Motorola WIFI Xoom - Initial Impression

codered18

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Revised 03/26/2011 - Made some update and post it on my blog - http://mobiletech.knguyentu.com/2011/03/motorola-xoom-wifi-version-initial.html

Revised 03/27/2011 - Using Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate) record demo of Motorola Xoom playback of Apple's iPad format of M4V (converted using handbrake - see link above to handbrake xoom profile)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8KuypTZVVw

Just picked up the Motorola Xoom @ Staples. There was no issue or question on purchasing it.

To Set Foundation:
I have had several android phones like the Motorola Droid, Droid X, and Samsung Galaxy S. So I am familiar with the Android OS. At the same time, I've had the Apple iPad 32GB generation 1 since it was first launched. So I am familiar with that too.

Initial Impressions:

Weight - Having own the first gen iPad and now having the Xoom, the weight from usage is very comparable. You can't really tell the weight differences, unless you have both of them in your hand and really focus on trying to feel the weight out. It is very comfortable holding to the hand.

Display - Of all of the demo I've seen on the 3G version at Costco and pictures / youtube, I have to say those do not do justice to the screen. I believe that be attribute to the auto brightness screen adjustment functionality. After disable that and adjust brightness to high, the picture actually looks pretty decent. Being a hobbyist photographer, I look at several images I had taken from Flower Field out near Oceanside, California. The color looks very vibrant and crisp. Again, unless you have the iPad next to you to comparison and purposely want to look for that detail, the Xoom display is actually pretty good.

OS - It comes with Android 3.01 build HWI69

Other Stuff - It seems to have come with GPS. In the setting there is a check box asking if you want to use GPS to find your location. Bring up google map, it found me within less than 60 meters. There is a microSD slot and it is located in the exact location where the 3G version has it. Hidden under the LTE sim slot. The standard Motorola Case for the xoom that you can purchase for 29.99 is a huge disappointment. The one Apple design for the iPad was way better. This one looks and feel like cheap material that doesn't seem to fit the tablet well. When trying to close it, it doesn't close properly. The dumb design is the lack of having a hole for the power plug. The power plug is another disappointment. You have buy new car charger and power plug because it uses a different plug. Looks like a small pin. Why can't they keep to standard like Apple.

I like where the power button is situated behind the pad, leaving the front very clean. It is a finger print magnet, so I can't wait to put invisible shield on it.

Software - The email software is just like gmail. Very simple and easy to use. The OS on the other hand, still a bit clunky. It could use some optimization. With Apple iPad, you can use it for weeks w/o having to restart because it automatically ends application (lack of multi-task). Due to this allowing multi-task, there is no way to end the task w/o having to kill it in the setting. You can simply press the back button to have the task end and release it back the memory. The touch screen is very responsive. No issue there. I like the revised picture gallery, it uses the x/y axis ability as you move around the gallery sort of do this 3D effect. It comes standard with a few MP3 music in there, one from Carrie Underwood and others. The Calendar is a nice improvement over android phone version.

Screen font is not as crisp as ipad. You can and will notice a bit fuzz. I am not sure if that is because of the screen design or the font style. But we'll see as time goes on and using custom ROM to replace the font if that improves anything.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Xoom. It is not perfect and nothing really is, but the Honeycomb OS and on this very study Xoom has a lot of potential.

For those who are on the fence and ask in numerous thread Why Xoom? To me, it is a great toy to play with and does all the stuff iPad can do for the stuff I use it for daily. Surf the internet, read magazine, check email, etc., So if that is your purpose of the tablet, I highly recommend look at the next piece of it, which is cosmetics and aesthetics. Which one feels right to you in your hand. Are you able to navigate it easily.

For me, Xoom has more potential and allow me to start doing more than I did with iPad. It might open me up to other things, such as maybe trying to integrate it with my Nikon camera or maybe VPN to my home network and do remote desktop or tweak the hell out of it when I am bored with custom rom and themes.

Last edited:

robm15

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Very good review, thank you!

I am one of those that are on the fence. Should I get the Xoom, or the iPad 2, or wait for the Samsung 10.1, or Toshiba tablet...

If you don't mind, I do have a few questions.

Battery life. With the brightness on full, and this being a WiFi model with one less radio, how has the battery life been for you?

How visible is the screen in outdoor conditions? Sunny and shade.

I travel frequently, and intend for this to be my primary entertainment device on the airplane and at airports. You said the weight wasn't bad. But for you, how long do you find yourself using it before you don't want to hold it any more? If you had 6 hours on a airplane watching movies, reading, and playing games, do you think the weight would fatigue you to the point of not enjoying it any more?

Thank you for your unbiased review!

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I just heard about the Samsung 10.1 today and am now back on the fence. I was so set on buying a Xoom as soon as I got back in the states. I will probably get the Xoom regardless because I am impatient and then I can decide if a few extra mm of thickness is worth it. Actually, the screen quality is what I worry about most.

Above all the flaws I see in the iPad, their screen is amazing.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
If you can hold an ipad you can hold a zoom.
note I have ipads and ipad two's.

If you can charge your device at night just like you do with cell phones etc... then battery will not be a problem. Reviews of battery rundown show the zoom to be similar to the ipad at one to one and a half hours less.

Both ipads and xooms will exhibit a bunch of glare in sunlight. The ipad will overheat if used in direct sunlight.. I have not used the xoom yet in direct sunlight. I used the ipad quite a bit at the beach last year and works fine on high brightness under beach umbrella. Not sure how xoom will work since the screen is not as bright.

I liked the OEM case from the get go and now love it. All three of my xooms wear it exclusively.

Very good review, thank you!

I am one of those that are on the fence. Should I get the Xoom, or the iPad 2, or wait for the Samsung 10.1, or Toshiba tablet...

If you don't mind, I do have a few questions.

Battery life. With the brightness on full, and this being a WiFi model with one less radio, how has the battery life been for you?

How visible is the screen in outdoor conditions? Sunny and shade.

I travel frequently, and intend for this to be my primary entertainment device on the airplane and at airports. You said the weight wasn't bad. But for you, how long do you find yourself using it before you don't want to hold it any more? If you had 6 hours on a airplane watching movies, reading, and playing games, do you think the weight would fatigue you to the point of not enjoying it any more?

Thank you for your unbiased review!

Last edited:

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing to consider with the Xoom over the samsung is the fact samsung will put touchwiz on it. The Xoom is basically what the G1 is to Google, we will see updates as they come out, open and easy ability to root. Motorola even gives instruction on how to restore to factoy settings. These facts alone have my vote for the Xoom vs any other. The potential with this over the next 3 to 6 months is going to be crazy. As they optimize and tweak the Xoom for performance and add apps its going to be a great time being a Xoom owner. If you want boring and safe, buy an I pad, if you want to see a tablet grow into a full blown, non restricted computing device the Xoom IMO is it.

I say this after owning the I pad since its 2010 release and having tested out the 2 for the past week. I simply can't let the list of features the Xoom does that the I pad doesn't go. I simply am now spoiled by some very useful things that Honeycomb opened my eyes to. Love it!

Reactions: nory826

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
One thing to consider with the Xoom over the samsung is the fact samsung will put touchwiz on it. The Xoom is basically what the G1 is to Google, we will see updates as they come out, open and easy ability to root. Motorola even gives instruction on how to restore to factoy settings. These facts alone have my vote for the Xoom vs any other. The potential with this over the next 3 to 6 months is going to be crazy. As they optimize and tweak the Xoom for performance and add apps its going to be a great time being a Xoom owner. If you want boring and safe, buy an I pad, if you want to see a tablet grow into a full blown, non restricted computing device the Xoom IMO is it.

I say this after owning the I pad since its 2010 release and having tested out the 2 for the past week. I simply can't let the list of features the Xoom does that the I pad doesn't go. I simply am now spoiled by some very useful things that Honeycomb opened my eyes to. Love it!

What are the settings to return to factory?

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Got that - have one of my xooms rooted - went back to get the OTA then back rooted. I thought he was talking about some stmt from Moto saying "We Love Hackers" - Please use this guide to x.....

Sorry poor choice of words I should of said motorola doesn't lock everything down as other manufactures have and will. I just feel the Xoom will be the best tablet for a long time just like the g 1 continues to get all the updates and very user friendly for those of us who want to root to get the most of our tablet.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry poor choice of words I should of said motorola doesn't lock everything down as other manufactures have and will. I just feel the Xoom will be the best tablet for a long time just like the g 1 continues to get all the updates and very user friendly for those of us who want to root to get the most of our tablet.

Yep - I agree and that's why I have so many xoom's :-0 Until there is a JB for 3.4 my Ipad 2 just sits gathering dust --- Can't use it after living with SB Settings, Winter etc... When you are not able to customize your device IMO it's not a device I want to use.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. That was a very good review and pretty accurate IMO. I have a Xoom and a I pad 2 and, there are things I like about both devices.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

Hey bossxii

What opened your eyes? Specifically what were you refering to? Programs and or operation...

thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon