Hardcore Android Guy Returns Xoom

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I was speaking from an investor POV.....damn....thats it. I don't care about it beyond that....sorry little dog.

icedhot

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
you can always tell when someone does not own their own business.

I read on here all the time people are returning xoom's because they are to expensive, if its to expensive do not buy it. If you go to purchase something with the mindset you are gonna return it, that's totally wrong.

Someone has to pay to check the device over, repackage itand then resell it, if they can even do that. I told the verizon guy when I got mine, to ensure it was not something someone brought back, he told me that if I walk out of the store, come back 5 min later, he could not resell it.

someone has to pay for the games some of you play.

I totally agreed. I hear lots of ppl here posting & asking what return policy are for particular stores, its ridiculas. If you can't afford, don't buy it. For those morons, where do you think the tablets goes to when u return it? Because of u fools, the cost of a $800 tablet will go up.

g.711

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it VZ charges $70.00 restock fee so they get theirs. And someone down the line will get a brand new discounted Xoom. Vz has to hire more employees so its a Win Win Win.

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This whole -- I'm a real Andriod Supporter but I had to return my XOOM posts are popping up all over the place. Check out MacRumor's -- several just like this start out by saying how much of an Andriod "FREAK" the buyer was .... and all end in a return. I'm not saying this is the case for the OP but I see many people just buying the xoom knowing in advance they are going to return.

Bottom line is that if you have to justify 800 bucks for a "TOY", "Gadget" etc...then you are most likely going to need to return it. The xoom as it sits today probably does not justify 800 - at a bit over 500 I think it's quite a bit easier to justify.

A title of "Love Andriod - But Can't swing a 800 price tag" would be more fitting.

100% Agreed!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If the ipad had flash I'd buy that. I'm waiting to see how things pan out with the xoom or even new tablets coming. But the general consensus is that the xoom launch was a fail

?? What? Lol. Keep telling yourself that.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

bc ct

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
People aren't returning these simply because they're expensive. They're returning them because they're expensive in comparison to the Xoom's utility in its current form and with its current software. I don't care about how many reviews you read - you won't know if its right for you until you get some serious hands on time, more than simply standing in a Best Buy for five minutes. I may be wrong, but I believe that most people buying the device intended to keep it if the expense/utility ratio was in balance.

I bought my Xoom on the Saturday after launch after having read numerous reviews, threads, comments, etc. While I like the Xoom, it's undeniable that in its current form it has a number of limitations - video playback issues, force closures on a number of apps, etc. I didn't buy the Xoom on Verizon's contract. Like the Tab, I was hoping to activate and deactivate data as needed (I can use my rooted Evo to tether most of the time). I found out shortly after I bought the device that Verizon intended to collect an activation fee each time that I re-activate data. Moreover, because I don't have a contract, the eventual upgrade to 4g will likely costs additional dollars (in addition to 6 days at Motorola). Consequently, the $800 purchase price just became 850 to 875 plus, along with potential, multiple data activation charges.

I'm thinking of returning the Xoom, not because its too expensive, but because other, more competitive options are or shortly will be available. I can afford the device - I'm a senior executive in the financial services industry. At the same time, spending my dollars on a purchase that doesn't meet my current needs is wasteful.

Lastly, I don't feel sorry for Motorola in the least if I return the device. They knew they were releasing a product that wasn't fully polished. Almost every review I've read, both positive and negative, states that the Xoom feels rushed. I expect that this was done to stay in front of the iPad 2 announcement. Excessive returns of the Xoom come with the territory and are to be expected. Motorola is simply hoping we look beyond the current issues and bank on the long term potential (which, imo, is significant - I'm just not sure I can or need to wait that long).

Reactions: qnet

cdejesus1119

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I love my xoom, the hardware is built solid. The apps are lagging, but so did the ipads.. just give it a little time. Also, this is a google experience tablet... not too sure I want to see how touchwiz fits on a tablet.. or other personalizations.

southflguy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
you can always tell when someone does not own their own business.

I read on here all the time people are returning xoom's because they are to expensive, if its to expensive do not buy it. If you go to purchase something with the mindset you are gonna return it, that's totally wrong.

Someone has to pay to check the device over, repackage itand then resell it, if they can even do that. I told the verizon guy when I got mine, to ensure it was not something someone brought back, he told me that if I walk out of the store, come back 5 min later, he could not resell it.

someone has to pay for the games some of you play.

First of all owning your own business has nothing to do with whether or not you have business saavy or understand business practices. Secondly I don't think anyone goes into this thinking they are automatically going to return it. It is their right as a customer to return it if it does not meet their needs. And while I think it's sort of ridiculous to compare this to the housing crisis, let me expand on that. Just like people were sold on buying houses they couldn't afford (and the greed of sellers and banks played a HUGE part in this as well) Motorola is selling this tablet on TV like its the fastest most stable thing out there. Stable? Not completely. Am I returning mine? No. But please don't label those people that are as "playing games" because after they use it for a while the investment may be too much when compared to the benefits.

Reactions: DrWu

pearlmikejam

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I am in the camp of returning the Xoom as well. It was not an affordability thing for me. I will preface this by saying I may have gotten a lemon, but the device was just too buggy for me, especially for $800.

My device had the following issues:

- Consistent dropping of Wifi. This occurred in places where no other device in the house would lose a connection.
- Very laggy performance. For a device that had a dual core processor, I was surprised by the lag it had. The performance was comparable to my OG Droid
- Lots of FCs. Two of the primary culprits of this were the browser and market.
- Poor camera quality. I have seen several pictures people have posted, and my unit could not come close to that. I was actually able to produce comparable picture quality on the front camera as the back.

It was hard to discern if these issues were hardware or software related, but the device was nowhere as smooth as Apple or other Android devices at launch.

On the flip side, I think Google and Moto have gotten the attention Apple. While the iPad2 is out around the same as last year, I think it was rushed to address the current competition. This should only foster price and spec wars, and push each company to create higher quality products.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Am I missing something here? I love my xoom, the hardware is built solid. The apps are lagging, but so did the ipads.. just give it a little time. Also, this is a google experience tablet... not too sure I want to see how touchwiz fits on a tablet.. or other personalizations.
To be fair I didn't buy an iPad for the reasons you stated. I only bought a Xoom because I was intersted in a non iPad tablet, this was the best out. I think $800 was too much to charge for the Xoom with what it had on launch day. I could afford the $800 so I got one and am happy. However, until they get SD, Flash and LTE working that $800 tag is not a good price for most people.

Last edited:

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
As some may know - from my previous postings - I returned my Xoom also. I never intended to return it and was very excited about it before it came out. It's not a expense issue for me either. When they release the wi-fi only model I may get that version. I'm hoping everything will be worked out by then and, the sd-card is functioning.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I feel kind if the same. Although I think I'm keeping my Xoom. What is a bit annoying is not so much the flash and 4G missing. Honeycomb is great but its not ready for pimetime just yet. I've had numerous crashes particularly in the browser. Also playing music in the background is fine until you do anything on the browser that is slightly intense such as zooming in and out. Or anything in another app. The music stutters. Occasionally the market acts weird jumping me to the wrong place or requiring me to download apps a few times before they actually install. The screen resolution is nice but the contrast and brightness need work. App switching is great and notifications are excellent. I'm just not totally convinced yet.

Just an FYI, the crashes you had on the browser, or any other internet required program, is because of a possible memory leak in the WiFi driver on the Xoom. https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/46526

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I saw the thread on moto as well. I have been browsing like a madman since last Friday And not one web crash or wifi problem.

Easy enough to get a replacement xoom if one cares to isolate the xoom you have or xooms in general.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I saw the thread on moto as well. I have been browsing like a madman since last Friday And not one web crash or wifi problem.

Easy enough to get a replacement xoom if one cares to isolate the xoom you have or xooms in general.

I've had one lock up since I've had from launch date. BTW, a quick way to reboot the Xoom if it locks, in case no one knows, is to hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time and it will reboot the Xoom. When mine locked up, it was not responsive at all and since you can't yank the battery, holding the volume up and power button is the next best thing.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
You know what, I love mine but I too feel like it has been released a little bit early. This is exactly why I bought mine from Costco. I have 90 days from teh original date of purchase to return it for a full refund. If there is a price drop, or something better comes along I will return mine and purchase under new terms.

If that doesn't happen, I still don't feel bad about the purchase. I know the updates will come. If I had $800 for gadget budget for the year and that's all, I would be waiting as well =)

Got mine at Costco, too. Reallyyy happy about their policy. If the price does drop in 90 days, you don't have to return it. They credit you the difference!

djfujiyama

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Returning mine as well. It's not the cost, it's the fact that even if I DIDN'T get FCs every few hours, even if there WERE apps written for it, and even if it DID ship with 4g/SD support/flash, there's still the problem of input/screen lag.

Sure, it's only a matter of milliseconds, but that kills gaming and makes the entire device feel sluggish. Swiping to the left pane and seeing the device lag for a half second before it reacts drives me crazy. Hitting the home key and having it lag for a second or two before loading is super annoying.

A friend of mine who works at Apple said that UI responsiveness and the absence of lag is one of the biggest priorities for Apple, and that's primarily why they don't allow widgets, custom wallpapers, and apps that suck up CPU cycles unregulated. I LOVE the customization android gives you, but i'm about fed up with lag.

If I wanted lag I would have stuck with WM6.x.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Returning mine as well. It's not the cost, it's the fact that even if I DIDN'T get FCs every few hours, even if there WERE apps written for it, and even if it DID ship with 4g/SD support/flash, there's still the problem of input/screen lag.

Sure, it's only a matter of milliseconds, but that kills gaming and makes the entire device feel sluggish. Swiping to the left pane and seeing the device lag for a half second before it reacts drives me crazy. Hitting the home key and having it lag for a second or two before loading is super annoying.

A friend of mine who works at Apple said that UI responsiveness and the absence of lag is one of the biggest priorities for Apple, and that's primarily why they don't allow widgets, custom wallpapers, and apps that suck up CPU cycles unregulated. I LOVE the customization android gives you, but i'm about fed up with lag.

I wonder if it is a bad unit of yours, I have played with a bunch of these and not experienced this once.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I LOVE the customization android gives you, but i'm about fed up with lag.

I experienced lag but, not that bad. The only lag I noticed was the auto-rotation and, when the device was in portrait mode. It seems to be a lot smoother in landscape. Everything else was very fast & responsive.

My main issue was, the Xoom didn't do the things I like - in particular - as smoothly as my Ipad. I got tired of the force closes, right in middle of doing something. For a device that has 4 times the memory and twice the processing power as my Ipad, I felt like it should run better. Having said that, I still may still end up getting the Xoom again later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira