Post iPad2: Why I Bought the Xoom

kantFTW

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, after the iPad announcement, I went to Verizon and bought a Xoom.

When the first iPad came out, I was nearly an early adopter. What kept me away was knowing that a dual camera model was an absolute certainty (especially after Face time and the iPhone 4) and understanding that it wasn't just a first-gen device, but the first-gen of a new hardware segment of successful, consumer tablet computers. I don't believe either of these to be Apple's fault or, as some suspect, intentional obsolesence, but more so just an attemt to get the device to market at a competitive price.

So yesterday, I expected the iPad 2 to be announced with certain features, and for the most part, Apple delivered. There's no 4G, but in the era of tethering smartphones and wifi hotspots, that's not too important to me. Also absent is an SD card slot, but I understand Apple's concern for security and, frankly, I own three or four devices which I've never removed the SD card, so again, not much of a disappountment.

One of the iPad's greatest strengths is IOS. It really is so simple your grandmother could pick up the device and use it. If you haven't used an iPad, then you really don't know just how akin it is to the epitome of simplicity. Rows of apps. What do you want to do? Touh-it-and-go. The interface shows just truely how in-touch with consumers Apple is.

So why did I get a Xoom?

In many ways, I feel Honeycomb is the vice of IOS. It's not easy or simple, and has a bit of a learning curve. But you gain widgets, which can give you information like weather, what song you're listening to on pandora, latest headlines from your favorite news source, and more WITHOUT having to open an app. I have a powerful desktop for heavy computing, a laptop for when I need processing (or WoW, hehe) on the go, and a smartphone for when I'm out on the road. I wanted a tablet for fast, light computing: checking a quick email, seeing what the weather was like, fact-checking the TV, and reading a news article on the couch. Widgets, and granted there aren't many great ones yet, to me, are key to the design philosophy of a tablet, and Honeycomb arguably does them best.

Android also doesn't shy away from customization. On IOS, you can change your picture in the background or move around apps, but Apple sure won't let you root it and surely won't allow unapproved apps. I've heard the walled garden argument to death, and I can understand Apple's drive to provide a uniform, safe experience. I would rather have the flexibility to modify my device as I wish, even if I never do. Every time I see an IOS device, I can't help but feel they are all the same.

As per the price, the Xoom is a good value in my eyes for what it does. I understand the computer industry to be heavily comoditized with narrow margins. There's a lot of cutting edge technology in the Xoom, and the comparable 3G iPad doesn't cost significantly less than the soon-to-be 4G Xoom. I suppose everyone has a budget, and the Xoom fits comfortably in mine.

So there are my reasons. Not facts, totally opinions. So far, I've been loving my Xoom!

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you. I bought a Xoom last week at Costco(So I could have 90 day return policy). I wanted to see what the Ipad2 was going to be. I have an apple laptop, and am generally fond of apple products, but have never owned an IOS device because I was on Verizon. I consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I'm no genius. I feel like the Ipad is really, nothing but a storage device for all of the apps they sell. It's a glorified thumb drive with a screen. iOS is just that simple. It has great apps and nobody can deny that, but I feel it is just too simple for me. I like that I'm able to customize my desktop, and have widget, and multitask. Apple will always be ahead in the App Market, therefore it will always lead the market, no matter what the other OS's are put there. So far I love my Xoom and hope there are a flood of apps soon to help ease that bit of doubt I have from not buying an Ipad instead.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

ZBoater

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
To me Live Wallpapers are a Xoom feature iPad owners should really drool about. I mean, on a Droid they look cool. On a Xoom they are stunning.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
To me Live Wallpapers are a Xoom feature iPad owners should really drool about. I mean, on a Droid they look cool. On a Xoom they are stunning.

Yeah live wallpapers make a device sweet. People should get a Xoom because of the live wallpapers. That make the user experience so awesome. Forget about the occasional lag, temporary freezing, high price and no apps. Go grab it for the wallpapers and widgets.

Reactions: EleventhHour2139

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah live wallpapers make a device sweet. People should get a Xoom because of the live wallpapers. That make the user experience so awesome. Forget about the occasional lag, temporary freezing, high price and no apps. Go grab it for the wallpapers and widgets.

Enjoy your iPad then. I will enjoy my Xoom.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

high price... if people are hurting for 800 bucks they need to re-situate their life and stop worry about expensive gadgets.

occasional lag... i have watched a movie with a game on in the background, widgets on every page, and still no a hint of slowness. if android didn't multi-task, and only had apps on every page it would be 3 times faster then IOS hands down. Oh wait it already is.

temporary freezing... every device experiences this no b*ll****. i have had 2 iphones and 2 android devices they all experience freezing at some point.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
high price... if people are hurting for 800 bucks they need to re-situate their life and stop worry about expensive gadgets.

occasional lag... i have watched a movie with a game on in the background, widgets on every page, and still no a hint of slowness. if android didn't multi-task, and only had apps on every page it would be 3 times faster then IOS hands down. Oh wait it already is.

temporary freezing... every device experiences this no b*ll****. i have had 2 iphones and 2 android devices they all experience slowness.

you don't work in marketing do you?

its not the the fact thats its 800, its the fact that its 800 on contract..most android tablets will fail the same reason why carrier made netbooks failed.

contracts

The wifi version should have been the first one out.

Reactions: EleventhHour2139

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
you don't work in marketing do you?

its not the the fact thats its 800, its the fact that its 800 on contract..most android tablets will fail the same reason why carrier made netbooks failed.

contracts

The wifi version should have been the first one out.

its not 800 on contract, get your facts right.... and like i said this isnt a toy its not meant for kids. its a luxury; the fact that apple sells more ipads then anyone else is nothing to me or motorola, they wanted a peice of the market and they will get it. you think porche cares that that honda sells a million hondas??? they could care less, xoom is for the wealthy not the masses.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The 32GB 3G/4G Xoom is $799, off-contract. The 32GB 3G iPad 2 is $729, off-contract. Yes, that's more for the Xoom, but of course the ability to upgrade to 4G is worth real money to those who need it.

It's looking like the 32GB wifi-only Xoom could be as low as $539 (at Sam's Club, per the recent rumor), vs. the 32GB wifi-only iPad 2 at $599. If that turns out to be the case, then the Xoom, of course, will be $60 less than the iPad 2 for the same model, and only $40 more for twice the storage.

Really, I wish this whole pricing thing would just go away. It's ridiculous. The Xoom is not significantly more expensive than the iPad 2, period. The only real difference is that it's not yet offered with the same or as many versions. At the very least, as we who know better talk about this topic, let's at least be accurate.

Reactions: Nchaka and farwest

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
The 32GB 3G/4G Xoom is $799, off-contract. The 32GB 3G iPad 2 is $729, off-contract. Yes, that's more for the Xoom, but of course the ability to upgrade to 4G is worth real money to those who need it.

It's looking like the 32GB wifi-only Xoom could be as low as $539 (at Sam's Club, per the recent rumor), vs. the 32GB wifi-only iPad 2 at $599. If that turns out to be the case, then the Xoom, of course, will be $60 less than the iPad 2 for the same model, and only $40 more for twice the storage.

Really, I wish this whole pricing thing would just go away. It's ridiculous. The Xoom is not significantly more expensive than the iPad 2, period. The only real difference is that it's not yet offered with the same or as many versions. At the very least, as we who know better talk about this topic, let's at least be accurate.

Exactly. If you add the $39 HDMI to the iPad, they are even closer in price.

I've been loving my Xoom. It's funny how a bunch of people are on here trashing it. Don't they have something better to do???
I barely go on here, because I'm busy enjoying my Xoom.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I can afford it and I still thought about the price...granted a few days in. :)
But obviously the price made you nervous and made you hesitate as we have already established that the money was your primary reason for not keeping it. By your own admission you would have kept it and been happy had you gotten it for $600+tax. It was about price for you!

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice post. I prefer the iPad for what I need it to do, bit there's no arguing your reasons for choosing the xoom as it works for your needs.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You gotta think about how the common consumer usually buys the base version 16 gigs wifi or 3g. The xoom needs a base version that competes at that level.

Also from a marketing standpoint the way that they handled the 4G model was done poorly.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
theres always a way to get any product for less money than it costs

...cost of a product isnt a rich/poor thing

its a good shopper/bad shopper thing

those who got it for 25% off from moto=smart shoppers
those who tricked best buy into price matching it at $599=good shoppers
those who got verizon to give it to them for $499=good shoppers

those who paid $799 w/o any plans to ever use 3g/4g data=not smart
(especially since we all kno there will def. be a wifi only model)

i bought mine for $599 from verizon ...then called them a few days later and bluffed wanting to cancel the data plan and they offered me a $100 credit to keep the 2 year agreement

its all bout how you plan your purchase in order to make things pan out in your best interest ...sticking it to major corporations is much easier than you think...it just takes a little bit of skill and patience

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol