Finding the WIFI version before sunday

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Being that no stores receive shipments on Sunday, I'd bet the majority of them will be getting shipments today through firday. I am sure it will be possible to get some clueless stores to sell you one early.

Last edited:
Reactions: stebog

stebog

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait for Sunday either. I'm just hoping that Sams Club launches this weekend at the rumored price. If not, I guess it's off to Amazon but I might not be able to wait.

effingpace

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
All the stores will have them Friday/Saturday, Oasis9389 maybe microcenter in paterson? give them a call to see if they are selling it.

deezus

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
A manager at staples said they will have a sneak peak in their Friday ad but they will have them on the 27th at ten am when they open.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I stopped in a bestbuy yesterday and no one even knew there was a wifi version.

me: "do you know when the wifi version is coming out?"

geek squad: "oh that version doesn't have wifi?"

me: "no wifi only version"

geek squad: (leaves for 5 mins and returns) "nothing is scheduled"

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
I stopped in a bestbuy yesterday and no one even knew there was a wifi version.

I had the same experience at a Verizon store this week. I asked the guy if they would soon have the WiFi-only Xoom, and he said, "Well, any Xoom can be a WiFi only."

I explained that there was a new one coming out that was WiFi only and priced at $599. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I used the Xoom display model to bring up a news site showing the details.

Funny!

Thanks,
Matthew

slal

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt that Verizon will sell the WiFi-only Xoom. Its expected that he wouldn't know about it. One of those "know your audience" type things, Matthew.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience at a Verizon store this week. I asked the guy if they would soon have the WiFi-only Xoom, and he said, "Well, any Xoom can be a WiFi only."

I explained that there was a new one coming out that was WiFi only and priced at $599. He didn't know what I was talking about, so I used the Xoom display model to bring up a news site showing the details.

Funny!

Thanks,
Matthew

Why would Verizon have any interest in selling a wifi-only version of the Xoom? how does this benefit them? The Xoom is a Motorola product, not a Verizon product. Verizon's profit model is centered around the business of subscribing people to their wireless network, not selling consumer electronics. Take out the CDMA Modem and you completely remove any association the Xoom has with Verizon and frankly I like it that way.

I'm returning my 3g Xoom to costco and getting a wifi only because I'm tired of finding apps that would work on the Xoom but Verizon is blocking.

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Why would Verizon have any interest in selling a wifi-only version of the Xoom? how does this benefit them? The Xoom is a Motorola product, not a Verizon product. Verizon's profit model is centered around the business of subscribing people to their wireless network, not selling consumer electronics.

Yes, good point. I only stopped in because I have a Verizon store near me, and I had read somewhere that they would be carrying the WiFi-only model.

I'm likely to purchase mine from Amazon!

Thanks,
Matthew

tm3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy had the Xoom Wifi already yesterday

I purchased my Xoom Wifi-only version yesterday at a Best Buy in Southern California at $599. The sales person did not even know they had arrived and checked their inventory screen to learn they had several in stock.

It looks like Staples also has them in-stock.

I can tell you however that I purchased mine at 8:30 last night (Thursday) and it is going back today! I understand this product was the first release and we should expect some initial bugs / problems but I could not describe this product as ready for release. For those of you questioning if this is my first exposure to Android, I am a experienced Android user and currently own the Droid-X and previously the Incredible.

Pro's:
- Vanilla android (no Blur)
- Interface was smooth and fluid between screens
- No lag between screens and while browsing
- Bright, clear screen

Con's:
- Few software programs written for the device based on the Marketplace. No Netflix compatibility. The marketplace initially displays the "most popular" applications for a specific tablet app category which filled 1/2 screen. I searched for a button to view more apps in the category such as Entertainment and THAT WAS IT! There were no more pages / apps unless there was another button that I missed.
- Somewhat heavy when used for reading / browsing and holding in your hand as compared to the Ipad 2. FYI, I am not an Apple fan given their closed approach to their products.
- The power connector to the device is simply a small peg and does not fully connect to the device. In the store the demo version was already bent and I can see that this little peg connector will fail over time.
- The SD card slot I was told is not functional by the sales person. A future software upgrade I was told would correct the problem. I did not even test it given my disappointment with this device
- The device does not come installed with flash. You can obtain it however from the Market.
- No Skype video chat.

I consider myself an early adopter but given the stage of this product, it was pushing the limit for me and it is going back today.

effingpace

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
That is all old news and part of being an early adopter. Its been out for a month already, why would you buy it already knowing these issues if you weren't ready to deal with them?

tm3

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I thought the same effingpace until I got the device in my hands. After one-hour I quickly recognized I was spending $599 on a small format device that would allow me to browse the internet but had the potential for much more. I wasn't willing to wait for the "potential" given how limited the experience was at present for me.

oasis9389

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
good to know bb is selling it.. i'll go to mine tonight.

how can you be so eager to buy the product and not know the issues with it right now? all your complaints have been said 10x over in this forum.

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Hello,
My local Staples has a Xoom display at the head of their center aisle. They have a model to test right there in the store, but the manager said they won't sell it until Sunday. I never understood waiting to sell something, but never mind.

I plan to buy the Xoom from Amazon. But I like trying devices at Staples a bit better than BestBuy because of its slower pace. Maybe it's my age, but something about BestBuy makes feel rushed. Anyway, this is getting away from the subject!

Just a couple of small complaints about the Xoom...

I don't like is how it reverts to widgets view. The concept of having widgets activity is great, but sometimes it actually feels a bit overdone. I found myself constantly pressing the "Apps" link to get back to a more logical navigation. This is, of course, personal preference!

The only other thing (and this has been mentioned before) is having to stop the browser from going into mobile mode for various Web sites.

With that said, I'm planning on getting to know Android soon.

Thanks,
Matthew

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay