Its too heavy... really?

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's just me... but I just don't see the Xoom as being too heavy. Yeah, I lift weights, a good bit, but like... it's just not heavy. How do you owners feel about this? I've messed around with it a lot in store and purposefully held it in very akward positions to get a feel for the weight. Sure, the Ipad 2 is lighter, but I just don't get that complaint. Maybe working out is going better for me than I thought ;p but somehow I doubt that.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I really have no idea why people complain about weight of xoom. You have hands, use them. I swear people are getting so lazy now, soon no man will be able to lift a chair without calling support.

Reactions: Arun01

MatthewSchenker

Mar 20, 2011
www.schenkerstudio.com
Hello,
Funny this subject came up here -- lately, I've been thinking about this a lot!

We've been on a weird cycle socially, where our expectations are ever rising to the point where we've stopped recognizing how amazing modern technology really is. What we call "heavy" is nothing at all really.

In a similar way, what we call "slow" is also becoming odd. If a device pauses for even a brief fraction of a second in comparison to another one, people jump in and say it's a problem. Seriously, how much shorter can our patience get?

The list goes on. I wonder if at some point our expectations will be so high we will all be displeased all the time.

OK, I'm kind of kidding, but you see what I mean.

Thanks,
Matthew

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Its not about the weight in terms of carrying it but in terms of using it. Thats why people like 7 inch tablets. Also in other enviorments such as bussiness the lighter the better.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Its not about the weight in terms of carrying it but in terms of using it. Thats why people like 7 inch tablets. Also in other enviorments such as bussiness the lighter the better.

This is probably true for many. While I can easily hold my Xoom in my left hand, with my fingers and thumb wrapped around the sides in portrait mode, my wife cannot. Her hands are simply too small. Thus, she is considering a 7" model - hoping that there will soon be one supporting Honeycomb.

But, even for her, the weigh is not an issue, it's a matter of tablet size vs hand size. I believe there to be a great opportunity for manufactures to make cases which would have a handle (perhaps removable) which would allow for the 10" tablets (or even iPads, which are even harder to hold in one hand due to their added width) to be easily held with one hand, even in landscape mode.

The "weight" issue is likely little more than the drones having been told by Mr. Jobs that the lighter weight of the iPad should be a key issue, and incorporating it into their thinking (never the wiser that they've been "jobbed"). The bigger issue is the ability to "grip" a device with one hand. For those of us with larger hands, the Xoom beats out the iPad in that regard.

Reactions: stopsign002

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hello,
Funny this subject came up here -- lately, I've been thinking about this a lot!

We've been on a weird cycle socially, where our expectations are ever rising to the point where we've stopped recognizing how amazing modern technology really is. What we call "heavy" is nothing at all really.

In a similar way, what we call "slow" is also becoming odd. If a device pauses for even a brief fraction of a second in comparison to another one, people jump in and say it's a problem. Seriously, how much shorter can our patience get?

The list goes on. I wonder if at some point our expectations will be so high we will all be displeased all the time.

OK, I'm kind of kidding, but you see what I mean.

Thanks,
Matthew

Definitely agree with you here. I guess the people who are saying these things are heavy are the kind of people who have forgotten there was a time when we were "real" animals and had to hunt with spears and such. It just seems rediculus to me. I feel like I could hold the thing for hours without a problem (yet again I lift a lot, so I understand I might be in a minority here). It just seems rediculus

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's heavy. Try holding it for more than 5 minutes straight. In any position. No help from your lap or anything. Maybe just me. But it's heavy.

stopsign002

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've found that (only from playing with them in stores a lot) I enjoy using it with a sort of wrap around grip. I have the Xoom, at least when in portrait mode, sort of resting on my forearm and then reach around and hold it from the other side. Just feels natural. Ill try to find/draw a picture to explain it better if theres confusion on that

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It's heavy. Try holding it for more than 5 minutes straight. In any position. No help from your lap or anything. Maybe just me. But it's heavy.

I used to hold my laptop for more than 5 minutes.

Using the stock Motorola case, I lay the "lid of the case across my left forearm, and grip the lower right-hand corner of the Xoom. I could hold this for a considerable time. I used to use this approach to holding a much heavier laptop, and I could do that for 5+ minutes easily.

Perhaps a picture would help:

2011-03-24_09-29-32_532.jpg

And, of course, out of the case, it can be easily gripped. Again, I could do this for a considerable time:

2011-03-24_09-30-03_323.jpg

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I currently have the Ipad2 and the xoom and the xoom is noticeably heavier. Also the thin bezel looks good, but makes it harder for me to hold. Less about the weight is these 10" tablets are there big size makes them hard to hold. I usually prop them (both ipad and xoom) to use them.

I miss my 7" galaxy tab.... I wonder how the 8.9" tablet would feel

suave85

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I really have no idea why people complain about weight of xoom. You have hands, use them. I swear people are getting so lazy now, soon no man will be able to lift a chair without calling support.

Lol! Agreed. I feel like the way we are going everyone will look like the people in Wall-e. How can something that weighs less than two pounds be heavy????

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not heavy to me, but I can see where holding a ten inch tab regardless of the maker could get uncomfortable for some people. I find holding the Xoom easier then the Ipad. The seven inch Tab was to small IMOP and didn't care for the smaller screen size. Plenty of options out there for the consumer to choose from.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Choice is never a bad thing for the consumer. I'm not concerned with the weight but I can still see how others are concerned with it. I mainly use it two handed and it really does feel really good in the hand using it. Thumb keyboard is one of the best innovations I have ever seen. I do think my next tablet will be a 8.9 device though. That does seem to be the sweet spot just as I think 4.0 inch smartphones are. Its crazy to think how far technology is coming though. I mean honestly, after a while how can manufactures differentiate as there are only so many ways to build a tablet and can only get so light. What apple and Samsung have done in such a short amount of time is amazing.

Sent from my Xoom

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I used to hold my laptop for more than 5 minutes.

Using the stock Motorola case, I lay the "lid of the case across my left forearm, and grip the lower right-hand corner of the Xoom. I could hold this for a considerable time. I used to use this approach to holding a much heavier laptop, and I could do that for 5+ minutes easily.

Perhaps a picture would help:

2011-03-24_09-29-32_532.jpg

And, of course, out of the case, it can be easily gripped. Again, I could do this for a considerable time:

2011-03-24_09-30-03_323.jpg

Yeah I have that case too. It's not heavy in the case on my lap . It is heavy holding it in the air for moderate amounts of time, case or not.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
It just feels solid. Like my old Droid and now Droid X. I don't worry when I toss them on the bed or couch. If it was lighter and plastic I would baby it to much.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon