Xoom going back to the store

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
After spending 5 days with the Xoom I unfortunately don't think the device is for me. I love the browser, the battery life, and the ability to customize just about anything you want. But the big confusing, and big deal breaker for me is the inability to import movies/videos without ripping them from an existing movie. I unfortunately don't have hours and hours to waste ripping movies.

I would also like the ability to Rent, or use Netflix.

The only other thing is I feel the portability of the Xoom is someone limiting. I really can't find an easy/safe way to carry it around from work, to the gym, the plane, and back to home. It's not that it's too heavy, the weight isn't an issue. It just seems a fuzz big to carry around. The Xoom's case is pretty bulky and clumsy. One of the things the Galaxy Tab is, is very portable.

I have other Android devices, and love then all, and I will miss many of the Xoom's better features. For now, I will probably try out an iPad2, just for comparison sake and see what it has to offer.

I know a lot of people complained about the price point of the Xoom, but I don't think that is a big issue. It's right in line with the top of the line iPad2, so I'm not sure what the big deal is. At the end of the day $800 should send anyone into bankruptcy.

I appreciate everyones help on this forum, and wish everyone the best of luck with the Xoom, and any other devices you might have.

Enjoy!!

John

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
One of the main reason I am getting the iPad 2 is because of iTunes and Facetime. If android came out with an iTunes-like store that had support to buy movies/TV shows and a native video chat service, I would get the Xoom. But for now, its iPad 2.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Google Talk a "native video chat service"? Plus, Tango works great on it, as well as on iDevices.

I hate iTunes, and if Android ever tethers their devices to a desktop like that I'll move on to something that doesn't, just like I moved on from Apple products.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
One of the main reason I am getting the iPad 2 is because of iTunes and Facetime. If android came out with an iTunes-like store that had support to buy movies/TV shows and a native video chat service, I would get the Xoom. But for now, its iPad 2.

iTunes I can fully understand. Love it or hate it, the convenience and simplicity has not been beaten yet. But the FaceTime reasoning makes no sense. The Xoom has native video chat in Google Talk. And by comparison, it is a lot more convenient than FaceTime which only works between Apple products that support FaceTime and ESPECIALLY considering FaceTime isn't even free anymore on their Mac's.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
iTunes is one of the major reasons I do not use the Apple lines of devices.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
iTunes is one of the major reasons I do not use the Apple lines of devices.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

What ' someone who does not love itunes:) I for one think its one of the biggest piles of apple lock down ever to be released.

Agree facetime by its nature is a closed environment. I am looking forward to Skype support.

natehoch96

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I understand not wanting to be tied down to an iTunes-like store, but having a store to buy movies and TV shows for your phone with a sync service would be very nice. Plus, using the USB mode would still be possible.

The only reason I like FaceTime is because I know many "apple friends" who have FaceTime. Many of them dont want to download Tango and just want to use FaceTime.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
......... im returning my car. It don't have a ipod hook up. Not for me..... come on with the im returning my xoom. That's awesome get your money back and get something that makes you happy. I use google chat for some "facetime". This thread is just full of junk topics. Tips, tricks, how to, apps all are great topics. The 30 xoom is over priced, no flash, im taking mine back posts really just clog up the forum and push real questions and good information to the bottom...... rant done. Keeping my car cause that's just silly. I have a audio input for my android device. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I understand not wanting to be tied down to an iTunes-like store, but having a store to RENT movies and TV shows for a device that is approved, and only that device with a sync service would be very nice. Plus, using the USB mode would still be possible.

Fixed that for ya :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey