Xoom WiFi, Nook Color, or Galaxy Tab WiFi?

seanrinva

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm being serious. Which would you choose?

Lots of stories of Xoom's going back - possibly rushed out the door?

Several have the opinion of the Galaxy Tab that it acts like a large phone.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm being serious. Which would you choose?

Lots of stories of Xoom's going back - possibly rushed out the door?

Several have the opinion of the Galaxy Tab that it acts like a large phone.

Well....I don't have a whole lot of time with the Xoom. But I have spent some. I like it and it'll likely only get better.

IF Galaxy tab gets HC then maybe. I'm not even sure we have confirmation when the WiFi will come.

But it depends how long you are willing to wait and when each launch. My personal opinion would be a Galaxy tab. Even though I like the Xoom I do think that Samsung makes quality stuff also.

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I can say I have played with all 3 at some time or another.

I choose the Xoom and have no regrets getting it. I love the interface of the Xoom. It is more functional than my X.

As for the Galaxy tab goes it is an OK piece but with it running 2.2 (the same is as my X) it did feel just like my phone. And it has a mix of problems some with the fact that programs are not optimized for the screen size (aka same problem Xoom has) then with it still being on 2.2 it has the usual problems of locking up any of our phones have.

As for the nook color it makes a decent tablet. It is a little small but if the size does not bother you it works. The few problems I have seen with it all have to do with the hard ware. With one minor and I am sure they are fixing it software issue. It is still running a pre released os. Now once the sdk was released I would think the guys over at xda are working on getting it to work with nook. This could solve at least some of the issues of the nook being slow.

So out of the three I think the Xoom gives the best performance and experiance of the three. With the nook falling in at a close second, and as nothing more than a big phone the Galay tab comes in last. Now if they port 3.0 to the Galaxy tab then that might make it a better option than the nook.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The only one that exists today is the Color Nook. So, if you were to get one soon that would be the one to get.

I myself am a BIG Xoom lover, so I'm partial to the Xoom 3G/4G.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Xoom. That is mychoice. I also purchased nook. Color same day for wife. She loves it. I rooted it and the functions are great.. if you are on a budget, get the nook.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Nook gathering dust. Picked it up cheap... rooted... memory card 3.0... overclocked it all cool but have not touched it since. If you buy hold out for the 199 or lower sale.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I bought the nook to hold me over. It's great. However, I plan to sell it in 3 or 4 months for a wifi 10" tablet. I got it during the $50 off sale, so that should make selling it at only a small loss easier.

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The only one that exists today is the Color Nook. So, if you were to get one soon that would be the one to get.

Huh, that's odd, I could've sworn the Galaxy Tab has been out for a few months now.

I'd say the decision between the three is what you're going to do with it. If you want to carry it with you places, then the Xoom is out of the running. If you're going to play any games on it, then the Nook Color is out. If you don't have more than $300 to spend, then the Xoom and the Tab are out. I'm of the opinion that the Galaxy Tab is right in the sweet spot of being able to do everything you need while not being so big as to avoid taking it with you.

I know a lot of ipad owners where I work, but I rarely ever see any ipads in the office, I really think that says something.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Huh, that's odd, I could've sworn the Galaxy Tab has been out for a few months now.

The Galaxy Tab wifi?

If you're going to play any games on it, then the Nook Color is out.

I've run Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Tank Hero, Air Attack HD, Pocket God, Humans vs Aliens, and both Minisquadron versions on my Nook. Not to mention gameboid and SNESoid. Not sure about what you mean by no gaming on the nook. Maybe if you're referring to N.O.V.A. or some of the T2 games, but that's all I can think of.

Reactions: p08757

romsrini

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
How did you get Air Attack HD Lite working on your Nook? I've tried installing it on a rooted stock or on Nookie Froyo. I was able to install it, but when I open it I get a popup saying it won't work on my hardware. How did you get around that?

vladk.ru

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I'd say the decision between the three is what you're going to do with it. If you want to carry it with you places, then the Xoom is out of the running. If you're going to play any games on it, then the Nook Color is out. If you don't have more than $300 to spend, then the Xoom and the Tab are out. I'm of the opinion that the Galaxy Tab is right in the sweet spot of being able to do everything you need while not being so big as to avoid taking it with you.

I know a lot of ipad owners where I work, but I rarely ever see any ipads in the office, I really think that says something.

Hmm... My nook runs all the games I own fairly well. The SGX530 gpu is old (by computer standards), but can still hold it's own. Plays Quake 3, SNES, X-Plane, and the rest of my games just fine. Dungeon Defenders is the only one that it has trouble with (seem to be around 15 fps), but that's using the Unreal engine. Can't beat it for $200.

PS: I recommend running CM7.0. Seems to me the only issue right now is the lack of h.264 codec.

preViously

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I myself am a BIG Xoom lover, so I'm partial to the Xoom 3G/4G.

All three are available right now. I would go for the Xoom is price is not an issue... actually even taking price into account. I would wait for the wifi only version though.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Nook is the best buy if you are comfortable hacking it up. Otherwise galaxy tab.
The 10in form factor is just too big for me. I have a viewsonic gtab and it's just gathering dust.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
How did you get Air Attack HD Lite working on your Nook? I've tried installing it on a rooted stock or on Nookie Froyo. I was able to install it, but when I open it I get a popup saying it won't work on my hardware. How did you get around that?

Runs fine for me on the latest CM7.

Zooks64

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a nooted Nook (on it now) that is great. I picked up another one for 200$. I prefer this form factor over the 10" tablets. They are too big for me. And, you can't beat the Nook 's price. Thinking about switching to CM7. Good to hear that you guys are liking it.

preViously

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry... I meant that there are released versions of those devices. You are correct, the wifi only are not available yet. I sure wish they were.

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
XOOM, hands down, if you have the coin. tried all of them and the Samsung is the worst value.
With phonemyPC (or logmein) I have all the power of a full notebook with great resolution. NOOK should be rooted by B and N and they would RULE the cheapo market. But they do not seem to be listening.
The XOOM is the only one I can use in 2014.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463