Just picked up the Xoom today..very different from the tab

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
just picked up a xoom today from the verizon store, alot different then I expected.
I have an ipad and the samsung tab and the droid X, so I am familiar. The tab is a big android phone, the xoom, totally different, no one will be able to say its just a big droid phone.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Was not even tempted by the galaxy but knew I wanted the xoom. Would be interested to hear your comparison between the two.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
funny thing that happened when I was checking out the xoom at verizon, they had a tab right next to it.. I fired up angry birds on it, did about 3 pulls and it froze up on me...told the sales person, this is why I am here.

over all
the color is deeper and more vivid on the tab, the xoom seems a little washed out looking, the tab is also brighter (yes I have brightness to full)

the tab is a big phone, but to many lockups, app's crashing, very laggy, browser is horrible

the xoom cannot have its home screens configured like you would the tab (or your phone), but its fast, so far no issues, small learning curve on finding out how it works and to do things on it

Was not even tempted by the galaxy but knew I wanted the xoom. Would be interested to hear your comparison between the two.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
just found out the xoom also does not play windows media player files, the tab did and I am sure my X does also...bummer

ZBoater

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I was tempted by the Tab's form factor. I mean, big is nice, but when I handled the Tab at the Verizon store I could see myself getting used to carrying that thing around moreso than my Xoom (or iPad)

Motorola is said to be planning a 7" Xoom. I think I would love that.

crewcabrob

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

First post here.

My son and I just got Xooms yesterday. We also have an iPad and a Galaxy tab at our house.

I aggree, the tab is way different than the xoom. Still, we are having trouble getting some things to work on the xoom that worked on the galaxy tab without issue.

Still love the size and the capability of the xoom. Just need to get a few things ironed out with it.

Rob

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

First post here.

My son and I just got Xooms yesterday. We also have an iPad and a Galaxy tab at our house.

I aggree, the tab is way different than the xoom. Still, we are having trouble getting some things to work on the xoom that worked on the galaxy tab without issue.

Still love the size and the capability of the xoom. Just need to get a few things ironed out with it.

Rob

As much as I love my Xoom, this just shows that Motorola rushed the device out before more apps could support Honeycomb. However, Motorola probably knew that the iPad 2 was looming on the horizon and they wanted to release their device, have people buy it, and patch it up later through OTA updates.

Yes, the Xoom still has app problems and general glitches that annoy everyone but going back to it, when I got my first OG Droid, it had glitches too. Every new device has problems, some more than others yes, but from a marketing standpoint Motorola did a smart thing. Most people who bought the Xoom arn't going to go out now and buy the iPad 2 (mainly due to the fact that they just dropped $600-800) so they already made their money.

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I hate the ipad, and now I hate the xoom's app market because its is very similar to apple's app store. I hate that format and I cant believe they did it to the xoom!

EpicRavensFan

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I am a former tab owner.and while I love my Xoom, a few things really stand out that the tab did really well that I'm missing with the Xoom. Number one is the ability to drag just about any movie file and have it play right away. I have tons of dvd rips on my PC that I could just drag and drop onto the tab and watch them, no conversion necessary. Dvd catalyst works great, but it means I have to take an extra step that's not always convenient. Number two was the pocketability (if that's even a word) of the tab. It fit easily into most coat and jeans pockets ( no skinny jeans for me so ymmv). And when I took it places like the auto show and whipped it out to take a pic, it was pretty much just a bigger cell phone. With the Xoom I feel the need to have some kind of tote bag and i'll probably never use it as a point and shoot over my phone camera. And yes the tab did flash, so there are a few web sites I don't frequent as much on the Xoom. I'm in no way complaining about this device and I really think once they get flash and SD cards working, I can keep this for the next couple of years and be happy. I couldn't say that about my tab.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I notice the same thing about the screen - its several magnitudes less VIBRANT than my X and even the Ipad. It's fine until you set it next to something better - Wonder why Moto cut this corner.

funny thing that happened when I was checking out the xoom at verizon, they had a tab right next to it.. I fired up angry birds on it, did about 3 pulls and it froze up on me...told the sales person, this is why I am here.

over all
the color is deeper and more vivid on the tab, the xoom seems a little washed out looking, the tab is also brighter (yes I have brightness to full)

the tab is a big phone, but to many lockups, app's crashing, very laggy, browser is horrible

the xoom cannot have its home screens configured like you would the tab (or your phone), but its fast, so far no issues, small learning curve on finding out how it works and to do things on it

gizzyman

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
all I have heard on here were people talking about how good the screen was and so on...the colors are way under what I was expecting

I have a feelig they did this to make the battery last longer and to make scrolling and such smoother, but thats just a guess

I notice the same thing about the screen - its several magnitudes less VIBRANT than my X and even the Ipad. It's fine until you set it next to something better - Wonder why Moto cut this corner.

Ainvar

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the TAB also and I love how it would fit in my pants pocket or jacket pocket. I also miss having flash.

The XOOM is nice and I dont regret the purchase. I think MOTO could have done better on the screen in my opinion specially with the fingerprint smudges. The device is rock solid and I love it.

Battery is decent and it performs well.

I do miss the pocketabiity of the TAB over the XOOM and I do have the portfolio case for the XOOM, but I feel I need a tote bag or something since I need to carry a usb cable, power cable, and so forth along with the size of it.

I think overall it is a great device and raises the bar in quality and performance.

I have to give MOTO props for the build quality of their Android devices. It is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to their devices along with the open bootloader on the XOOM.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree, the screen on the Xoom almost seems blurry to me at times. Its weird because some things looks crystal clear, while others looks out of focus. I was hoping a software update would fix this.

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the TAB also and I love how it would fit in my pants pocket or jacket pocket. I also miss having flash.

The XOOM is nice and I dont regret the purchase. I think MOTO could have done better on the screen in my opinion specially with the fingerprint smudges. The device is rock solid and I love it.

Battery is decent and it performs well.

I do miss the pocketabiity of the TAB over the XOOM and I do have the portfolio case for the XOOM, but I feel I need a tote bag or something since I need to carry a usb cable, power cable, and so forth along with the size of it.

I think overall it is a great device and raises the bar in quality and performance.

I have to give MOTO props for the build quality of their Android devices. It is one of the few things that keeps me coming back to their devices along with the open bootloader on the XOOM.

Why the USB cable?

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well I am a former tab owner.and while I love my Xoom, a few things really stand out that the tab did really well that I'm missing with the Xoom. Number one is the ability to drag just about any movie file and have it play right away. I have tons of dvd rips on my PC that I could just drag and drop onto the tab and watch them, no conversion necessary. Dvd catalyst works great, but it means I have to take an extra step that's not always convenient. Number two was the pocketability (if that's even a word) of the tab. It fit easily into most coat and jeans pockets ( no skinny jeans for me so ymmv). And when I took it places like the auto show and whipped it out to take a pic, it was pretty much just a bigger cell phone. With the Xoom I feel the need to have some kind of tote bag and i'll probably never use it as a point and shoot over my phone camera. And yes the tab did flash, so there are a few web sites I don't frequent as much on the Xoom. I'm in no way complaining about this device and I really think once they get flash and SD cards working, I can keep this for the next couple of years and be happy. I couldn't say that about my tab.

i would have to agree with you ,i miss being able to drag movie files over without having to convert them ..i really wish there was a way to play them without converting 1st.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34