What do you use your Xoom for?

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a rooted Color Nook and use primarly to read books and watch movies, and to do occasional browsing and reading emails. What additional things do people do on their Xoom. With the Wifi unit at $599 an upgrade is affordable, but what will it buy me?

Reactions: Vudumedic

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wanted mine because I didn't have a tablet yet. I wanted a Honeycomb tablet with a 10" screen. I watch movies, surf the web and play games on mine. I like having the 3G so I can go anywhere, like the auto shop, and have access to the web. This will allow me to keep my laptop at home on vacations and generally go places and do things I couldn't. I read books with my phone before but using the tablet is better and now I'm more willing to buy more ebooks because they are easier to read.

Going from a Nook to a Wifi Xoom won't buy you much except a larger screen. The Wifi Xoom doesn't get you much besides a true tablet OS. That will probably eventually come to the Nook.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Its bigger and faster, with an improved operating system. The core applications have been redone to work better with a tablet; Gmail, gtalk, the browser several other applications that if you enjoy the nook version, you will enjoy on a larger, relatively faster display.

And I'm not all up to snuff on what the nook is able to do. I know there is a functional version of honeycomb running. Are the new apps working, Bluetooth, GPS, no cameras, the other obvious stuff?

Either way its hard to justify two tablets. One more than likely gets thrown to the wayside.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I use mine for: communication, admin work, getting marketing data, creating/editing excel sheets, IRC, forums, tweeting, music, reading, looking things up and gaming.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used my MacBook Pro since I got my XOOM lol. Only for transferring thing to my XOOM.

How do you find typing and other content creation activities to be on the XOOM? They are rather hard on the NC. A 3 or 4 paragraph message that is a breeze on a laptop is pretty tedious and error prone on the NC like it is on a phone.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
How do you find typing and other content creation activities to be on the XOOM? They are rather hard on the NC. A 3 or 4 paragraph message that is a breeze on a laptop is pretty tedious and error prone on the NC like it is on a phone.

I use Thumb Keyboard and when I type on a table the normal keyboard is great. From my understanding, the Nook Color is smaller than the XOOM so the keyboard is not as easy to type on. Large paragraphs are pretty easy, especially coming from a smaller device like the Droid X. Creation is pretty easy, if I want to post to my blog I can use the Wordpress App and browsing the forums is really great.

lightshedder

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use mine for all manner of multitasking while at home or in the office. Right now my laptop is busy rendering a video so I picked up the xoom to check forums, email, twitter, etc. While on the road I use it on 3g at airports,in hotels,in the car,etc pretty much as a laptop replacement. I have the thumb keyboard buried have it set to standard keyboard and I findthat I can almost touch type on it...kind of six finger hunt and Peck that is actually acceptably fast and accurate with the aid of auto correct. Typing this on it.then too its primary purpose was to be a digital portfolio at which IMHO it excells. It is my second tablet after about 4 months with the Archos 101. No regrets. ;)

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Any issues with the weight on the Xoom? One thing I do is read in bed. With the NC I can lay on my back and hold it above me like a magazine. Is the Xoom too heavy to hold up like this with 1 hand?

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I quite like it for bed time reading. It was a little strange at first, but it didn't take long to grow on me. Airplane reading is pretty good to.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
web surfing, movies, games very rarely. Just waiting for a better office suite and optimized skype.

I read news a lot, so first thing I do when I wake up is grab my Xoom, refresh Pulse and spend the next hour reading what's what.

admiral70

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I use my xoom for corporate work and pleasure. Read my enterprise post at HTTP://WWW.jeff-blankenship.com. the pleasure side I read RSS feeds, newspapers, ebooks and of course games galore.

Did use the the gtalk video chat to watch my 6 yo color while I was away on business.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

ootuoyetahi

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
How do you use your xoom?

I am interested in the xoom especially with the wifi version coming out this weekend. I have had the luxury of playing with one at work and it seemed to be really nice. My question though, is what do you guys do with it? Everyone these days has a computer, probably a laptop at that. So, what do you do with it? How do you use it? As nice as they are, I'm not really sure how i would use it. I have read a lot of people saying they use it a lot more than they anticipated, but no one really has gone in to much detail about what they do with it. What I will probably do is pick one up Sunday and return it if need be, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

THANKS!

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I browse the internet during my commute and at work (since they block 90% of the internet on desktops) and when im in bed I watch movies/tv episodes.

rlyell

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I am a physician using electronic medical records (for 5 years). I had been using a laptop with touchscreen, but these became cost prohibitive to continue. Since adding Thumb Keyboard, I find it very usable in the patient room. Until I added the extra keyboard, though, I was close to retuning it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member