Xoom Battery Life

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Anyone who owe an iPad prior to the Xoom can comment on the battery life? On the iPad, I can go on a week or two just on general browsing w/o having to charge. Just the tap to the top power and the screen turns off, not shutdown.

On the Xoom, how long does it last on general use? I know the spec said up to 9hrs, but I am more concern on general usage w/o having to do a full shutdown.

(assuming I get WIFI version, so with 3G turned off for those with 3G now)

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Charge my ipad ones ipad. Twos and both of my xooms each night. I get full day plus with heavy xoom usage. No battery worries here.

If you are in need of weeks or months of standby I hear the kindle is sweet.

Reactions: clavodulce16

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I thought the spec was over 10 hours of constant video playback on the XOOM?

Anyway, I flew back from Singapore on Sunday/Monday of this week. It's about 20 hours. There was on-board WiFi, so I was able to do emails, browse, read, write, etc...

The XOOM lasted the entire trip with power to spare. Granted, I stopped using it while I ate and watched an on-board movie, but I was at the XOOM for well over 10 hours. I'd put my usage at a minimum of 11.5 to 12 hours and a maximum of 14 hours. I think the time over 10 hours is accounted for by the time most of the unit was in standby while I was either reading off it or writing into it. The core goes to sleep and peripherals are powered down when not used.

I can't be more pleased. The screen was great... absolutely no eye strain all that time. The only downside was a three day kink in my neck from looking down in my lap for so long. I'll know better for next time and prop my hands up on pillow or something.

In the end, I can attest to the advertising slogan "Grap it and it grabs you". It has certainly grabbed me.

Reactions: KoukiFC3S

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Charge my ipad ones ipad. Twos and both of my xooms each night. I get full day plus with heavy xoom usage. No battery worries here.

If you are in need of weeks or months of standby I hear the kindle is sweet.

Same here... no issues with battery life what so ever. I do plug in and charge when I hit the hay for the night. IMO, battery rocks!!

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't get anywhere near 10 hours on my Xoom. I browse the web, watch video, play a few games and mine is almost completely discharged in 5 hours.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I owned an ipad 1, have a xoom and ipad 2.

Ipad 2 has better battery life for sure, but the Xoom has more than enough to last a day or two.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't get anywhere near 10 hours on my Xoom. I browse the web, watch video, play a few games and mine is almost completely discharged in 5 hours.

Go to your battery status and see what has been using your battery. I kill my Xoom on a daily basis and almost always end the day between 30 - 35%, that's off the charge at 6:30AM and back on at around 1AM.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Go to your battery status and see what has been using your battery. I kill my Xoom on a daily basis and almost always end the day between 30 - 35%, that's off the charge at 6:30AM and back on at around 1AM.

Thanks I'll check it out when I get home. I think mine *may* be defective anyway since my Xoom seems to only recognize that it has 512mb of RAM.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. That's not anywhere near the experience I'm getting.

Have you let the battery drain down to 15% or below (red LED)? Batteries need to be exercised. They can lose capacity (or never achieve full capacity) if they are never allowed to drain all the way down.

Batteries can also be damaged if they drain down too far. Theoretically, the on-board battery manager should protect the battery from this, but I stop using and start charging when the LED turns red. BTW, I rarely charge before the red LED shows up. This ensures the battery is fully exercised on an on-going basis.

My XOOM usually goes about two or three days with my normal usage before it needs a charge. I've haven't logged how long it is in use over that time, but it's easily more than twice the time you are getting.

crewcabrob

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
My family and I are getting ready to fly to Europe this summer for a long vacation. My son and I got Xooms. Not only for our trip but just general usage. I have ran the battery down at least twice doing normal browsing and watching movies.

At my desk at work,I have turned off the 3g/wireless and dimmed the screen all the way down. then I fired up a movie and let it play all day long at my desk over and over again. After 9 hours of being the office with movies playing all day, I would leave with about 31-34% left. I plan on doing a test with the screen on auto and wifi turned on as well as the movie playing all day to see what it looks like at the end.

I have no idea how long a flight will be from Chicago to London, but I hope to have enough to cover at least that trip and still have some juice when we arrive.

Rob

Androxoom

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I need some advice please :
I noticed some bizarre, random behavior on my xoom, after turning on the device, when I check "battery use" in "settings" it shows around 90% for display and the remaining for some other apps, but last week after I charged it to 100%, went out for a few hours and when I was back and checked the device, was surprised to see 87% left on my charge (without using it the whole time). I checked the battery use and the funny thing is it showd 35% usage for the display, 58% for android OS, and the remaining for other apps. I turned it off and back on, and everything was normal again. This happened again today and this time, in addition to "android OS", some app "mobile data" was also using much battery. (I use a wifi only xoom)
Any idea what causes this, because one expects the display to use the main part of the battery, not the OS or any other app.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
We have a 3G iPad (original) and a wifi Xoom, both with wifi always enabled. The iPad definitely lasts longer, but not by a huge margin. When it comes to recharging, the Xoom is noticeably faster, but again not by a huge margin. I don't have an iPad 2, so I can't comment on the newest generation iOS tablet, but I imagine the results would be comparable.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I use my xoom heavily. In fact the only time I am on my computer anymore is to transfer doubletwist content (wish they would make a dasktop like client for 3.0) and to transfer movies onto it. I can go three days or so on a charge depending on how much video watching and playing with the games I do it may go longer granted I run my battery down to 10% or so shut it down and charge. It takes about an 1.5 hours or so to fully chargeband then I am good to go again. How that applies to other devicees and there life I can't say.

akalias1981

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I need some advice please :
I noticed some bizarre, random behavior on my xoom, after turning on the device, when I check "battery use" in "settings" it shows around 90% for display and the remaining for some other apps, but last week after I charged it to 100%, went out for a few hours and when I was back and checked the device, was surprised to see 87% left on my charge (without using it the whole time). I checked the battery use and the funny thing is it showd 35% usage for the display, 58% for android OS, and the remaining for other apps. I turned it off and back on, and everything was normal again. This happened again today and this time, in addition to "android OS", some app "mobile data" was also using much battery. (I use a wifi only xoom)
Any idea what causes this, because one expects the display to use the main part of the battery, not the OS or any other app.

Did you ever resolve your issue with Android OS using all your battery? I have the same issue now and I am pulling my hair out. I am getting less than a day out of my Xoom, with no use at all, i.e. screen off, nothing running and the battery is dead in less than 24 hours, with Android OS the culprit showing very long cpu running time. Let me know if you found a solution.

Thanks,

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever resolve your issue with Android OS using all your battery? I have the same issue now and I am pulling my hair out. I am getting less than a day out of my Xoom, with no use at all, i.e. screen off, nothing running and the battery is dead in less than 24 hours, with Android OS the culprit showing very long cpu running time. Let me know if you found a solution.

Thanks,

If it the OS showing as the main user of battery start by looking at what apps you installed right before it started happening. I would suggest starting with any that don't say they are honeycomb optimized and remove them one at a time. It sounds like maybe an app isn't closing down properly allowing the OS to shut down so it keeps running the processer draining your battery.

chapsrulez

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
10-12 hours with a low contrast on the screen.
if i go to the highest contrast on screen, to use it on exteriors; 8-9 hours.

I configure my apps (tweetdeck, twitdroid, etc) to update every 30 mins.

Reactions: csscmaster3