IPAD 2 Standing IN Lines - With your XOOM?

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone going to be standing in line for the IPAD 2 with you XOOM? I'm not interested in camping out for hours but may stop by my local Apple store with my daughter this evening if the Line is not too long. I asked if she wanted to bring her Ipad or use one of my xooms and she picked the XOOM - so it looks like we will have two xooms in the midst of all of the Apple Fan Boys.

Note - The deciding factor (Picking XOOM over Ipad) I think has more to do with the fact that I just put Tangled on the XOOM :D

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So why is your daughter buying an iPad and not a XOOM?

Just curious.

We now have two XOOMs at my house too. One for me to carry with me on the go, the other to stay at home with my family.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Daughter is only 4 and will pretty much be happy with whatever I give her as long as it has the latest Princess Movie on it :)

We have Ipad #1's -- I'm picking up a #2 primarily to use for Facetime when I'm traveling. I am disappointed with the camera's on the Pad #2 but they should be decent enough for facetime.

I wish we had a working Skype available...

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If I thought an iPad would serve my needs, I'd own one already. the iPad 2 is still an iPad. No Adobe flash, everything must be added through the app store. I like the Xoom so far, and look forward to watching streaming sports (MLB, TSN Curling, etc.) on it, as well as keeping up with my favorite web site, all of which require flash. If the iPad did flash, I would have bought one long ago. YMMV.

Cheers.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Nope. If I thought an iPad would serve my needs, I'd own one already. the iPad 2 is still an iPad. No Adobe flash, everything must be added through the app store. I like the Xoom so far, and look forward to watching streaming sports (MLB, TSN Curling, etc.) on it, as well as keeping up with my favorite web site, all of which require flash. If the iPad did flash, I would have bought one long ago. YMMV.

Cheers.

I completly agree with this!

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Much more WANT than need on the tablet front for me. The #1 thing that I have not yet been able to replicate on the xoom is the E-Reading experience...

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Daughter is only 4 and will pretty much be happy with whatever I give her as long as it has the latest Princess Movie on it :)

We have Ipad #1's -- I'm picking up a #2 primarily to use for Facetime when I'm traveling. I am disappointed with the camera's on the Pad #2 but they should be decent enough for facetime.

I wish we had a working Skype available...

Screw facetime. If you have 2 Xoom's why not just use Tango? It works great on the Xoom, I used it to call my sister last night, she was on her DroidX I was on my Xoom. Its totally optimized for tablets. Don't give apple any money!

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Much more WANT than need on the tablet front for me. The #1 thing that I have not yet been able to replicate on the xoom is the E-Reading experience...

The Xoom comes stock with 2 book reading apps. Are you comparing to iBooks on the iPad or another E-reader?

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
LOL - not really interested in screwing Face-Time although I will need some more time to consider that. Have a group of family who have VIPhone 4's -- so face-time is nice/easy to use. I'll try out Tango but again its the problem of other folks using Skype etc.. that are not yet ready for our xoom.

Screw facetime. If you have 2 Xoom's why not just use Tango? It works great on the Xoom, I used it to call my sister last night, she was on her DroidX I was on my Xoom. Its totally optimized for tablets. Don't give apple any money!

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I read on various devices, Iphone4, DroidX, Ipad, Xoom etc... so I need the ability to sync last page read. The only app that does this and works on the Xoom is the Kindle App. IMO not even comparable to how nice the IBOOKS app is but it is workable. Kindle only works with Kindle and Mobi formats so you have to convert your stuff (EPUB in my case) to Mobi and then side-load. It's working and I'm using it between my X and XOOM but the overall presentation of Kindle is not great.

The Xoom comes stock with 2 book reading apps. Are you comparing to iBooks on the iPad or another E-reader?

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I read on various devices, Iphone4, DroidX, Ipad, Xoom etc... so I need the ability to sync last page read. The only app that does this and works on the Xoom is the Kindle App. IMO not even comparable to how nice the IBOOKS app is but it is workable. Kindle only works with Kindle and Mobi formats so you have to convert your stuff (EPUB in my case) to Mobi and then side-load. It's working and I'm using it between my X and XOOM but the overall presentation of Kindle is not great.

The kindle app needs a serious visual overhaul. iBooks and google's book reader are comparable in presentation, but google's needs some feature update loving. not being able to highlight or make notes sucks.

rohdawgeleven

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Tango is cross platform. Install it on your ithings and you can xoom-ithing video chat.

Android : "By the geeks, for the geeks, of the geeks "

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would just copy IBooks. Need to have a brightness button at the top of the APP.

The kindle app needs a serious visual overhaul. iBooks and google's book reader are comparable in presentation, but google's needs some feature update loving. not being able to highlight or make notes sucks.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was just at the local mall and the line at the Apple Store was huge. At least 150 people. It ran down both sides of one entrance. I wonder how many iPad 2s that have in the store? Or are people going home empty handed?

It looks like the online store is sold out, 2-3 weeks before delivery if you order now. I guess Apple will sell the 750,000 they projected for this weekend.

BTW, Cnet ran benchmarks and the new iPad is about 1.2 times faster than the old version, but most of that is supposedly due to the new OS.

One interesting thing in line is I saw someone using their Color Nook. I guess I should have told them they could root it and get out of line, but I kept walking.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The B&N Nook app sync's last page, I use it, love it. I have a nook also. Since getting the Xoom though I only use the nook when I want to sit outside to read - e-ink has lcd beat hands down in bright light.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae