Anyone have this problem?

3800scpowered

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When browsing the market, it doesn't remember my place in the list after viewing an app description. I hit the back button and I have to start at the top every time.

The same thing with the web browser. After I hit the back button it reloads the page and puts me at the top of the page.

One more thing. How do I stop the music player from opening its self? It shows the headphone icon in the bottom bar all the time. I close it and its back ten minutes later.

Anyone having this problems? Hope I'm not just missing something :)

Thanks for your help!

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys may be hitting the wrong "back" button. I just went the to browser and dove about 5 layers deep. Hitting the back button on the browser pops me out one layer, as expected. Hitting the Honeycomb back button at the bottom of the screen gives me the results you guys are describing.

In Market, there is a Market back button at the top left. If you search apps or books, the Market back button brings you back to the same location within market that you saw your app or book... just as expected. I remain at my search spot within Market. Again, hitting the Honeycomb back button at the bottom of the screen does what you're complaining about.

I agree with the inability of leaving comments and reviews about apps. I'd also like to see that added. Hopefully it will soon.

I've never had the problem of the music player automagically opening, so I can't comment on that.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Yup ... I've had these problems, and shared some of them with the forum and with Google...

Not actually unstable, but there are some quirks in the Honeycomb Android Market. I've reported the first two issues to Google, and have heard back from them that they are forwarding the first issue on to their Android Market Team:

1. The user's place in a long list of apps is not retained while toggling between the app list and app details. Example: Search on "Handmark" and the response indicates there are 134 matching results. Scroll down a couple dozen rows and touch any app to view the details. Now touch BACK to return to the list. Instead of seeing the same app you just touched, you are taken to row 1 and have to scroll down the list again to find the spot where you left off. (Not very convenient when you are browsing and comparing results!)

2. The Market Home page includes a link for "Android Apps for Tablets >" and below it displays 6 apps. If you click the link, the screen updates and you see 16 apps, but the header remains a link "Android Apps for Tablets >", but serves no additional purpose - it doesn't take you anywhere. Now search on "Tablet". It reports 1325 results were found. However, it only displays 19 apps and there's no way to scroll or see additional results - just these 19. So while using a tablet it's not easy to find tablet apps in the Marketplace app. (For comparison, the web marketplace reports 1399 results for a search on "tablet".)

3. In the Android Market on a phone you can rate a user's comment or report it as spam. I can't find equivalent functionality in the Honeycomb Market.
They somewhat resolved #2, the others are not yet resolved on the Xoom.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Android Market Support <android-market-support@google.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [#772240214] Your feedback about the Xoom and Android Apps
To: <me>

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. I'll be sure to share your
feedback with the rest of the Android Market team.

If I can assist you further, please let me know.

Regards,
Jordan
The Android Market Team

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Subject: Your feedback about the Xoom and Android Apps
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 05:59:43 +0000

>
>
> AutoDetectedBrowser: Safari 4
> AutoDetectedOS: Android 3
> IssueType: xoom_apps
> Language: en
> android_app_name: Honeycomb Android Market
> xoom_description: The user's place in a list of applications is not
> remembered when browsing apps. For example, search on Handmark, a
> publisher. The results are returned over dozens of rows. Scroll down a page
> or two, touch an application name to view details of the app. Now touch the
> Back button. Instead of still being on the same row previously displayed,
> the user is now on row 1 again, and has to scroll through the results again
> to try to find where he last was browsing.
>

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that browser problem, it usually keeps my place in the previous web page. But I DO have the headphones icon issue with the Music app. It's kind of annoying and is obviously a bug.

Hey Google/Moto/Verizon, if you guys are reading these forums, please push out as many updates as you like. We don't mind them! Keep working on that Honeycomb AOSP!

3800scpowered

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you guys may be hitting the wrong "back" button. I just went the to browser and dove about 5 layers deep. Hitting the back button on the browser pops me out one layer, as expected. Hitting the Honeycomb back button at the bottom of the screen gives me the results you guys are describing.

In Market, there is a Market back button at the top left. If you search apps or books, the Market back button brings you back to the same location within market that you saw your app or book... just as expected. I remain at my search spot within Market. Again, hitting the Honeycomb back button at the bottom of the screen does what you're complaining about.

I agree with the inability of leaving comments and reviews about apps. I'd also like to see that added. Hopefully it will soon.

I've never had the problem of the music player automagically opening, so I can't comment on that.

I still get the same result with either back button. I was hoping it was something I was over looking. :(

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
also on my xoom it doesnt tell you you have the app installed unless you are in your app list in the market. If you are browsing and see an app you already know you have then it doesnt say installed like it does on my phone

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This is weird. I just tried all this again and it works fine. The back button in the browser works exactly as it should.

In Market, I did exactly as Drew2U suggested... searched on "Handmark" when scrolled down a bunch of rows (it shows 140 apps now) and clicked on "Giants Inside Slant". When I touched the "in application back" button, I'm right back to the same place on the list of apps, showing the same page containing "Giant's Inside Slant". This is what you're talking about, right?

If I understand correctly, when you hit your "in application back" button, you don't come back to the same point in the list. You come back to the top of the list, as if you just searched on "Handmark"?

I'm assuming you guys are absolutely sure you're not hitting the "Honeycomb back" button on the bottom left of the screen. You're only hitting the back button offered in the actual application? ...the one in the upper left corner of the display?

If you are indeed touching the proper "back" button, that is disturbing. There is no way it should be different between units. That's a bug, no doubt about it.

3800scpowered

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This is weird. I just tried all this again and it works fine. The back button in the browser works exactly as it should.

In Market, I did exactly as Drew2U suggested... searched on "Handmark" when scrolled down a bunch of rows (it shows 140 apps now) and clicked on "Giants Inside Slant". When I touched the "in application back" button, I'm right back to the same place on the list of apps, showing the same page containing "Giant's Inside Slant". This is what you're talking about, right?

If I understand correctly, when you hit your "in application back" button, you don't come back to the same point in the list. You come back to the top of the list, as if you just searched on "Handmark"?

I'm assuming you guys are absolutely sure you're not hitting the "Honeycomb back" button on the bottom left of the screen. You're only hitting the back button offered in the actual application? ...the one in the upper left corner of the display?

If you are indeed touching the proper "back" button, that is disturbing. There is no way it should be different between units. That's a bug, no doubt about it.

Both back buttons, application back button and honeycomb back button, provide the same results for me. I even let it load the page all the way and THEN WAIT a minute or so, hoping it would jump to the right place once its loaded! But it sits at the top.

I'm sure a fix is on its way. I have sent an email or two the google. Others have sent email too.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm absolutely sure...

Beyond that, though, I think it's a mistake to presume there is a "proper" Back button for use in the Market. With the exception of applications that specifically override the status bar Back button (and inform you) every app I've used has treated the Back button as an incremental button to return you to the previous view.

Consider another app by Google: Gmail. If you open it, you see your folders on the left and the email listing on the right. Touch an email message to view it, and the display updates to show the email list on the left and the email message body on the right. If you touch the status bar Back or touch the Gmail icon in the top left corner, which now displays a tiny triangle, both options take you back to the previous view. To me, this is logical and it's intuitive that a user should be able to hit Back in the status bar to step back one view.

So that's why I don't think anyone can say Back performs in only one way, and we should be using the "app back" button. in fact, even the user manual says that Back returns to the previous screen.

I think Google just did a rushed job on the Market for Honeycomb, and what we are seeing are bugs that should be resolved.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure a fix is on its way. I have sent an email or two the google. Others have sent email too.
I think Google just did a rushed job on the Market for Honeycomb, and what we are seeing are bugs that should be resolved.
Yeah.

It's disturbing that two units will behave differently. This implies an intermittent error/bug. They are harder to fix than a bug that shows itself every time in the same exact way on every unit.

I don't care about the easy bugs... I know they can/will be fixed. But Intermittent bugs are a different thing. They mean the software could be "flaky".

For that reason, I care about this bug more than any other I've read about.