Are you returning your 3G/4G Xoom for Wi-fi?

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have 3G/4G Xoom that I really like. I very rarely use the 3G and I have a 1GB plan. I bought at Costco and am considering returning it and using the difference towards a thunderbolt. Anyone else considering returning there units and getting a wifi instead?

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I bought the Xoom to be MOBILE. Yes, I could tether or look for wifi when on the road but it's sooooo much easier letting it connect 3G when it has to.

Unlike your use I find I use 3G almost daily - but I don't use much data; the 1g plan still seems to be very adequate for my 3G needs :).

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I am using mine teathered phone wifi whatever I can find. I am not going to return it when I get the 4g upgrade I will probably downgrade my phone to a feature phone with no data and go 4g xooming.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am using mine teathered phone wifi whatever I can find. I am not going to return it when I get the 4g upgrade I will probably downgrade my phone to a feature phone with no data and go 4g xooming.

I am thinking about doing the same thing, assuming I can keep my hands off the Bionic.

But then I couldn't tether to wifi.... decisions, decisions, decisions....

Last edited:

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I had planned because bluetooth tether was so slick on my Droid X, but it doesn't work on the Thunderbolt.

I will probably just keep mine.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Funny!

Matthew

We have to consider the fact that he might have been asking a serious question.

This is a Xoom forum so I think most of us will say yes, however if you asked that question on an Ipad2 message board they would say that the Ipad2 is the better device.

Basically it comes down to user preference, how you are gonna use it and where.

Last edited:

strauss884

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My reason for considering switching is that if I'm going to have a "data contract" I can use the hotspot feature on the thunderbolt and pay the same price and I can use the 4G from that, plus I'd have a new phone. The Xoom won't be any less flexible in theory. Does anybody see a reason this won't work?

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
My reason for considering switching is that if I'm going to have a "data contract" I can use the hotspot feature on the thunderbolt and pay the same price and I can use the 4G from that, plus I'd have a new phone. The Xoom won't be any less flexible in theory. Does anybody see a reason this won't work?

Should work fine as long as the hotspot doesn't suck your phone battery ...... I generally find the hotspot/ tether should be provided by whatever has the largest battery :).

For me a place to plug in and charge can be harder to find than wifi ...... :(

sparhawke2000

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to return mine. I find that I use 3g on occasion, and although I will use wifi most of the time it's nice to have the flexibility.

TPadden

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
nope. but I'm waiting for it to be upgraded to 4g before I get into contract.

Either you can't return what you don't have ..... or I don't understand your post. :confused:

If you own a non-contract 3g and get into contract they won't refund you the $200 difference; if you own a wifi only it is unknown but probably not likely they will upgrade it .....

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Either you can't return what you don't have ..... or I don't understand your post. :confused:

If you own a non-contract 3g and get into contract they won't refund you the $200 difference; if you own a wifi only it is unknown but probably not likely they will upgrade it .....

I agree what he said. If you are not on contract now with 3G, why go on contract with 4G. There is no additional incentive.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't think many ppl would do that, the portability difference is so vast, unless you only want to be connect at limited places.

varsityhacker

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I would return mine if I could, I have no plans on using it on Verizons network. Oh well I like the device so I am not mad that I bought early. Just wish I had bought mine through Costco. It is nice that if I ever want to put it on 4g I can, so I got that going for me lol.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

sorry meant to say a month-to-month data plan.

And the real incentive is speed. We al saw what LTE is capable of.

Reactions: TPadden

lobobuzz

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Keeping mine. I want the 3G/4G capability even though I do not currently have a plan and only using Wifi. I wanted the 3G/4G capability as to not box myself out in the future, if you will.

anon(42011)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Keeping mine. I want the 3G/4G capability even though I do not currently have a plan and only using Wifi. I wanted the 3G/4G capability as to not box myself out in the future, if you will.

Agreed. I'm waiting for 4g as well. Nice knowing I have the option to use it if I want/need it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech