try and see if it will play it will give a "failed to load" error. Sure seems simple to transfer a video on here by drag and drop, but I am getting nowhere.
    03-06-2011 08:21 AM
    If you're on windows then pay $10 for DVD Catalyst 4, its got a XOOM preset and its well worth the money. I bought it and it makes the file sizes small and good quality.

Fight Club which was roughly 2 hours 15 mins was only 1.05GB with good quality video and audio
    This! +1

XOOM!
    03-06-2011 08:52 AM
    I have been using dvd catalyst as suggested. I use the preset that says xoom(fast). Takes about 15 mins to encode my existing avi files and looks decent. I will try just the regular xoom preset and see how that works later.
    03-06-2011 09:34 AM
    I converted 4 of our Bluray rips last week before we went on vacation. I used the video setting of 1280 width, kept the original aspect ratio so I did not specify a height. Then I set the file size to 2gig each movie. They all played perfectly and the picture quality was superb.
    03-06-2011 10:00 AM
    I set

Detelecine to Default

and

Decomb to Default

After that I delete any secondary audio streams from the feed

and Finally, I follow Motorola's Recommended Settings for the Advanced Settings of

Reference Frames 3
    Maximum B-Frames 0
    CABAC Entropy Coding Unchecked
    8x8 Transform Unchecked
    Weighted P-Frames Unchecked

Oh and I'll use a strict anamorphic setting because I want to minimize variation.

Just save these settings and make your own preset for the XOOM.

Oh and DVD Movies like Megamind which runs at 1:35 minutes has a file size of about 750 Megs.

Pete
    03-06-2011 11:45 AM
    Alright. I bought catalyst because the test video on demo worked fine. Tried 3 videos after I bought it. Only 1 went. I end up with the transfer hanging. Then it becomes unresponsive. Very frustrated

03-06-2011 01:43 PM
    Oops. Bad port on USB. That would have been nice to have with my flights for the kids. Oh well.

03-06-2011 02:00 PM

Giving this another +1.

Purchased DVD Catalyst last night based on this thread and converted Star Wars episode IV using the "Xoom" setting. Turned out great, movie plays great, looks great, no stuttering or sound issues and the file was just over 1gb.
    03-07-2011 08:19 AM
    Alright. I bought catalyst because the test video on demo worked fine. Tried 3 videos after I bought it. Only 1 went. I end up with the transfer hanging. Then it becomes unresponsive. Very frustrated

I couldn't get Catalyst to transfer the video directly to the Xoom, when I plug in my Xoom it doesn't show up as a drive letter so I can't browse to it from within Catalyst. But its easy enough to just manualy transfer the video's to the xoom. when Catalyst converts the dvds it puts them in your My Videos folder in windows, you can just drag and drop them into the movies folder on the Xoom.
    03-07-2011 08:25 AM
    I used handbrake apple TV preset to put my movies on my Mack, then I used the motor app to move files and just dragged them over to my xoom and they play just fine using rockplayer.
    03-15-2011 07:37 AM
    DVDcat added some more presets for the Xoom. I tried out both with some Star Wars dvds last night and they work great. The dev is very quick to respond to questions and he has tweaked his program to make Xoom owners happy. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this program over handbrake. There are many other settings under "power users" AND you can rip one movie to have it converted for several devices at the same time (i.e. Xoom and Incredible...)
    03-15-2011 08:37 AM
    Theres a hanbreak preset i found for free on a youtube video, it was specific for the xoom 720P, I'll look for it later and post it here.
    03-15-2011 06:24 PM
    DVDcat added some more presets for the Xoom. I tried out both with some Star Wars dvds last night and they work great. The dev is very quick to respond to questions and he has tweaked his program to make Xoom owners happy. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this program over handbrake. There are many other settings under "power users" AND you can rip one movie to have it converted for several devices at the same time (i.e. Xoom and Incredible...)
    Is it free? How does it compare in the time it takes to convert?
    03-15-2011 09:14 PM
    Good question, too much of my library is already ripped using HandBrake, I had opted long ago to use HighProfile setting and just rolled with it. I also have a license for Danuisoft app, but when I used the iPad setting the file is like 3.5-4.5GB and that is way too large. Perhaps when I have 15-20TB of storage on a NAS I can do that.
    03-15-2011 09:17 PM
    newbie question - what video size should I use? ie, ? x ?
    04-02-2011 12:21 PM
    Used Handbrake v0.9.2 on the NORMAL setting. Ripped two DVDs last night.

1st movie was 136 minutes - Ripped mp4 file size was 1.5 GB.
    Played perfectly on my Xoom.

2nd movie was 90 minutes - Ripped mp4 file size was 1.05 GB.
    Played perfectly on my Xoom.

The only caveat here is that it takes Handbrake about 2 to 3 hours to rip a DVD.

Looking to see if anyone has found a better preset than NORMAL.

From what I've read, I'm afraid to upgrade my Handbrake version as it seems to be working just fine.

-J
    06-20-2011 11:38 AM
28 12