Should i give up the xoom?

phenomenon88

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got the xoom last Thursday when I was hanging around in the verizon,and was attracted by the tablet.AND this is my 1st time to use the Android system,i used to be an Apple fan...
As you see,the ipad 2 is coming,though we dont know the actual ram,it is really lighter and thinner than the xoom, and the smart cover is really cooool!!!But nothing but the appearance and Processor has changed,still the demn screen,still unsure about the JB of ios 4.3.
Yet as Jobs said yesterday,they got more than 65,000apps fit for ipad or ipad2,compared to the at most 100 for xoom.And I cannot stand anymore the lack of flash or LTE network.
As an Apple fan,i really should gain the new comer,but ipad 2 is at least not good than Xoom ,except for the damn platform(indeed the lack of apps for android 3..0,what the hell the Android developers are doin?)
But i really do not need two similar tablet,it's quite a waste when you have an JB iphone4,a macbook pro,an imac,and both the xoom and ipad2...
I am confused what i should do?should i return the xoom and wait for the ipad 2?If so, could i get back the full refund?
Or else,I just wait for the Adobe Flash 10.2 and SD slot,and then the 4G network?
PLZ PLZ PLZ,help me out of the puzzle...
Tnx a lot for your patience and help.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
If you cannot stand no flash and no lte, how is getting the ipad gonna fix that?

Verizon has a $70 restocking fee for tablets.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Lesa than 30 days till flag is release on the Xoom. It will never be on ipad2, Ltd isn't even in most areas yet so as far as I am concerned its a non-issue at this point

You mentioned apps. The sdk has been released to devs and they are working on them. Programming takes time.

Either way it has to be your decision. My son has an I pad and wouldn't trade me for my Xoom, which is good cause I don't wanna trade him either.

gtricecakes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I too am debating between the Xoom and iPad 2. Main reason is apps. I love the Apple apps specific for the iPad and I don't see Android getting to that level anytime soon.

But I really do LOVE my incredible and I can see myself using the Xoom enough to make it worthwhile...I just want apps like Garage Band on it...

So the debate continues. Guess I'll wait to see how much a wifi only Xoom will be.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure if someone is making money selling tablet style apps on Apple, they probably want more money and will make the same app on Android.

Or someone else will come along, see there is a market for something and develop it themselves.

I'm glad and happy for Apple and all their apps but just because they did some of this stuff first doesn't mean it can't be done better on Android - I think the xoom is off to a great start, representing both a new hardware & software platform, but it is still very early in the android tablet curve, so if you want garage band and want it right now the ipad may be the way to go.

dcusick1

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry you are so unhappy with the number of apps available.. So, the App Store has 65,000 apps available for the Ipad? That's because the IPad has been out for a year now. When it was first released, there were very few tablet optimized apps. It took them a year to get to this point. The Honeycomb SDK was just released. Since you are so critical of how long it is taking for the developers, are you a programmer? Do you understand what it takes to write a program for a device? Do you understand that every time a new OS is release, a new SDK is released for that, which has a countless number of new calls and methods that a developer needs to learn? Pick up a book, research what goes into creating an App first, before you criticize those that do it. If it wasn't for the developers that you are rushing, there would be no apps for you to play with. Give it time, there will be a flood of apps coming in soon.

As for the rest of your complaints, they are pointless. You will never have flash with any Apple device. LTE, maybe you'll get with the iPhone 5, but I doubt it. Flash memory, I highly doubt they'll ever allow that.

In the end, it's your decision what you want to do. If you read any type of news sources, you would have known last Wednesday that Apple was announcing their iPad 2 yesterday. You easily could have waited until then to buy the Xoom. Know, you can easily return it, but it will cost you $70 in restocking fees. You should do some research, and come to your own conclusions. Asking a forum of people you don't know, and who don't know you, to tell you what to do doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
To the OP(original poster), if being undecided whether to keep your Xoom or not/your only gripe is the fact that their isn't 4G, SD card slot, Adobe Flash, & many apps yet, then you probably should have waited about 90+ days until all these things will become available. Also regarding the limited apps, as others have already mentioned, both the iPad & Xoom had limited apps when they first came out due to when the SDK was released to developers. Not sure if you own an Android phone or not, however, I can guarantee you that all the nice apps which you can now download for an Android phone (check out the Android Market to see), will become available soon for the Xoom and then there won't be any question who the "King Of Tablets/Smartphones" is.

PS: If you are looking to dump your Xoom, I'll buy it tomorrow for $500 cash.

crbuckn2

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
here's my biggest problem with this whole debate. i love android, i got the D1 the day it came out. i've had an ipod touch since day 1 also. i always slam iOS due to the lack of options and everything being app driven. however, its hard to debate that the D1 is already all but obsolete, half the apps in the market hardly run on the D1. Its pitiful attempt to run angry birds is laughable (got better with overclocking, but still underwhelming). that being said, my ipod touch which is 3 years old runs angry birds and every other app in the market like a champ.

if im going to shell out $800 for a tablet, i would love for it to be usable for more than 1 year. based on the perpetual android race for technology, i just dont see the android tablets being viable for more than a year or 1.5 years before the next best thing comes out and i am forced to buy another tablet just to run half the apps.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Apple never mentions RAM of exactly how fast processors are on their devices. People find that out with teardowns of them. But if it works flawlessly with less RAM that the Xoom and the Xoom freezes occasionally and lags at times, what does it really matter? As long as it does what it's supposed to do seamlessly, the tech specs mean nothing.

You have to get the best device for you. But right now, 800 bucks for a device lacking apps and inconsistent performance isn't worth it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple never mentions RAM of exactly how fast processors are on their devices. People find that out with teardowns of them. But if it works flawlessly with less RAM that the Xoom and the Xoom freezes occasionally and lags at times, what does it really matter? As long as it does what it's supposed to do seamlessly, the tech specs mean nothing.

You have to get the best device for you. But right now, 800 bucks for a device lacking apps and inconsistent performance isn't worth it.

I agree.

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want your xoom anymore.. Ill trade you a rooted gtab for it >.< or you can just give it to me ill party shipping lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that my Xoom will have to last me for a couple of years. Ibdon't believe that it will become technologically obsolete within that time frame. While I can anticipate that quad core technology will be in the market in a year or so, I expect that developers will continue to make applications that will run on the installed base, which will be growing fast with the introduction of other honeycomb tablets.

I think that having access to LTE is the factor that will extend the usefulness of some of the early Verizon tablets, as well as having access to so called 4g technology for other GSM carriers.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
please your.jacket about the smart cover. sorry to.burst your.bubble but Apple stole that idea also. http://technologer.net/2011/03/03/did-apple-just-borrow-the-smart-cover-idea-from-incase/
I just got the xoom last Thursday when I was hanging around in the verizon,and was attracted by the tablet.AND this is my 1st time to use the Android system,i used to be an Apple fan...
As you see,the ipad 2 is coming,though we dont know the actual ram,it is really lighter and thinner than the xoom, and the smart cover is really cooool!!!But nothing but the appearance and Processor has changed,still the demn screen,still unsure about the JB of ios 4.3.
Yet as Jobs said yesterday,they got more than 65,000apps fit for ipad or ipad2,compared to the at most 100 for xoom.And I cannot stand anymore the lack of flash or LTE network.
As an Apple fan,i really should gain the new comer,but ipad 2 is at least not good than Xoom ,except for the damn platform(indeed the lack of apps for android 3..0,what the hell the Android developers are doin?)
But i really do not need two similar tablet,it's quite a waste when you have an JB iphone4,a macbook pro,an imac,and both the xoom and ipad2...
I am confused what i should do?should i return the xoom and wait for the ipad 2?If so, could i get back the full refund?
Or else,I just wait for the Adobe Flash 10.2 and SD slot,and then the 4G network?
PLZ PLZ PLZ,help me out of the puzzle...
Tnx a lot for your patience and help.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol