xoom not working when charging

lgdorsey9

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that when I am charging my xoom it won't work--specifically, apps won't open, browser controls don't work, if lock screen up it won't let me draw my unlock pattern (it either won't accept anything or I can start drawing/get one bubble filled/screen freezes and wont' let any more bubbles get filled.

If I unplug the charger then everything works fine; plug it back in and everything freezes again.

Is this "normal" or do I need to take it back?

Sent from my Xoom

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that when I am charging my xoom it won't work--specifically, apps won't open, browser controls don't work, if lock screen up it won't let me draw my unlock pattern (it either won't accept anything or I can start drawing/get one bubble filled/screen freezes and wont' let any more bubbles get filled.

If I unplug the charger then everything works fine; plug it back in and everything freezes again.

Sent from my Xoom
Mine works while charging just fine. Do a soft reset first. If that doesn't do the trick I would tak it back. If the VZW rep knows their stuff they will do a hard reset first to ensure it is not an app causing the problem. To save yourself time, do the hard reset before you go. If it works "out of the bos" like that then you know it was an app. Doing a hard reset loses your settings unless you have back up but getting a replacement does the same thing. Save yourself the grief and do it first and save the gas money.

azari

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Mine works just fine, in fact exactly the same as when not charging... Sounds like something is off with yours.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Xoom
Does the touch screen work at all? do hard controls work? If it is only the touch screen that stops working, then it sounds like the charger isnt grounded properly, yours may be defective. I had the same happen to me with a cheap ebay charger, because it wasn't grounded properly. U need to call moto and they should send you a new charger.

lgdorsey9

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Mine works while charging just fine. Do a soft reset first. If that doesn't do the trick I would tak it back. If the VZW rep knows their stuff they will do a hard reset first to ensure it is not an app causing the problem. To save yourself time, do the hard reset before you go. If it works "out of the bos" like that then you know it was an app. Doing a hard reset loses your settings unless you have back up but getting a replacement does the same thing. Save yourself the grief and do it first and save the gas money.

Thanks for the hard reset tip--it worked. I'm typing this with my Xoom while it's plugged in and recharging.

So does this mean I need to add back my apps one at a time to see which one may have been the offender?

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the hard reset tip--it worked. I'm typing this with my Xoom while it's plugged in and recharging.

So does this mean I need to add back my apps one at a time to see which one may have been the offender?
That would be what I would do. I have found that most problems with the Android devices are caused by software, not hardware. The standard practice is to perform a hard reset on the phone to bring it back to factory standard and see if it works or the problem persists. If it fixes the issue then a program was more than likely causing the issue. If the problem persists, then it is definately a hardware issue.

With the Android software being open source and developed by anyone, the danger does exist for malicious software. WHile this can be the case in many issues, it may also just be a case of software screwing up and it will work fine when re installed. It is always a best practice to put your apps back one at a time with time for evaluation between each to ensure you find the culprit. It may be you do not find the culprit but a good idea just the same.

anon(167668)

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

The first thing I would do is restore all the apps at once and see if the problem occurs again. It may have just been an error in downloading an app or update.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I wish Lookout would find a way for it's program to work on XOOM!

Per thecompany the backup and scan for malicious apps will work just fine. The reason that it isn't available in the android market is because it reallieson SMS messaging for the location feature and since the zoom can't do location that wont work. You can side load the apk from one of the alternative markets without an issue.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Per thecompany the backup and scan for malicious apps will work just fine. The reason that it isn't available in the android market is because it reallieson SMS messaging for the location feature and since the zoom can't do location that wont work. You can side load the apk from one of the alternative markets without an issue.
Anyone have a copy or know where to find it?

xoomjunkie

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this as well. It wasn't until I updated my Xoom to Jellybean when this started happening. I personally am not too worried about it but it is a tad inconvenient. So it's definitely not just your Xoom. I bet if1 out of 3 on here upgraded to Jellybean they'd have this as well. No biggie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma