I got Google Voice working.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Cross-posting this from my original thread on XDA.

I've been bothered by Google Voice not working since I got my Xoom on launch day, but have been using the web portal... Until now.

I loaded up my Droid, backed up Google Voice+settings with Titanium Backup, restored it on my Xoom and it came up without doing the setup, since it already had my account settings installed. It force closed the first time but I noticed an error in the notification area... Error was asking for permission to use that email address as my Google Voice account, I accepted, re-launched Google Voice and success, full app, working as it would on the phone. Gives notifications and everything.

Enjoy!

GoogleVoice1.png

GoogleVoice2.png

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Kind of useless though unless you can make a call. I guess it might be nice to text, but that works well through the web portal.

I'm going to hold off for the honeycomb optimized version that they're supposedly working on.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Kind of useless though unless you can make a call. I guess it might be nice to text, but that works well through the web portal.

I'm going to hold off for the honeycomb optimized version that they're supposedly working on.

Well, I can make calls via Sipdroid, but I also have a dumbphone(which I use Google Voice to ring it). Texting is the biggest thing, even using email notifications just wasn't good enough for me, hence trying to figure this out.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Still haven't gotten confirmation on xda or droidforums that anyone else has been able to get this to work besides me :-\ If anyone does, please say something!

Flavy

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming this requires root access on the Xoom? I have my Droid Incredible rooted, but at the moment I have no plans to root my Xoom.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, requires root and BusyBox to be installed, as well as Titanium Backup. No real reason not to root the Xoom since Moto has said you'll get the 4G upgrade anyways...

HalfMoon

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, You've gotten Titanium working on the xoom? Mine (Pro) only sees 5 installed apps, which are all just system info such as Accounts, Widgets, Bluetooth, locale, and Wifi access points. It doesn't see any of my installed apps.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, You've gotten Titanium working on the xoom? Mine (Pro) only sees 5 installed apps, which are all just system info such as Accounts, Widgets, Bluetooth, locale, and Wifi access points. It doesn't see any of my installed apps.

And BusyBox installed properly? TB sees everything for me.

HalfMoon

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
yes to both.

'which busybox' in the terminal reports it's in /system/xbin and verstion is 1.18.x

However, the "busybox installer" from the market fails to see busybox on my unit.

tutomate

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here. I backed up GV with TB on my rooted captivate running CM7. Uploaded the .tar via drop box. Opened TB on my rooted Xoom SU permissions were not granted, downloaded a new version of busy box through the TB options, then asked for root privilages gain and were granted. But TB only shows a couple of apps. So I moved the .tar to sdcard/TB and now TB sees it but won't let me restore it.

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Same problem here. I backed up GV with TB on my rooted captivate running CM7. Uploaded the .tar via drop box. Opened TB on my rooted Xoom SU permissions were not granted, downloaded a new version of busy box through the TB options, then asked for root privilages gain and were granted. But TB only shows a couple of apps. So I moved the .tar to sdcard/TB and now TB sees it but won't let me restore it.

Free or paid TB? I'm using the latest free. I installed BusyBox on my Xoom via the Market app, just tried 'which busybox' shows it in /system/bin/ and when I run busybox it tells me it's version 1.17.1. Same on my Droid as well.

Also, you're bringing across all 3 files that were created on your phone, correct?

Last edited:

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Kind of useless though unless you can make a call.
No, no, no! GV is far more useful than for voice calls- which I hardly ever use it for. It's for getting SMS, keeping up with my call logs and getting my voicemail w/o my phone. It gets extensive use when I'm in Europe (where my CDMA phone doesn't work) as it works great with WiFi connections. I hope they get GV fixed before I have to back there again, as combined with Skype for making calls, and GV forwarding (via Localphone) to a GSM phone SIM (that I buy when there) for receiving I can stay connected.

I (and quite a few people who've been on the GV dev site to report how we need this, I'd assume) couldn't care less about voice calls on/with GV.

tutomate

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Free or paid TB? I'm using the latest free. I installed BusyBox on my Xoom via the Market app, just tried 'which busybox' shows it in /system/bin/ and when I run busybox it tells me it's version 1.17.1.

Also, you're bringing across all 3 files that were created on your phone, correct?

No actually just uploaded the main app ill upload the rest.

tutomate

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I deleted and uninstalled TB then I downloaded it again and this time did not install Busy box from it but rather down loaded and installed BB from the market but it would not install BB no matter what combo I tried.

Last edited:

Elysian893#AC

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I deleted and uninstalled TB then I downloaded it again and this time did not install Busy box from it but rather down loaded and installed BB from the market but it would not install BB no matter what combo I tried.

That's baffling, mine installed busybox with no issue...

tutomate

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I installed the backup from TB but it does not seem to have loaded the data aswell because when it is finished installing it just takes me to the first set up menu and when I press next it forcloses. Just as if I had only installed the apk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000