I am looking for the best or most versitile player for the xoom. Anything optimized for the xoom yet? Or utilizes the tegra 2 processor?
    03-16-2011 11:08 PM
    not sure if optimized for xoom, but if u want best support for multiple formats then use rockplayer.

My dad uses it on his evo and it works well for him, i havent used it personally though because samsung gives so much codec support in touchwiz (probably only one of the few things that they do right with touchwiz).
    03-16-2011 11:12 PM
    As far as I know rockplayer has the most codec support. No it is not optimized for the Xoom yet but I have it and it does work. I am not sure when it comes to HD content. I have tried a couple movies and they both were choppy during playback. So not sure if that is my encoding problem or rockplayer problem or Xoom problem. Either way it does work for most other content.
    03-16-2011 11:42 PM
    I just downloaded doubletwist and it works fine. Still layed out in phone format, but it doesn't display a logo in the upper left hand corner that I saw rockplayer did.
    03-17-2011 04:17 AM
    I tried both and found Doubletwist to be confusing and hard to work with. I couldn't get videos to transfer or play either.
    Rockplayer behaved more civilly, playing the one .avi file I downloaded to my Xoom. So although that isn't exactly a comprehensive test it may help a few of you.
    03-17-2011 08:39 AM
    I have still been using qqplayer. Its not perfect but I have watched a few movies using it, and it hasn't crashed on me.
    03-17-2011 09:44 AM
    I recommend Rockplayer for SD video until the VLC guys port to Android. For HD video, you're SOL until someone writes for the Tegra hardware decoder.

Welcome to the first adopters club. Please have a seat over here until develoers can catch up with this beautiful device. :-)
    03-17-2011 10:00 AM
    Vplayer and Rockplayer

On my HTC incredible I like vplayer the best for codec, speed, and streaming support. Rockplayer is my second choice only because it appears to be a bit slower. Slower being more likely for video and audio to get out of sync. Great streaming and coded support though. I use both with Upnp/dlna browsers skifta and upnplay alot. However vplayer currently is not working on my xoom. Rockplayer has been the most reliable full codec player on the xoom so far. Though I'm hoping vplayer gets updated soon.

Yxplayer has a nice feature set including built in windows share/samba and upnp/dlna support, but was very buggy and crashes on both my incredible and xoom.
    03-17-2011 10:17 AM
    Yes, I've tried the rockplayer and it seems to have the code for SD. I wish they hurry up with the hardware support for tegra. It makes the xoom an unfinished product but I must be patient.
    03-17-2011 01:18 PM
    What's the best player for mkv,s?seeing as there's no amazon vod in uk,any that play smoothly?
    03-17-2011 03:57 PM
    What's the best player for mkv,s?seeing as there's no amazon vod in uk,any that play smoothly?
    Great question, I have downloaded every video player on the market and none play x264 or h264 without chop. As mentioned before HD support isn't there yet.

I do remember seeing a post about the flash 10.2 update that mentioned something about x264 being better. I was kind of hoping that would mean I could play a 720p x264 on my xoom now that would have more then .0001 FPS.
    03-17-2011 05:40 PM
    A lot of players play .mkv files. But know that not all video codecs are the same. Some use more computer resources to decode than others. That's why some codecs/videos are smoother than others at the same resolution. So yes the zoom can play 720p video but not from any codec. Yes there are video players that will play .mkv container videos but the hardware may not have the power to eliminate chop or out of sync issues.

It would be interesting if someone found out which codecs were the most efficient and then you can transcode your videos to that format. You will get the smoothest highest resolution playback that way.
    03-17-2011 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD