Work around to install apps that Verizon blocks

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

I have a rooted captivate and an unrooted Xoom and I've been noticing some apps that I can install on my captivate but are blocked by Verizon when I try to install them on my Xoom.

This may be widely known but I found that using Titanium back up on my captivate, I can unzip the backed up copies of my apps and copy them over to the Xoom and install them by clicking on them from File Station.

Just did this with Napster for Android. App works great, although there are some screw ups with the screen formating. nothing that takes away from the functionality though.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Hard to tell whether it's blocked by Verizon or Android Market or by the developer who wants "official" tablet support

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I have a rooted captivate and an unrooted Xoom and I've been noticing some apps that I can install on my captivate but are blocked by Verizon when I try to install them on my Xoom.

This may be widely known but I found that using Titanium back up on my captivate, I can unzip the backed up copies of my apps and copy them over to the Xoom and install them by clicking on them from File Station.

Just did this with Napster for Android. App works great, although there are some screw ups with the screen formating. nothing that takes away from the functionality though.

Verizon is most likely not blocking them. Developers can choose what OS versions their app is compatible for (or a range) so that they do not show up on incompatible devices. A lot of developers have their app compatibility only go up to 2.3.3 since they are not optimized for 3.0 yet. They do this so that users can't download their apps that aren't technically ready and then give bad reviews that are unjustified. If you want to use apps that aren't showing up in the Xoom's market, you'll need to continue using the method you mentioned.

DrWu

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is most likely not blocking them. Developers can choose what OS versions their app is compatible for (or a range) so that they do not show up on incompatible devices. A lot of developers have their app compatibility only go up to 2.3.3 since they are not optimized for 3.0 yet. They do this so that users can't download their apps that aren't technically ready and then give bad reviews that are unjustified. If you want to use apps that aren't showing up in the Xoom's market, you'll need to continue using the method you mentioned.

Nope. Verizon blocks apps. Look up Bejeweled 2 on the web market, you'll see 2 versions. a .99 cent version and a $2.99 version. Verizon blocks the .99 cent version on ALL of their devices, not just the xoom. If you want Bejeweled 2 and you're on verizon, you have to pay 200% more than everyone else. there are other apps like this but this is the most blaring example.

cvmaas#AC

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Verizon blocks apps. Look up Bejeweled 2 on the web market, you'll see 2 versions. a .99 cent version and a $2.99 version. Verizon blocks the .99 cent version on ALL of their devices, not just the xoom. If you want Bejeweled 2 and you're on verizon, you have to pay 200% more than everyone else. there are other apps like this but this is the most blaring example.

Actually that pricing is EA's doing, not Verizon's. There was a write-up about it on AndroidPolice a couple months ago.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site

I'm not doubting that Verizon blocks certain apps. All carriers do. I'm just saying that the more common reasoning for the Xoom is what I stated previously, not carrier blocking. There are many developers that have their app listed twice (or more) for whatever reason. Sometimes it is for different TOC's depending on geographic reason, sometimes it is for compatibility issues, etc.

Most people know that you can "trick" the market on any Android phone by turning on airplane mode and then activating WiFi, and then restarting your device. You'll then see the "carrier blocked" apps. But in the case of Bejeweled, it is not carrier blocked from what I can tell. Heck, the web market doesn't show either version as compatible with the Xoom that is attached to my account. And only the $0.99 version is listed as compatible with my Nexus One.

I know its easy to blame the carriers for stuff like this. But I don't believe that is the case with most of the apps that are not showing in Market for Xoom owners.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually that pricing is EA's doing, not Verizon's. There was a write-up about it on AndroidPolice a couple months ago.

Hahaha, because Verizon is so damn expensive, they assume the customers can afford a bit extra? Rofl, that's hilarious!

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If Verizon was going to block apps, would they not block navigaton, sound hound, and others that compete with apps that are offered by Verizon? I mean obviously they pack in their own crapware and make it tough to get rid of. But if they are going to block access wouldn't they do it to the ones that take money out of their pockets?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac