Xoom or Galaxy 10.1

Chrism1548

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, was wondering should i wait to see what if samsung will bring the galaxy 10.1 to us or are they so similar that i should get the xoom now. i will be a first time tab user and i dont like/want a ipad 2. also does anyone know if the samsung will add usb and hdmi to its us based tab or not.

thanks

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Reading some of today's article, Samsung doesn't know exactly what the device will be like. From reports, they are scrambling to overhaul the device in lieu of the iPad 2. I would say leave Samsung alone if they put any of their proprietary stuff on it or you will NEVER see updates in a timely manner.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
HTC>Motorola>Samsung is the general heirarchy. I'd say wait for the Xoom to get cheaper.

Agreed. And wait for full functionality and more apps for the platform. I wouldn't rule out the LG tab either. So see what they have to offer too because it's not just a 2 man race (in Android tabs) between the Xoom and Galaxy.

stray

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Reading some of today's article, Samsung doesn't know exactly what the device will be like. From reports, they are scrambling to overhaul the device in lieu of the iPad 2. I would say leave Samsung alone if they put any of their proprietary stuff on it or you will NEVER see updates in a timely manner.

Or a wi-fi only Tab 10 anytime before 2013... I don't believe a wi-fi only version has even been mentioned so far.

snow686

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
galaxy does not have google's label :( xoom does, samsung tinkers too much with their os. It falls outside the google's tos for the android os.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
galaxy does not have google's label :( xoom does, samsung tinkers too much with their os. It falls outside the google's tos for the android os.

Actually tinkering falls exactly in line with Google's "openess". Can't claim to be open and then don't like when some take advantage of it. There's always a good and bad side to things.

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually the Samsung tab is supposed to be a "Google experience "tab also. I don't have it available but there was a write up on CNET about it. I still wouldn't mess with it. No SD card is a big mistake ...
That and the news talked about higher up in the thread. I think Samsung has dug themselves a hole with the statement they made.

" Apple's recently-announced iPad 2 will provide some strong competition to the current crop of Honeycomb tablets, and it looks like manufacturers are already taking note of the threat posed by Apple's latest tablet.

Speaking to a Korean news agency, Samsung executive Lee Don-joo acknowledged that the iPad 2's low price point and thinner chassis were the biggest obstacles facing the company as it prepares to launch its 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab. In future products Lee says Samsung "will have to improve the parts that are inadequate," likely referring to the 10.1-inch Tab's additional heft compared to the new iPad.

Most interestingly though, Lee adds that Sammy may be reconsidering the launch price for its new tablet, saying "the 10-inch (tablet) was to be priced higher than the 7-inch (tablet) but we will have to think that over." The 7-inch Galaxy Tab currently retails at around $500, the same as the cheapest iPad 2. A 10.1-inch Honeycomb-powered Galaxy Tab at this price point would be a tantalizing prospect, if Samsung is willing to be as competitive with its pricing as Lee's comments would suggest. [Yonhap News Agency]

DROID!

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
considering the recent statement from Samsung, I wouldn't surprised if they pushed Galaxy 10.1 release date by a few months. I would get Xoom, they both have very similar specs. But again, because of that Statement, we no longer know what will happen to Galaxy 10.1.

If you need a tablet now, go with Xoom. If you really don't care about a tablet, I would wait.

daiden

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
considering the recent statement from Samsung, I wouldn't surprised if they pushed Galaxy 10.1 release date by a few months. I would get Xoom, they both have very similar specs. But again, because of that Statement, we no longer know what will happen to Galaxy 10.1.

If you need a tablet now, go with Xoom. If you really don't care about a tablet, I would wait.

This is actually part of the problem that will exist with tablets (as it currently does with phones) -- you can't differentiate them very much. A lot of it relies on the software, which is why so many manufacturers end up "skinning" Android to give a unique user experience.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
why not wait for the Toshiba tablet? full size SD card usb port for external stuff drivers usb sticks etc. removable battery better speakers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Chrism1548

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
ok...... so i saw the 12 min video for the tab 10.1. looks really great. so aside the no usb, no sd card slot and no 4g, and looks like wifi versions of both will be avilable soon, which one would you buy. looks like the screen on the galaxy is better that the xoom but heard samsung updates are terrible. dont get me wrong, from what i have seen with the xoom i am loving it but now i am ready to become be a first time tab owner and first time android owner and want the best experience possible.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering swapping out for the 10.1 tab when its released. I like the non finger print magnet back and hopefully the screen tech is a bit better too. I don't mind the sd card or 4g thing at all or the hdmi as I've had that on my last 2 phones and never even bothered to buy a cable.

Thr main reason I'm considering exchanging my xoom for a tab though is the thickness/weight. I had an ipad 1 and didn't care for it. I hate ios. Itriedan ipad 2 yesterday and while I eould love to have netflix and more apps right now I can wait because I know they're coming. The one thing that's burning a hole in mysoul though is the damn weight/thinness of it. I feel like the gtab may be just light and thin enough to make me forget about the ipad 2. I do love my xoom but I can't lie it feels like a brick after holding an ipad 2.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Buy the Xoom. The hardware differences between the Samsung will not be enough to make your experience any better, and with the Xoom you will be the Nexus 1 of tablets. Everyone seems to forget this is Google's dev teams tablet. Also being a Fascinate owner, Samsung is not very quick with updating their software and seem more interested in upgrading hardware.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
nothing on Toshiba release date hopefully at ctia well get more info.

my question is xoom going to be only 4G tablet? I haven't heard any thing yet. ill buy WiFi before I buy just 3G tablet 3G is yesterday technology.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Buy the Xoom. The hardware differences between the Samsung will not be enough to make your experience any better, and with the Xoom you will be the Nexus 1 of tablets. Everyone seems to forget this is Google's dev teams tablet. Also being a Fascinate owner, Samsung is not very quick with updating their software and seem more interested in upgrading hardware.

I think that was while the Xoom was under development, but I've read recently that Motorola will be pushing out updates soon that will add Motoblur elements to Honeycomb. Once that happens, it will no longer be "stock" Android and you'd have to wait for Motorola to release it. Though, they have a decent track record for updates.

inrelief

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I think that was while the Xoom was under development, but I've read recently that Motorola will be pushing out updates soon that will add Motoblur elements to Honeycomb. Once that happens, it will no longer be "stock" Android and you'd have to wait for Motorola to release it. Though, they have a decent track record for updates.

Unless you can provide a link to back that up I'm going to chalk that up as 'not going to happen'

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless you can provide a link to back that up I'm going to chalk that up as 'not going to happen'

Here it is:

Google: Motorola Xoom is lead Honeycomb product - Pocket-lint

"We asked if what we were looking at was pure Android 3.0 and the answer was an absolute ?yes?. However, Motorola outlined that they would be adding additional features to the Xoom and that they could add these via updates over the air. An example given was a connected music player, with Motorola saying that this would come later in the year, along with more familiar Motoblur-type features."