IMAP Emails Don't Delete To Trash Folder?

Droid-Steve

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having this issue? Using the stock email program I've set up my business email accounts using IMAP. When I delete an email it does not get moved to the trash folder. It deletes the email from the inbox on the Xoom, but the email actually still remains on the server. My host is 1and1.com, but they shouldn't be the issue because it all works fine on my DroidX.

Thanks, Steve

nimhsugar

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. If you go to the Trash folder, the emails gradually disappear, but they still do not delete from the server.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I was reading somewhere (can't remember the link) that this is a weakness of the stock Google email client that's been resolved in most manufacturer email alternatives. Don't think there's a fix until Google recognizes it and does something.

That said, ironically, my Yahoo! account is handled correctly, and although I can't see the settings I do believe it's IMAP. So maybe it's just some IMAP servers that aren't well-supported.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
That said, ironically, my Yahoo! account is handled correctly, and although I can't see the settings I do believe it's IMAP. So maybe it's just some IMAP servers that aren't well-supported.
I have Yahoo mail setup in the Mail app on the Xoom and can easily move messages to folders, delete them, etc. However, if I check my Yahoo email via the browser even AFTER the mail client has synced multiple times, the messages are still in the Inbox - nothing ever seems to get deleted or moved. So basically I use the mail app for reading, but have to go to the web to manage my mail. It's very inconvenient...

Droid-Steve

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So basically I use the mail app for reading, but have to go to the web to manage my mail. It's very inconvenient...

Exactly my situation as well. I just hope Google gets this fixed up or a Honeycomb specific third party email app comes soon. Mobile email was one of the main reasons I got the Xoom, and with the current bugs it doesn't do the job. Don't get me wrong, so far this is about my only major complaint with the Xoom, otherwise I'm really LOVING it!

georgenmd

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Same problem. I switched to K9 email client which fixes the imap delete problem and works fine on the zoom.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

garbanian

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I had that with my iPad, but not on this device.
I used my hotmail account through the stock inbox provided.

I haven't changed any settings, but I can look a bit later.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I just read the Market description for K9: now works with Honeycomb, but not yet optimized for Honeycomb. Leads me to believe they are planning on it, so I will definitely check this app out!

Droid-Steve

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I just read the Market description for K9: now works with Honeycomb, but not yet optimized for Honeycomb. Leads me to believe they are planning on it, so I will definitely check this app out!

Yeah, I installed K9 last night myself. It worked perfect, none of the issues with deletion that I'm having with the stock email client. It just lays out horrible on the Xoom. Hopefully they get a tablet optimized version out soon :)

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I have Yahoo mail setup in the Mail app on the Xoom and can easily move messages to folders, delete them, etc. However, if I check my Yahoo email via the browser even AFTER the mail client has synced multiple times, the messages are still in the Inbox - nothing ever seems to get deleted or moved. So basically I use the mail app for reading, but have to go to the web to manage my mail. It's very inconvenient...

Huh. This works for me, at least deleting on the Xoom deletes them from the account. If I keep the browser open and refresh after deleting messages on the Xoom, they disappear from the account. Haven't tried moving to folders and such...

Droid-Steve

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
FYI: I had reported this bug to the Android team and just received this reply:

Updates: Status: FutureRelease Labels: Component-Applications Subcomponent-Email

Comment #2 on issue 15309 by stad...@android.com: IMAP Email Issue 15309 - android - IMAP Email - Project Hosting on Google Code

Thanks for your report and sorry for this problem.

Good news, it has already been fixed and the fix should be in the next OTA update for the Xoom.

To anyone else experiencing this, the bug occurs when you visit the "incoming server settings" screen - either during manual setup,or sometime after setting up an automatic (pre-configured) account. If you set up a preconfigured account and do not visit "incoming server settings", you will not experience this bug.