I'm torn between the iPad2 and the Moto Xoom (wi-fi).

The question I do have... if I get the Wi-fi Xoom, can I later add a data plan if I decide I want one?
    03-19-2011 10:29 AM
    And if so.... since I will already have the Xoom, can I get a data plan without having to sign a long contract?

thanks in advance!
    03-19-2011 10:32 AM
    Wifi only means no 3g radios. So I would say no for getting a data plan.
    03-19-2011 10:39 AM
    I thought I saw in one of the video's that the wifi xoom comes with a slot for a 4g Upgrade when available.
    03-19-2011 10:41 AM
    unfortunately you can't get the data plan with a wifi only xoom...it lacks the antennae for receiving 3g/4g, hence the $200 cheaper price tag...

as of now the only way you could pull that off would be to buy the xoom outright ($799) from verizon or bestbuy and not get the data plan right away...you could then add a data plan later on if you wished, and the data plans are month to month...only downside is if you decide to cancel the data plan and then restart it costs you $35 for activating it again.

i paid full retail for mine and also decided to get a data plan(without contract) and couldn't be happier...price is steep but you get what ya pay for!

hope this helps
    mkers21 likes this.
    03-19-2011 10:43 AM
    I was undecided between wifi only, or 3G radio, and decided I would just get the wifi only, and then sign up for the 3G mobile hotspot with my Droid Inc if I need data away from home. The 3G mobile hotspot will cost $20 a month for 2 Gig of data. That is better than month to month or contract for 1 Gig of data for $20 a month, and this way I can share it with my laptop if I need to also.
    03-19-2011 03:52 PM
    I'm torn between the iPad2 and the Moto Xoom (wi-fi).

The question I do have... if I get the Wi-fi Xoom, can I later add a data plan if I decide I want one?
    And if so.... since I will already have the Xoom, can I get a data plan without having to sign a long contract?

thanks in advance!
    I thought I saw in one of the video's that the wifi xoom comes with a slot for a 4g Upgrade when available.
    You are confusing the current model Xoom that is out on the market (WiFi + 3G with free upgrade to 4G) with the "WiFi Xoom" that is coming out in 8 days which does not include any cellular radios nor will be added. This is why other members are telling you that no, you cannot sign up for a data plan with the WiFi Xoom. If you want the option of a data plan at any point, you would want the current Xoom that is out which has built-in 3G on Verizon with a free upgrade to 4G. It is $799 without a contract (month-to-month data plan) or $599 with a two year contract (required data plan for the length of the contract).
    03-19-2011 04:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD