Honeycomb Data Usage??

pharoh

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So I bought the Xoom on launch day and activated it with the $20 1GB/month plan. A week later I get the warning email from Verizon that I have reached over 90% of my monthly limit. Prior to this I had a Galaxy Tab for 2 weeks my wife bought me as a Christmas gift. I returned it after 2 weeks in anticipation of the Xoom (glad I did). In those 2 weeks I *KNOW* I used the Galaxy tab's 3G service more as I used it as a GPS, downloaded tons of apps, etc. (was CLOSE to m1 1GB limit - ~800MB in 2 weeks).

My Xoom I used mainly in the evenings at home on WIFI so you can imagine my surprise when I got the warning email.

Today I downloaded TrafficStats on the Xoom and I noticed as its been running for a little over 6 hrs that "Android System" under which includes:

-System UI
-Settings Storage
-PGM System
-Settings
-Google Backup Transport

has UPLOADED 76MB of data, definitely much more than my total download (29MB). Its starting to make sense that 7 days of this + my normal usage would bring me close to my 1GB limit rather quickly. WTH is the system uploading, just sitting on my desk all day? Is there any way to stop it without killing my GMAIL push?

You guys might wanna check this out if you find you are quickly using up data...

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Have seen some similar posts. For now I just turn off my data when at the office and home. I have the 5g plan and have used only 20 megs since I activated on Friday.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Android default settings have it syncing many things up to Google, including changes to contacts, calendars, Gmail, app installation, settings, etc. I definitely don't add new apps if I'm not on WiFi, but not a lot of people think about this. Verizon really should be advising users when they purchase a data plan how to better manage sync settings, as users will think this is just what the OS does and would never think it's up to them to STOP it from doing what it does by default.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Android default settings have it syncing many things up to Google, including changes to contacts, calendars, Gmail, app installation, settings, etc. I definitely don't add new apps if I'm not on WiFi, but not a lot of people think about this. Verizon really should be advising users when they purchase a data plan how to better manage sync settings, as users will think this is just what the OS does and would never think it's up to them to STOP it from doing what it does by default.

Why would Verizon go and do that.:eek: The buyer needs to educate themselves or literally pay the price.

Just my 2?.

pharoh

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Why would Verizon go and do that.:eek: The buyer needs to educate themselves or literally pay the price.

Just my 2?.

Thing is, I AM educated on this. I have an HTC Incredible, had a Samsung Galaxy tab and now the Xoom. I can tell you that neither of my previous devices steady UPLOAD 100MB of data each day while NOT having recently changed any contacts, sent ANY emails or downloaded ANY app. There is something inherently different in either Honeycomb or just the Xoom that is makng it upload large amounts of data daily.

I would like to know exactly what is being uploaded and why... because as it sits, it is making the difference between me requiring either a 1gb or a 5gb monthly plan which is a large difference cost wise.

ZBoater

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if Google did something, but my Xoom did not go nuts uploading today. Its a good thing too since I used 2 of the 3 gb allowance in only six days! Weird!

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
For some reason this morning my Xoom either uploaded, downloaded, or both, around 100mb of data. During the whole morning it was in sleep mode. It had one chunk alone with 77mb.

None of my apps have auto update turned on. I was keeping a close eye on this and then all of a sudden my My Verizon widget stopped working.

So now I guess I have to have my data turned off until I need it.

pharoh

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Same here, it happened yesterday morning for me (coincidentally the first day I started monitoring). It did not upload any more data during the evening. I will keep an eye out this morning and report back.

ZBoater

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded Trafficstats and Data Counter widget to monitor this usage. Last night again it was super quiet. A few KB. This is very odd.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It may be a case where the first few days after activation it tries to get some info/data of some kind. I shut mine down after activating it and I'm going to put it on the home wifi and watch its usage after it comes back to life tonight.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I enabled 3G on March 4, but I've been on WiFi almost exclusively at the home and office, so after 4 days the VZW site is reporting I've used 2.05MB of my 1GB quota. It's really only on 3G while I'm traveling, so I guess I've been lucky not to see any large usage spikes.

I've seen the comments that you could just go into Airplane Mode, but is there a way to leave WiFi enabled and only disable the 3G connection? I haven't found anything in Settings to indicate this can be done...