Options for fine-tipped stylus?

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Having come from a resistive touchscreen (Ipaq) PDA background, I had gotten used to using PhatWare's handwriting input apps, and thought That I'd be able to use their tablet version of WritePad on my Xoom, assuming that the larger screen would compensate for the lower precision associated with the capacitive touchscreen (it didn't work out on my Droid X due to screen size).

However, I'm having difficulty in getting either a soft "bulb" tip stylus or a hard, beveled-tip stylus to "track well". I've tried increasing the "ink width" to the maximum 9-pixel setting, which helps some, yet, I continue to have trouble getting either stylus to accurately transmit my actual on-screen movement.

Does anyone know of a better stylus design which can overcome the limitations of a capacitive touchscreen (it's no better for those I know who've tried it on iPads)? I a bit sketchy on on just how many adjacent pixels need to be activated to register a stylus's track, but it seems that with the right design, it could be achieved. The finer tip provided by the beveled stylus :skips" too much, while the bulb seems to activate too many points to get an accurate representation of my writing (excessive "surrounding" of sharp movements, especially, causing mis-reads).

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I did a test once with some flat foil. On both my nook and my Galaxy S, the minimum "tip" size they would recognize was approximately 1/8"x1/4", maybe a little smaller. Not a very precise tool for writing, no matter the shape. I'm not sure if it's the facts of a capacitive screen, or if it's a software thing to prevent small unintended touches from rendering as real touches. Which ever it is, it seems that a capacitive tablet that doesn't have hand writing built in just won't do it well.

rich_r

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Well I just ordered a Dagi stylus for my Xoom -- mostly to use with Sketchbook. I haven't received it yet, so I cannot comment on it from personal experience. But the reason I bought it, is because of its unique design. The tip is clear plastic with a red dot in the center. The plastic is large enough to make the capacitive sensor happy, but you can see the center point which (in theory) makes if very precise.

I won't get it for a couple weeks. I ordered the P501 (from ebay) and they're giving me a P101.

The Dagi has gotten some great reviews -- a google search should yield a bunch of results. There are also several Youtube videos that give you some idea of how it works.

Reactions: TJH132 and slwerner

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
<i>"The Dagi has gotten some great reviews"</i>

Thank you rich_r, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.

Checked out the videos on <a href="http://www.dagi.com.tw/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=p501&Rcg=2">Dagi's site</a>, and promptly ordered one.

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
While i was at Best Buy tho, saw that there was this:
1151337_sb.jpg

Targus - Stylus for Apple? iPad™
omg so much win for 15bux
no more fingerprints on the glass :tup:

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
how bout this?
7398.jpg

This genuine HTC Capacitive Stylus allows you to utilize your touch screen device without ever having to get your screen dirty. Type, swipe, and even use it for playing your favorite mobile games. The HTC Capacitive Stylus is slim, comfortable to use and easy to store in your pocket, purse or clip on your shirt.

Features:

OEM HTC Capacitive Stylus
Slim and Comfortable
Use it for typing, swiping and more
Easy portability

alphanu22

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
thumb_550_HTC-Flyer_pen.jpg

Hang Tight, HTC hais something in the works. hope it works for the XOOM-
HTC's pen-based Scribe technology will be made available for developers to use, according to recent reports. This will allow developers to create apps which take advantage of the unique hardware of HTC's upcoming Flyer and EVO View 4G tablets, which combine a touchscreen and pressure-sensitive pen.

HTC has already shown off a few interesting uses for Scribe at MWC and CTIA, including note-taking and drawing apps, so we look forward to see what developers can come up with when they're let loose on the technology. In particular Nintendo DS-style pen-based games would be an interesting prospect. HTC hasn't mentioned when the APIs will be released, but the Flyer and EVO View are both due out during the second quarter of the year.

ncl

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
This will not work with the Xoom. HTC has built additional hardware into their screen on Flyer to support the use of their stylus.

janis

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried the Dagi stylus, and although the concept is good, the actual use isn't that great. You have to get the flat tip to lie flat on the screen. It's OK if you're drawing and thinking, or if you get hyper-practiced with the writing angle you have to use, but for as mindless as most of us are with a pen, it's pretty much useless.

What I think is missing in the product list is a semi-firm rubber tip, or at least something firmer than what's out there, which would have to be rounded to work, but hopefully just enough to trigger the 1/8-inch (or whatever) the screen needs.

I'm a PhatWare user, too. I still sometimes use my old HTC Advantage for taking notes & drawing diagrams. I'm not excited about everything going so exclusively capacitive. (I cracked it out this winter, too, as my primary phone when it got consistently below 0 degrees just so I didn't have to take off my gloves.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma