I love my Xoom - Tablet Evolution - 1 Week Opinion

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It's been a week of non stop use for me.

I thought this thing would sit on my coffee table and be a go to Wiki device with some email accounts and angry birds tied to it and let me just say I was wrong. Before I got the Xoom, I really wanted a tablet but wasn't quite sure how it would fit in to my every day life.

I got my Evo on launch day and wouldn't give it up, but the Xoom is becoming my go to communication device, my go to stats for work device, admin device, default browsing device and I've played more games in the last week on my Xoom than I have on my xbox or PC combined in the last 6 months.

Honeycomb is the base of a true new version of Android, this is really more like a super fast portable PC than like a handset.

Android handsets are great and you can do a lot on them, but the Xoom, everything just seems easier and it's so fast it makes the tedious type of stuff a tad more pleasurable because:

a) I'm not fumbling around a smaller screen and
b) when I do things I feel like I'm on Star Trek:TNG and I've just checked the ship's logs for the overnight watch.
c) It's faster than waking up a PC
d) I can get to more information faster than switching tabs on a browser
e) You can bring it practically anywhere
f) The battery lasts forever

I have to say, this is an awesome device and as well the Thumb Keyboard app is a MUST HAVE - it changed the whole input experience drastically. I hope Moto or other tablet OEMs or Google start buying licenses in bulk and just release it on anything 7" or bigger.

I know there's been some threads focusing on the Xoom's competition the last 24 hours - please, direct your attention here:

YouTube - Tablet Evolution presented by Motorola

About your doubts:

If you're concerned about Adobe Flash, or your favorite apps being Honeycomb compatible, or Google updating the market, or the 4G upgrade, or the sdcard, or whatever it is, just realize owning a Xoom right now is like investing in the future. You're ahead of the curve waiting for literally more than a thousand different things to catch up and inter-operate with each other. All of these issues will be worked out in due time (which I believe to be extremely short if you've seen the number of app updates in the last week).

This is a tremendously awesome piece of hardware made by one of the world's best companies that has been around for quite some time. The software was literally designed by some of the smartest people on the planet.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
It's been a week of non stop use for me.

I thought this thing would sit on my coffee table and be a go to Wiki device with some email accounts and angry birds tied to it and let me just say I was wrong. Before I got the Xoom, I really wanted a tablet but wasn't quite sure how it would fit in to my every day life.

I got my Evo on launch day and wouldn't give it up, but the Xoom is becoming my go to communication device, my go to stats for work device, admin device, default browsing device and I've played more games in the last week on my Xoom than I have on my xbox or PC combined in the last 6 months.

Honeycomb is the base of a true new version of Android, this is really more like a super fast portable PC than like a handset.

Android handsets are great and you can do a lot on them, but the Xoom, everything just seems easier and it's so fast it makes the tedious type of stuff a tad more pleasurable because:

a) I'm not fumbling around a smaller screen and
b) when I do things I feel like I'm on Star Trek:TNG and I've just checked the ship's logs for the overnight watch.
c) It's faster than waking up a PC
d) I can get to more information faster than switching tabs on a browser
e) You can bring it practically anywhere
f) The battery lasts forever

I have to say, this is an awesome device and as well the Thumb Keyboard app is a MUST HAVE - it changed the whole input experience drastically. I hope Moto or other tablet OEMs or Google start buying licenses in bulk and just release it on anything 7" or bigger.

I know there's been some threads focusing on the Xoom's competition the last 24 hours - please, direct your attention here:

YouTube - Tablet Evolution presented by Motorola

About your doubts:

If you're concerned about Adobe Flash, or your favorite apps being Honeycomb compatible, or Google updating the market, or the 4G upgrade, or the sdcard, or whatever it is, just realize owning a Xoom right now is like investing in the future. You're ahead of the curve waiting for literally more than a thousand different things to catch up and inter-operate with each other. All of these issues will be worked out in due time (which I believe to be extremely short if you've seen the number of app updates in the last week).

This is a tremendously awesome piece of hardware made by one of the world's best companies that has been around for quite some time. The software was literally designed by some of the smartest people on the planet.

couldn't have said it better. i havent put my tablet down at all. especially since i get all my shows and movies on it directly without having to do a thing. what is better then just watching "modern family" download to your device while you browse?

good on ya!

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why anyone would want that piece of crap. Tablets are garbage. Except the iPad. The iPad rules.

Just kidding. I'm posting this from my Xoom which I love love love.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I played with the XOOM for about 20 minutes and it blew my mind. Its so much better than an iPad. I don't feel that the price is that high when you are comparing the two.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
WiFi tethering works perfectly with the Xoom on my Nexus One. Since they both have the native hotspot feature, I should turn both on and make both use each others connection instead. Lol

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
couldn't have said it better. i havent put my tablet down at all. especially since i get all my shows and movies on it directly without having to do a thing. what is better then just watching "modern family" download to your device while you browse?

good on ya!

Care to expound on this?

Love my Xoom also.....@thefredelement, you pretty much helped me make my decision after your reviews. Thanks.

XOOM!

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
As an IT guy, this has proven to be one of the best tools in my arsenal. I can walk around the office with it to support users, RDP into my servers from any desk in the office and manage a users account, SSH into my linux boxes, review log files on all my servers without being tied to my desk, retrieve all my emails and reply to them comfortably, read all my news, watch some videos for entertainment, create word and excel documents, carry ALL of my technical books and documents on the device (in PDF and EPUB format), take notes and 1000's of other things. I love this thing. Before I was walking around with a netbook but that was still awkward even though it was smaller. Couldn't really hold a netbook with one hand and use the mouse pad and keyboard with the other and always fearful the drive failing from all the moving around it got.

When I am out of the office I have Mobile Admin from rove on it to RDP into my servers and I am currently looking for a good SIP program so I can attach to my VOIP PBX system at the office.

Reactions: 2CupsWithString

CD1X

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
just bought the bluetooth keyboard for my Xoom today and WOW.....I was already attached but now im just GLUED to this thing....My Desktop is starting to collect dust now....I Absolutely love the Xoom!!!! $600 well spent if you ask me.

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone, it's good to see some Xoom owners here who are really enjoying this great device. I don't currently own the Xoom yet, will be getting it in about a month. My question is, it seems like each one of you who responded are not having the issues other people on this forum and others that I've been reading are having. I would like to ask a favor from each of you. Seeing that you are able to successfully view movies, tv shows, connect to your office network, & such could you please indicate which apps you are using to achieve these tasks. I'm sure all of us here would be grateful for this info. For those who have already indicated the app used to perform certain tasks, let me be the first to say - Thank You.

Nchaka

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me for butting in
Question about flash... Does Flash work at all on the Xoom? Can you use flash 10.1 until 10.2 comes out? The reason I ask is that my online course requires flash (for reasons unknown). I tried to log on at best buy and it worked. The online course won't let me logon on my iPhone (nothing that resembles flash- thank you Steve Jobs!)
And thanks to everyone for the great info and reviews.