"Auto Mobile" Browser?

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Hello,
Sorry if this has already been asked before, but here goes...

I'm getting ready to purchase a WiFi-only Xoom. I tested a 3G model today at my local Verizon store, and I like everything except...

I noticed lots of sites I visited with the Xoom browser automatically went into "m" mode -- for mobile devices. I asked the guy in the store about this and he said it's built into the system. That didn't sound right to me.

There is a way to stop the Xoom from automatically going into mobile mode on the browser, right?

Thanks,
Matthew

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes there is. A lot of sites allow you to choose Mobile. Or full web mode. Also in the browser settings you can tell it to use desktop mode so that it identifies itself to the website as a full browser.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
The key is to enter about:debug into your browser then change the UAString to desktop under settings.

Someone should sticky a how-to on this.

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
REHolt218,
OK, that's good. It would be a real waste of a nice screen otherwise! I didn't have time to get into all the settings, but the comment from the Verizon Store employee didn't sound right.

I had a feeling the guy at the Verizon Store didn't know much. My first clue... When I said I was waiting for the WiFi-only version, he said, "well, any Xoom can be WiFi only." He said he hadn't heard anything about a WiFi-only model.

So I opened the Xoom browser and Googled an article on it to show him!

Thanks,
Matthew

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It's called Desktop mode ... see a [How To] that someone created for it. (Search --> Subject: How To)

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Only problem with about debug once you turn off or reboot you have to do the steps again.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
That's why I recommend seeing the How To thread... there are some tips for toggling desktop/mobile modes on and off fairly quickly.

Here it is: [HOW TO] Make Honeycombs browser load Desktop Sites

http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...bs-browser-load-desktop-sites.html#post660768

Well this just isn't my night to post links.... do a search on "How to Browser" and look for the thread title above.

Last edited:

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry... I was typing when your response posted.

Guess I'm not the only one who has asked this question! But it doesn't sound like a big deal to remedy it.

Thanks,
Matthew

No need to say sorry. You are right, this quetion has been asked several times. I vote we should "sticky" a how-to on this so people can find the info they need.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
We are keeping the sticky section to 5 Max. Lets put together a Xoom tips and trick thread and ill make it happen. Post all tips and I will link them all.

Reactions: p08757

azxoom23

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Groupwise Email cant be viewed properly

Pardon my numbness, but is this the same thing I should try to get the Groupwise email to display correctly on my Xoom?? Thanks..

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Good Morning,
I also suggest a "tips & tricks" area. As I get up to speed on using Android, I'd be happy to contribute.

After looking at this and other discussions, it seems there are decent solutions for "desktop" mode, although I'd rather not do it every time I start the device. Some sites that force a mobile version are ones I use all the time. Maybe there will be a better solution in Android at some point?

Thanks,
Matthew

PS: By the way, I'm really impressed with this community. I'm a big fan of forums where people treat each other the way they would in the "real" world. I have some experience making this happen, having created and managed a major woodworking forum.