Top 20 things wrong with the Xoom

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
To sum up the Xoom's failings for anyone new to the Xoom, I've created this simple Top 20 list:

1. NO SD CARD 2. NO FLASH
3. NO SD CARD 4. NO FLASH
5. NO SD CARD 6. NO FLASH
7. NO SD CARD 8. NO FLASH
9. NO SD CARD 10. NO FLASH
11. NO SD CARD 12. NO FLASH
13. NO SD CARD 14. NO FLASH
15. NO SD CARD 16. NO FLASH
17. NO SD CARD 18. NO FLASH
19. NO SD CARD 20. NO FLASH

If I had to come up with 21 I'd add USB charging but I know they can't fix that with software so I'll suffer through. And don't give me some crap about voltage....the iPad has a USB charger - yes one end is their 30 pin icrap, but the other end is standard USB. Also - the Nook uses USB to charge.

Other than those 20(21) things, its perfect and none of those are deal breakers for me. I'm happy to own it and won't be returning it.

anon(20681)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
the iPad has a USB charger - yes one end is their 30 pin icrap, but the other end is standard USB.

The I Pad will also never have flash or an SD card. So you really should get an I Pad. You can at least have the USB charging and you will still be made about your top 20 but at least 21 will be off your list.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
the iPad has a USB charger - yes one end is their 30 pin icrap, but the other end is standard USB.

The I Pad will also never have flash or an SD card. So you really should get an I Pad. You can at least have the USB charging and you will still be made about your top 20 but at least 21 will be off your list.

Sorry, sometimes my sarcasm doesn't come through in my posts.. this thread was more tounge in cheek than anything else. Surfing around the interwebs you see over and over and over posts saying the xoom sucks because it doesn't have flash or sd card support.

I did end the post by pointing out that those things aren't enough to make me unhappy with my purchase.....

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, sometimes my sarcasm doesn't come through in my posts.. this thread was more tounge in cheek than anything else. Surfing around the interwebs you see over and over and over posts saying the xoom sucks because it doesn't have flash or sd card support.

I did end the post by pointing out that those things aren't enough to make me unhappy with my purchase.....

What's worse are the people who crab about no Flash and no SD card then say they are getting an iPad....or even worse iPad 2, both of which will never have either. (I think the iPads are fine devices...I still own an iPad). It's just flawed thinking to be so torqued that the Xoom doesn't have these things and then get an iPad.

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Add that Honeycomb is unstable (crashes and freezes). This was really rushed prematurely to market. Hopefully they get an OTA out soon that fixes the main problems.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My complaints in no specific order.

The charging pin is an epic fail.
Way too heavy.
Way too thick.
The screen seems out of focus, almost blurry at times.
The OS is unstable. Crashes and Freezes.
No Adobe Flash.
No SD card.

With that being said, I cant wait until they polish up 3.0. I ended up taking my Xoom back the other day, for $800 I expected better. Oh well, maybe next time.

lightshedder

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Come on guys...get your sense of humor in gear. Clearly tongue in cheek :) And by the way I have had next to 0 instability issues with Honeycomb in a week of heavy use while traveling. And no app crashes. No freezes. And the screen is sharp as a tack...brilliant really. The charging pin is shall we say, less than optimal :( but I can live with it. Wouldn't it be really nice if when we send in our Zooms for the 4g upgrade they came back with a charger that plugs into the USB? Just dreaming :)

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned the instability because I have seen it in action. The Browser closes with process error messages for no special reason, the UI locks up on occasion. It all points to an immature OS.

I also still wonder why they did not simply port Chrome over to Honeycomb instead of trying to upsize the Android browser? Chrome already runs on Linux so it should be pretty simple and it already supports Flash and is very stable.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
To sum up the Xoom's failings for anyone new to the Xoom, I've created this simple Top 20 list:

1. NO SD CARD 2. NO FLASH
3. NO SD CARD 4. NO FLASH
5. NO SD CARD 6. NO FLASH
7. NO SD CARD 8. NO FLASH
9. NO SD CARD 10. NO FLASH
11. NO SD CARD 12. NO FLASH
13. NO SD CARD 14. NO FLASH
15. NO SD CARD 16. NO FLASH
17. NO SD CARD 18. NO FLASH
19. NO SD CARD 20. NO FLASH

If I had to come up with 21 I'd add USB charging but I know they can't fix that with software so I'll suffer through. And don't give me some crap about voltage....the iPad has a USB charger - yes one end is their 30 pin icrap, but the other end is standard USB. Also - the Nook uses USB to charge.

Other than those 20(21) things, its perfect and none of those are deal breakers for me. I'm happy to own it and won't be returning it.

Try this if you have an iPad. Note what the battery level is at and charge it with the wall adapter that came with it, time how long it charges to full capacity. Now drain the battery down to the same exact percentage it was at before charging with the wall adapter and now plug it into your PC and charge it and see how long it takes...you'll be waiting a long long time.

Even though it has a USB port on the end of the cable and it plugs into the apple power block, the wattage coming out of the apple power block is much much higher than a standard USB charging brick.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Way too heavy.
Way too thick.
No Adobe Flash.
No SD card.

With that being said, I cant wait until they polish up 3.0. I ended up taking my Xoom back the other day, for $800 I expected better. Oh well, maybe next time.

The charging pin is a HUGE plus for me. If you had to rely on charging the battery in the Xoom over USB, you'll be waiting a loooooooong time. Using the charging pin with a higher wattage charger...this thing charges real fast...how is charging fast a con?

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
... I'd add USB charging but I know they can't fix that with software so I'll suffer through. And don't give me some crap about voltage ... the iPad has a USB charger
... and a 5V battery. Ours is 7.4V.

"some crap about voltage", my ass. They could have put in a weight-adding, device-heating DC-DC converter, but they wisely decided otherwise and went with the current solution.

inkmantpa

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Add that Honeycomb is unstable (crashes and freezes). This was really rushed prematurely to market. Hopefully they get an OTA out soon that fixes the main problems.

I have never had a crash or a freeze since I got mine at 9am on day one. If you are getting that many crashes/freezes, exchange yours, it is not normal.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Even though it has a USB port on the end of the cable and it plugs into the apple power block, the wattage coming out of the apple power block is much much higher than a standard USB charging brick.

And my point is that there's no reason Motorola couldn't have done the same thing to make it compatible with all the other micro-usb charging stuff already on the market - give it a trickle charge or even NO charge through a PC port but let me utilize a single outlet with 1 power brick that can charge my phone, my e-reader and my Xoom, and let me keep one 12-volt car charger in my car that I can use for any device so I don't have to carry and switch plugs all the time.

Still again - not a deal breaker for me, just would have been nice.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site

Way too heavy.
Way too thick.
No Adobe Flash.
No SD card.

#1 -- It charges doesn't it?
#2 -- Lift some weights
#3 -- I don't think so
#4 -- Get an eye exam
#5 -- Give it some time MR1 should resolve most issues
#6 -- It will come
#7 -- It will come

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
#1 -- It charges doesn't it?
#2 -- Lift some weights
#3 -- I don't think so
#4 -- Get an eye exam
#5 -- Give it some time MR1 should resolve most issues
#6 -- It will come
#7 -- It will come

#1 Yes it does charge, but the skinny design is prone to breaking off. It's just a matter of time.
#2 Are you kidding me?
#3 Engadget says the same thing, I guess we all have bad eye's.

And this is a thread to post what you dont like about the Xoom, not a thread for the fan boys to come in and defend every post. Some people need to get a life, really. :confused:

FaXuM

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

Way too heavy.
Way too thick.
No Adobe Flash.
No SD card.

Lol. Charging pin give me a break plug into wall or get car adapter.
Too heavy? Someone needs some excercise.
Too thick? Thats a joke right? What do u want paper computer?
Screen out of focus? Maybe you should put your glasses on or clean the smudges off the screen.
Unstable OS? Mine has no issues and all devices have the potential for issues thats why we have patches.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital