Streaming from XBMC to your Xoom

pdizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you have a media server in the home and are already using XBMC at your entertainment center to stream your movies on demand, then you probably want to have the same capabilities with your Xoom. I don't expect a honeycomb build of XBMC any time soon, but I have found an an acceptable work around in the mean time.

You will need to install XBMC on your file server and enable UPNP. Then install Upnplay from the android market, and rock player lite. You should be able to see the XBMC server from Upnplay and connect to it. Voila! Now you can navigate the XBMC directory structure and stream your movies, just select rock player lite as your default media player when asked. If you want thumbnails you can enable that in the Upnplay settings as well.

Keep in mind, only xvid dvdrip quality encodes will stream, as high rate HD mkv encodes are to choppy even over the xooms n wireless chip.

Hope it helps.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've got an XBMC box down in the rack, I'll have to get this a whirl. I have a pair of 12TB ReadyNAS units but most my stuff is HD ISO and some MKV. I've got a lot of DVD rips, but I'm phasing them out.

This wil just be for fun, no real purpose I can find. I've got a Slingbox for watching stuff on the go, and have access to ask my video sources through there...

mhunter995

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Sweet, I'll have to try this out as I am waiting anxiously for Plex to allow video streams on the XOOM. Is it possible to do this outside of your home network by port forwarding? I don't know much about UPNP

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If the XOOM had good VPN support you could go about it that way.

I just use my Slingbox. It's fed all my sources through my A/V matrix, so my needs on the go are handled...

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
If the XOOM had good VPN support you could go about it that way.

I just use my Slingbox. It's fed all my sources through my A/V matrix, so my needs on the go are handled...

I use a linux box with pptp running. Works great for a VPN server. I currently cant stream my media center files to my Xoom because vplayer does not work on it yet, but it works perfect on my droidX.

By the way Im using Remote Media Center along with Vplayer on my android devices for this. You also need to install potato server on your media server.

The VPN is also great for gaining access to remote my home servers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae