What are we compairing

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok I am probably going to get balsted for this but I am getting tired of hearing so many people either complain about how much this Xoom is or worse compairing to the Ipad and the wrong I pad for that matter.

First off when you want to compair price of the Ipad and the Xoom at least you could compair the one that has the same spec's. It is getting realy irritating to hear so many people on here say how much more the Xoom is than the Ipad when they are saying the Ipad only costs 500$. At $800 you are only spending $70 more than you would for the same ram version of the Ipad. If you add in the need to dock your Ipad to gain an HDMI port then you are looking at $800 for the Ipad just so you can hook it up to you TV. For that $500 price tag what are you getting really. And the Xoom wifi only version will be equal to or less that the wifi only version of the same memory sized Ipad. So there you even make out by getting all the extras the Xoom has to offer. I am sure people are not over at the iphone/ipad side of this site going ok the ipad with 16gb of memory is only $400 right now but the 64gb one is $830 right now that is way to much to spend.... they are going which one do i want to get.

Also what is up with people saying how bad this device is compaired to the Ipad. Is it missing some things yes. are apps in short supply yes. This is such a cutting edge device apples own said he did not want to get into a debate about it. he is just shrugging it off as that does not mean anything and you are a neanderthal for even thinking it does. that the spit and polished Ipad is the only device you will ever need in his post PC erra. Of course they have more apps they have been here for 10 months longer than the Xoom or 3.0 has been around. Wait 10 months and see how many apps are arround for the Zoom. The Xoom will catch up and when it does you will have the best experiance out ther and a fast enough tablet to do it with....

Reactions: SHWELL and Nchaka

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
People are not mad that the xoom has a 799 model, they are mad because that is the only available model. For most people , this is their first tablet and they do not need all the bells and whistles in the current xoom for that price.

A perfect example is the ps3 vs xbox360. Low barrier of entry and choice will always win out against high end specs. The bottom line is if someone goes into a store today and they only have $400, they can buy the ipad but they need to save another $400 to get the Xoom. There is something seriously wrong with that picture for two companies with directly competing products. Oh....and don't forget, Apple already has the brand dominance and mindshare of the average customer and now they're even cheaper (perception is reality in this case). Moto has NO chance in HELL against the ipad if they don't come out with an affordable wifi version quick

Reactions: scorpiodsu

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
People are not mad that the xoom has a 799 model, they are mad because that is the only available model. For most people , this is their first tablet and they do not need all the bells and whistles in the current xoom for that price.

A perfect example is the ps3 vs xbox360. Low barrier of entry and choice will always win out against high end specs. The bottom line is if someone goes into a store today and they only have $400, they can buy the ipad but they need to save another $400 to get the Xoom. There is something seriously wrong with that picture for two companies with directly competing products. Oh....and don't forget, Apple already has the brand dominance and mindshare of the average customer and now they're even cheaper (perception is reality in this case). Moto has NO chance in HELL against the ipad if they don't come out with an affordable wifi version quick

This actually brings up a very good point. Think about the console market right now. Comparing tablets to consoles we would actually make the 360 = iPad (yes I know one is apple and one microsoft but just go with me on this), PS3 = Xoom, and Galaxy Tab = Wii.

Now everyone who wants to play "multi-console (tablet)" games will be going out to buy the 360. Why?... It has a better marketplace, better online content, and a much bigger community. Now, the PS3 came out after the 360 with a much higher price tag (sound familiar yet?) but it came out with better hardware, optimized software, but lacked the same online content that made the 360 a success. Sony is still playing the catch up game to match the price of the PS3 with 360, but 360 still rules the console market share. Then comes the Wii which is a 3rd console but really isn't considered a true competitor.

Now look at those examples and think of the 360 as the iPad and PS3 as the Xoom. Big connection there.

Reactions: Nchaka

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I think we're all being too hard on Moto. The reality of the situation is that the tablet war is Apple vs Android (ALL Android...not just moto) I think Moto needs to tag out and let the other manufacturers tag into this fight cos they will get murdered if they stand alone.lol

Reactions: PsYcHoNeWb

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I think we're all being too hard on Moto. The reality of the situation is that the tablet war is Apple vs Android (ALL Android...not just moto) I think Moto needs to tag out and let the other manufacturers tag into this fight cos they will get murdered if they stand alone.lol

Absolutly. I think that Motorola gets all the bad reviews up front because most of the time they are the first one out to battle the Apple. They were one of the first to directly challenege the iPhone (original Droid), then again with the Droid X. Yes, HTC/Samsung make good devices too, but Motorola had the first Droid on Verizon that directly had commercials that took on the iPhone.

Others seemt to follow what Motorola does so in repsect Motorola should be thanked for starting the trends in Android devices.

woodsb123

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree with most of what is being said here. My comment is that with Motorola being the first company to put out a Honeycomb based device on the market, they are the only company we can currently talk about. Now, if they had've taken the same initiative that Apple did and put out the Xoom in different price ranges, including a wifi version from the start, we wouldn't be having this conversation and they wouldn't be getting hammered about their pricing. The conversation would probably be about the fact that just like Android/Google has blown Apple out of the water with their phones, they are going to do the same with their tablets. Also, based on what I've been hearing lately, it looks like we will be getting our wish here very soon and most company's are going to start doing what Apple is doing and reconsidering their pricing on tablets. Just take a look at this article from Samsung. Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 found lacking by Samsung compared to iPad 2, price cut may be coming | Android Community

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the 3G only Xoom, is based on some sort of aggreement/Contract with Verizon.. That is the only logical reason I can understand that they did it.

As for most of the above, I agree with some.. I am happy with my Xoom as is, at current pricing. All the short comings will be taken care of in a timely fashion, and then we will all be happy little campers.

As the OP mentioned, how much is the Price difference really?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You can't be a new entrant to the market with a new platform and price your ONLY device a significant amount higher than the current leader when that leader is Apple. Point blank.

Reactions: original00

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
You can't be a new entrant to the market with a new platform and price your ONLY device a significant amount higher than the current leader when that leader is Apple. Point blank.

I agree and I think that is what Motorola failed at. If they put on the pricing of the Xoom at $600 for the 3G/4G version and then have the release of the WiFi only version for about $400-450 it would be a much better competition. Still not on the same price scale but better than what they currently offer.

In this market, Motorola only hda 2 ways to knock of the king of the hill:
  1. Make a product that works just like the iPad but come in at a lower price.
  2. Make a products that revolutionized what the tablet does and the way we will use them

They failed to do both of these things and that is why the Xoom may never be viewed as the true iPad killer.

Reactions: scorpiodsu

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree and I think that is what Motorola failed at. If they put on the pricing of the Xoom at $600 for the 3G/4G version and then have the release of the WiFi only version for about $400-450 it would be a much better competition. Still not on the same price scale but better than what they currently offer.

In this market, Motorola only hda 2 ways to knock of the king of the hill:
  1. Make a product that works just like the iPad but come in at a lower price.
  2. Make a products that revolutionized what the tablet does and the way we will use them

They failed to do both of these things and that is why the Xoom may never be viewed as the true iPad killer.

Fully agree. To price it that high you have to be head and shoulders above the competition and right now it's marginal at best and that's even if a person thinks it is better than the iPad. And if you aren't heads and shoulders better, it has to be priced better.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Fully agree. To price it that high you have to be head and shoulders above the competition and right now it's marginal at best and that's even if a person thinks it is better than the iPad. And if you aren't heads and shoulders better, it has to be priced better.

I agree. I think too that people need to look at what they use the thing for. For me I use my wife's ipad to surf the net and watch movies primarily through netflix. I'll also be buying a ip2 so I can facetime my kids while I'm at work. The Xoom is a powerful device and has lot's of potential, but it can't do netflix, and it isn't nearly as good a media player as the ipad. Plus with ios 4.3 I can easily stream all my media to the ip2 from itunes. The Xoom seems like it would be good for gmail, and surfing with flash (although I don't use flash much) and has lots of potential. To each his own. It's hard to deny though that from a build standpoint that there are any android devices, phones or tabs, that can compete with the iphone4 or ipad in terms of build quality.

mordbane

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Moto is just cashing in on the pent up demand for a flagship Android tablet. They could have charged $1000 for the Xoom and sold just as many. They aren't trying to compete with iPad at this point, they're after the Android loyalist early adopters. With absent features and few apps they don't have a chance of selling units to people indifferent to Apple or Android at any price.

Sent from my grubby hand

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the thing with Motorola is that they are becoming what they think is the "hardcore droid maker" meaning they will make high end devices with crazy components that fully utilize the operating systems potential. Take for example the Droid X. No other phone had a screen that size before (HTC EVO I guess) combined with a 1ghz processor, large amounts of onboard RAM, and such a crystal clear screen. Pricing on that was nothing short of crazy (if you bought it retail to not extend a contract which I did) and I think they are pulling the same thing again being the first with Tegra HD Dual Core Processor and Android OS3 combined w/ 4G.

I think their problem is they come out with things before they are fully ready and they expect all the hardcore Android fans to run out and buy it and deal with the other skeptic later after we, the hardcore users, are the test bunnies.

stray

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

iPads never had a problem with actively melting down, as far as I'm aware... then again I was a former 360 supporter that will probably never buy another MS product again.

Apples to oranges, regardless... Motorola has no real brand recognition at play here. They're pretty much hosed by whatever Verizon exclusivity deal they signed until the wifi Xoom can hit store shelves. Right now you can either pay $800 and still have to sign up for Verizon service before it's even usable, or sign a contract to save $200 and still have to pay $480 + tax (at minimum) over the life of the device. TCO is pretty high either way, not because there's a kitchen sink in there, but just to use it at all.

Longer term I'd like to think Android tablets will make netbooks extinct and allow the same functionality we've come to expect from laptops. Apple is already seeing laptop sales drop because of tablets and revamping it's Mac OS experience to make it more like an iPhone/iPad. I think it's a matter of when more than if... and if Android/Moto/Sammy/LG screw it up there's always WebOS and the Playbook.