Verizon 3G Data Already Used Up? Data leak?

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I barely use the 3g Verizon data plan since I'm always by Wifi but I do see it on once in a while when I wake up my Xoom. I've literally used 3g outside about 3 times for a total of 20 minutes and I just got a notification from Verizon that I've used half my 1GIG. WTF? Anyone else seeing this issue?

What will happen when we have LTE? Will cost us a fortune! This is making me think of getting the G-Slate from T-Mobile that has 5gig of data compared to 1 for Verizon at a much lower cost.

earlyxoomer

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i left my 3g turned on last night while i was home and clearly in my own wi-fi zone and today it says i used 11 meg of data. i will pay closer attention to this and do further testing.

thegunslinger1

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have used my 3G just a hand full of times, otherwise it is turned off and hooked up to wifi and i have used 25% of my monthly data. If what Zmenchhofer said is correct I would have only used 10%, which still seems like a lot, I will definitely be getting off the 3g as soon as possible just in case.

radsaq

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
As far as I am aware, the Xoom comes with the wifi setting to "keep wifi on always, even while asleep" (at least, that's how mine came, and that is *not* how my phone is set--though I doubt it's a setting that's synced).

However, after I purchased the Xoom I sat in the parking lot and activated it while a friend picked up some food. After doing so, it proceeded to download 100+ apps that I have on my phone and used up about 200mb in the process.

(It should really make it more clear that it's doing this--it took a while and I didn't realize until afterwards that that was why the device was operating so slowly in the beginning.)

alent1234

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
a few days after getting my inspire it almost made me mad enough to take it back. i left a website open for the whole afternoon and never used the phone. 3g watchdog tells me i used 50MB in a few hours.

get rid of any unwanted widgets, set pulse to update only on wifi, etc. i like some widgets but in the end you're burning through data when you're not using your device

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
check your wifi sleep policy - if your wifi is turned off when screen is off the xoom falls back on 3g service.

work around - i only enable my data service if i'm walking out of my home.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
check your wifi sleep policy - if your wifi is turned off when screen is off the xoom falls back on 3g service.

work around - i only enable my data service if i'm walking out of my home.

People shouldn't have to do that to save money. All the tweak and turning settings on and off to mange battery and data connection is overkill. If my device is sleep, it shouldn't matter what my WiFi settings are. If it's sleep it should use data at all until I turn it back on ESPECIALLY if I have no apps running in the background.

Reactions: mrnserv

radsaq

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
People shouldn't have to do that to save money. All the tweak and turning settings on and off to mange battery and data connection is overkill. If my device is sleep, it shouldn't matter what my WiFi settings are. If it's sleep it should use data at all until I turn it back on ESPECIALLY if I have no apps running in the background.

If that is what you want, just disable background data/sync in the accounts and sync settings. If those are enabled, by definition you are telling android to keep itself up to date at any time.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If that is what you want, just disable background data/sync in the accounts and sync settings. If those are enabled, by definition you are telling android to keep itself up to date at any time.

I'd advise anyone with an Android device to disable sync or make it so it only updates once a day. But we aren't talking about syncing. We are talking about having to manage the wifi sleep policies to not use 3G. And people talking about they turn 3G data service off and back on when they leave their houses. Why do I have to turn 3G on and off? It's just dumb to have to constantly manage the device and turn GPS, Wifi, data on and off. Overkill.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'd advise anyone with an Android device to disable sync or make it so it only updates once a day. But we aren't talking about syncing. We are talking about having to manage the wifi sleep policies to not use 3G. And people talking about they turn 3G data service off and back on when they leave their houses. Why do I have to turn 3G on and off? It's just dumb to have to constantly manage the device and turn GPS, Wifi, data on and off. Overkill.
You either need to manually manage data connections, or you need to encourage your app devs to give an option so they ONLY update via wifi.

Is it annoying? yes. But that's the tradeoff if you want a device that syncs information for you automatically.

slbailey1

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
#slbailey1 - How do you tell it not too?

I have a Droid Incredible this is one of the settings:
Settings =>WiFi and Networks uncheck the box that say "Use phone for data connection when WiFi is unavailable.

There should be another setting that you can check to keep WiFi on while sleeping. I'm trying to find it.

birdie

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the same question. I have 3G; never used it and am now wondering if I have unknown to me data usage since I have made no setting changes. What app or widget are you using to monitor usage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital