Xoom Portfolio Case Mod II: Charging Port

skelzer

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
So I just read this post in the "Xoom 2 - what you change or add?" thread.....

I wanna see the charging port moved so it could be charged while its being used in the portfolio case.

And I figured, what the hell... might as well mod the case a second time around to carve a hole for the charging cable (first mod was to remove the two nubs scratching the xoom).

Only one tool required:
- One metal pen. You'll have to try many on for size and sharpness. Take them apart and slide the barrel of each pen over the xoom charging plug. It should be a tight fit.

Mark a center on the inside of the case, then use the pen casing to cut the hole from the inside (against a cutting board). You might have to flip the case to finish the job... just go slow, you don't want to split the case material.

Some other suggestions, bullet/pinch cigar cutters, dremel (might be too messy), etc.

Attached are some picts... btw, end result works perfectly.
Thx to Live2ride883 for the idea :cool:

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the idea, I'll be doing the same. It's funny, I didn't like this case at first but I've really grown to appreciate it. It's durable as f*ck! I love it. By cutting that power hole, I'd rarely take it out of its case. Thanks again!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Mine didn't look as nice. I was a bit off so I had to make it bigger. Still works great. Just wish mine was dead center like yours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I dont have this case. But I was reading some of the feedback on it the other day, and thought... Why dont they just drill an extra hole themselves....

OP, thanks for sharing.

estevek

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Modded Xoom Case (for charger)

Well, I returned my Xoom today and I am selling my modded case. *sigh* re: Xoom. If anyone is interested, contact me. $30. I used a punch to make the charging cable hole and it worked perfectly.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You improved the product. Just take the product back, with it in its packaging and get a refund. The next person will be thankful to have received yours, it has all the proper mods already done!

Kuzdroid

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey good work, but going back to that first part, how did you remove those pesky nubs that scratched the Xoom? I just got the case today, and i just realized it scratched it.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I still can't believe that Motorola and the portfolio-case manufacturer let the case be released this way. Surely they most have noticed that those nubs (best description yet!) leave chalky marks on the edge... it's a head-scratcher.

BasPilot

TheSickAndTwisted
Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How'd you actually get them off though? Just carve them off?

Yes that is exactly what you do with it. If the knife is sharp enough it will leave almost no evidence of their original existance.

And for the second mod... DUDE YOU RULE!!! Thanks a ton for that idea! I was trying to debate whether I wanted to sharpen the heck outta my knife and make a little bit of an oval incision. I was amazed with myself and got it right dead on, but the pen worked as well.

PS- the pen used is a Zebra 301. The one used in the OP's pictures is a Pencil, M-301, and I think he used it because you can removed the clicker completely. With a pen, you just gotta push and twist a bit more than if you had used the pencil

AWESOME IDEA!!!!!

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine didn't look as nice. I was a bit off so I had to make it bigger. Still works great. Just wish mine was dead center like yours.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I just did mine today and fuc*ed it up a bit, but it now charges with the case off. I wish mine wad dead center too. :':)-\:(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463