Remote to control Xoom media?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for some kind of physical remote that can control the Xoom media player (at a minimum).

Ideal remote functions:
Be able to turn the screen on/off
Bring up media player
Pause/Play/FF/RW Audio
Launch voice search
Launch text search

Bluetooth, wifi... anything that works :)

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey OP, here is a dumb question, why would you need a remote control to control the music player on a portable device? When you are using the Xoom, wouldn't it always be in your hands or within reach in order for you to just pick it up and make selections with the music player on the screen. Help me out here, thanks

PS: If you have a physical ailment which prevents you from picking up the device, then accept my apology and their wouldn't be a need to explain.

epakrat75

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The OP likely would prefer to remotely control the tablet while sitting in a recliner, on a couch, etc since the tablet is probably connected to the HDMI port of the TV. If so, count me in on that! Sure, I could just easily grab the 1st party Moto XOOM keyboard accessory but it'd be even more cool (and likely more cost effective) to be able to use my Galaxy S phone as the remote controller for the XOOM instead. If anyone knows of such an app that they've either made or used in this capacity, let us know.

Last edited:

epakrat75

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Sure, that would work. Thanks for the reply. However, that's certainly more expensive / overkill than the bluetooth keyboard Moto provides. It just seems to me that a $5-$10 Market app that has a both a client (phone) / server (tablet) piece and works over bluetooth / WiFi should suffice. Am I wrong? Of course, you'd have to have an Android phone in addition to your XOOM but I don't think that's totally out of the question here.

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The bluetooth Moto keyboard works excellent! I was hesitant to get it but find it extremely useful. It has several "arrow" keys on it that can be used to switch pages/screens and generally move about sorta mouse like. It of course has built in android shortcuts. For me it turned out to be a good buy and its very functional. Hope that helps.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey OP, here is a dumb question, why would you need a remote control to control the music player on a portable device? When you are using the Xoom, wouldn't it always be in your hands or within reach in order for you to just pick it up and make selections with the music player on the screen. Help me out here, thanks

PS: If you have a physical ailment which prevents you from picking up the device, then accept my apology and their wouldn't be a need to explain.
I have found that it would be nice to have a physical remote with real keys on a device like this. I used to have the same thought as you when I had XM. WHy would I need a remote when the device is within arms reach when driving? I quickly found that having a remote I didn't have to look at while driving to change the channel was nice. Now I have a Droid X and a XOOM both mounted in the car and find the touch screen hard to navigate while on the move. Having a physical remote with "hard" keys would make changing the music or other media a dream whle on the go or just relaxing across the room.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Most remotes use an infra red light pulses to transmit the command signals, as far as I know the Xoom doesn't have an IR receiver built in. I suppose it would be possible for a dev to write an app to send those commands over BT then you might be able to use an android phone as a remote control.

The Sony PS3 uses a BT remote.