Wifi Only - micro-SD?

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Does it seem suspicious to anyone else that on Motorola's site as well as Costco's site, the specs for the WiFi only Xoom don't mention anything about the micro-sd card slot?

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I noticed this as well. I'm not sure if it does or does not have a micro-SD slot. It may not be activated at launch. We will find out soon enough........

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
wasnt there mention on Europe versions there was no SD card on there WiFi. I believe I read some where

Flipper

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Just rceived my XOOM WI-FI only and yes MicroSD slot does not work. I figured that it would and missed that in the reading. Oh well common software update!

mikemsd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
What!? Seriously? The MicroSD slot does not work? I hadn't tried it yet, but when I get home, I'm going to test and double check that on my wi-fi only Xoom. If that doesn't work, this thing may be going back to CostCo. I can't believe they would not include such a simple feature.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What!? Seriously? The MicroSD slot does not work? I hadn't tried it yet, but when I get home, I'm going to test and double check that on my wi-fi only Xoom. If that doesn't work, this thing may be going back to CostCo. I can't believe they would not include such a simple feature.

Relax mate, if you've read anything about the Xoom, right from the start, everyone knew it was going to have a micro sd slot but that it wouldn't be working until Google updated Honeycomb with sd card support. It will eventually be working, just waiting on Google to update. shouldn't be much longer. With all the new tablets coming out I'm sure they want this working before they hit the street.

Rest assured, if anymore honeycomb tablets are released with sd slots - if the Xoom's isn't working yet, they won't be either.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks....needed a laugh. Lmao.

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site

What? lol No way can the microSD slot be that big of a deal to you right at this very second.

Now, if it didn't have one or was never going to be updated, fine, but damn. calm down haha

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The SD card is just a software issue related to how honeycomb deals with data. I suspect it should be fixed by next month. So keep your fingers and toes crossed, other wise I love my Xoom.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It does seem rather odd though. My wife's gtablet has both an SD card slot and a USB disk and they both work well. I know it is an earlier version of Android, but it should be a simple thing to carry over. In fact, one of the root version has USB disk access that was copied from the gtablet; so why didn't Google/Motorola include it in the Xoom?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
It does seem rather odd though. My wife's gtablet has both an SD card slot and a USB disk and they both work well. I know it is an earlier version of Android, but it should be a simple thing to carry over. In fact, one of the root version has USB disk access that was copied from the gtablet; so why didn't Google/Motorola include it in the Xoom?

Others like the gtab are running Android for phones. This is a whole new thing built just for tabs so they didn't set it up yet. Also not sure how they can make all this stuff work and not something that sounds simple but maybe its not.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

Are you saying you spent $600 on something that you did little to no research on? Is your internal 32GB drive full already, requiring this extra storage? Do you actually have a microSD on hand to use?

Motorola/Google have been advertising a fix early Q2, aka this month.

myarbro

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying you spent $600 on something that you did little to no research on? Is your internal 32GB drive full already, requiring this extra storage? Do you actually have a microSD on hand to use?

Motorola/Google have been advertising a fix early Q2, aka this month.

Lol and ftw. Seriously...sounds like guy up there is the ends isle shopper. If so, how did u end up with a Xoom sad not and Ipad?

Patience my young paduwon...

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk.

Reactions: habanero

javelina11

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Lol and ftw. Seriously...sounds like guy up there is the ends isle shopper. If so, how did u end up with a Xoom sad not and Ipad?

Patience my young paduwon...

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk.

end isle shopper, love it!

that gets filed along side the Fry's "White Sticker of Death..."

Niice.... :)

flopo

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
OMG! I haven't even had my Nexus S 3 months and I'm still getting used to that after being tortured by Blackberry for two years. So last night, my friend stops by and says, "Throw on some clothes I need you to help me to pick out some stuff at Future Shop and they close in an hour". Well I obliged and we arrived with half an hour to spare. So I help her pick out a kindle case then she wants to look at tablets. Okay, being broke with no hope of any significant income soon, I haven't done a whole lot of research on tablets. She wants to know which one she should by, so my mind down shifts into third and the gears are squealing. Okay, right off the top, "Blackberry anything" is out, Acer with a windows 7 OS? Don't think so. No Samsung, okay don't have to think about that, that leaves the Xoom and the iPad. iPad with everything IOS, no open source, and the fact that I love my droid, I'm saying, okay, if it were me, I would definitely go with the Xoom. So she tells the guy "Okay, I'll take two of the Xoom things". At first I was confused, then I realized she was buying me one as well. OMG! How do you accept a gift like that? Especially here with the damn 12% HST. Then you have to buy the screen protector and the case. I can't believe someone would do something so nice for me. Then she took me to the drugstore and bought me all kinds of extra goodies. Shock and Awe.

But now I have to wait for another update for my SD card to work? LOL, guess I'll just have to live with that. Can someone let me know when the update comes out?

rossforney

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I love how people jump on homeboy up a few comments ago for being frustrated that you can spend $600 on a device that HAS a micro sd card slot without knowing that it's not yet activated. I mean the guy has plenty good reason to be unsatisfied with his purchase. This has been a bone of contention with me as well.
It does suck that you can go buy a Xoom that HAS a micro sd card slot built right into it but doesn't work out of the box? If you got home one day and someone had surprised you with a brand new car in your driveway but then when you went to drive it found out that you could only use first gear until they could come over and install a specific part for the car and months go by and you never even get word from them as to when the car will be FULLY operational it doesn't take too many days of staring at the car in the driveway before you start to resent it, whether a free car or a $600 Xoom. Having something that doesn't deliver what it implies is bad business and only fuels buyers remorse.

Next thing you know you find the market updated with movies for rent. Great feature. Awesome. But I've already got movies that I've PURCHASED that I would love to side load to an SD CARD, but that doesn't seem to be much of a priority. Not to mention a Netflix subscription that I also already pay for but can't use that ether. It's always go buy the next thing, pay for the next service sign up for the next program until eventually go upgrade to the next $600 half baked product that wont work until the next one comes to market.
And spare me all the JUST ARROUND THE CORNER BE PATIENT comments from all you know-it-alls who went after homeboy. You've been saying that for MONTHS now! Meanwhile the newer and better tablets are coming to market and my Xoom STILL doesn't operate how it is supposed to.

Lots of exciting stuff happening with Google and the Xoom is an awesome tablet. It just seems like Android is getting a little too big for it's britches when you can't sell one to any random person at Best Buy without sending them threw MONTHS of research in computer programming and form thread after form thread after form thread after form thread. You've got to admit that outside of all the fanboy excitement it's a little bit lame. When a $600 electronic product hits market it should WORK!

Please don't crucify me or think that I'm not in love with Android. I just get tired of all the fan boy hype. Whether it's Google or Motorola or Netflix or whoever's fault it is I just think someone should be held accountable for selling (expensive) high tech gadgets that are so high tech that they never (or at least rarely) work right. Then again, what do I know, I'm probably just an idiot who is holding the phone wrong...

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Well the car part got me thinking that yes it does stink in that way. I knew like most others it wasn't work but if I didn't really know about the Xoom and got it as a gift I would think it was broken. Then have to find out what's wrong and wait for it to be fixed. The Xoom should have been release if like this just online to people who want it to develop or know its not 100%. Should not have been sold to the mass public as it is.

sent by CyanogenMod X