Do you have data plan for your Xoom?

Do you have Verizon data plan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

schnyd

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I have the 1 gig plan. Should be enough since I dont plan on doing anything like Pandora on the device. In my opinion its pointless to not have a data plan. I could use my droid as a hotspot nut that's a pain in the ass in my opinion.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have the month to month plan for 1GB of data. I thought to cancel it right away but actually have used it a few times (when I didn't want to destroy my phone's battery w/4g tethering) and it's alright. The VZW 3G where I am in NY seems to be pretty fast.

macedaddy

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
are you able to completely turn off the data (airplane mode) to insure you aren't using data when you don't want to? I'd like to have the ability to use data but currently only use wifi. No contract.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
are you able to completely turn off the data (airplane mode) to insure you aren't using data when you don't want to? I'd like to have the ability to use data but currently only use wifi. No contract.

Sure, in settings you just un check mobile network and you're off the network.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to withhold my vote, because as of today I don't have a data plan but I am considering adding it. I have the Droid 1 with an unlimited data plan, but apparently you can't tether the Xoom to it so I may get the $20/month plan just to have some mobility when outside WiFi hotspots.

Costco charges the $35 activation fee, but then rebates it, so I would only be paying the monthly fee and for $20, I might just do it. Since I purchased the Xoom at Best Buy, the challenge is to see if Costco will let me activate it!

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to withhold my vote, because as of today I don't have a data plan but I am considering adding it. I have the Droid 1 with an unlimited data plan, but apparently you can't tether the Xoom to it so I may get the $20/month plan just to have some mobility when outside WiFi hotspots.

Costco charges the $35 activation fee, but then rebates it, so I would only be paying the monthly fee and for $20, I might just do it. Since I purchased the Xoom at Best Buy, the challenge is to see if Costco will let me activate it!
Well I can now vote: I activated 3G on my Xoom yesterday!

Short answer: Costco would not let me activate it there, because I didn't purchase the Xoom there.

Since I purchased it at Best Buy, that was my next stop, because I figured if I was going to pay a $35 activation fee I would at least get some Reward Points back. However, the BB guy said he wouldn't be charging me a fee. So I got the 1GB plan at $20/month and walked out with my Xoom activated at no additional cost. :)

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I decided to go with the 1GB plan on my xoom. I did not go with a two year contract because I might go to wifi only depending on how much data I actually use.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Without a VZW plan, can you activate/deactivate as needed and get prorated billing? Say you activate for just a week - do you get charged for a whole month if you deactivate after that week? On my Sprint EVO Hotspot, you are only billed for usage - so I would not have to pay for a month, just the week I used it.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Okay I walked into verizon yesterday to buy a case and the guy asked me what plan I was using. I am using tethering from my phone at 20 dollars for two gigs. I do not understand why it is 20 for 1 gig on the Xoom. He offered me a free mifi at 35 for 3 gigs. Why can't there be just one set of prices....

Anyone?

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay I walked into verizon yesterday to buy a case and the guy asked me what plan I was using. I am using tethering from my phone at 20 dollars for two gigs. I do not understand why it is 20 for 1 gig on the Xoom. He offered me a free mifi at 35 for 3 gigs. Why can't there be just one set of prices....

Anyone?
That's a really good question... I called Verizon yesterday to confirm that the 3G plan I signed up the day before was month-to-month and not a contract, and while I was on the phone asked about my existing unlimited data plan on my Droid. If I choose "change plan" on my Verizon Wireless page, it offers family plan options that don't make sense (ex: adding my Xoom to my calling plan???), so I wanted to know if there was a family plan for data where I could include the new Xoom as part of my unlimited data plan from the Droid.

The agent immediately wanted to sell me on the tethering plan, saying I could get 2GB of data for the $20 and thereby double my quota for the same amount, so I asked why couldn't I just have 2GB direct on the Xoom without the tethering, as my Droid doesn't tether well and when I get a call on the Droid I'd lose data. On top of that, I said, it'd be the same data over the same 3G network, just bypassing the intermediary phone, so how can it be twice as expensive for 1GB direct versus 2GB tethered for the same amount? She of course had no answer.

rmiddle

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have 1 on the 1Gig plan and 2 without. I do like the fact that the data can be used as a hotspot with no up charge. Regarding the cost the Xooms pricing seem to be closer to the 4G cost structure even though right now it is 3G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae