When will we see fix for mobile broswer issue?

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What started out as a minor annoyance has now morphed into a major problem. Having to go through the about:debug process every time the browser closes is a major annoyance. Especially since the stock browser crashes on a fairly frequent basis. Even with about:debug bookmarked, it is still an eight touch process.

I don't know how they could have released the xoom without fixing this, much less not patched it on the latest update. Do we have any idea when a fix is going to be implimented?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
May never change. Remember its a mobile device and will have a mobile browser. The about debug can be done on a phone to so it will have a full browser. I'd like a permanent option to keep it a full browser on the xoom. Just not sure if that's what they plan on doing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
?! ... have you yet found a site that doesn't have a "Full Version" link? Once you do that 90% of the time they set a cookie so you don't have to do that any longer.

Far less annoying than having to set your UserAgent a couple of times a day.

Reactions: bworley50

jcstarr

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have had very few problems with mobile sites popping up. I've only had to do the about:debug once. As far as the browser crashing, I've only had it happen once... *knocks on wood*

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
What started out as a minor annoyance has now morphed into a major problem. Having to go through the about:debug process every time the browser closes is a major annoyance. Especially since the stock browser crashes on a fairly frequent basis. Even with about:debug bookmarked, it is still an eight touch process.

I don't know how they could have released the xoom without fixing this, much less not patched it on the latest update. Do we have any idea when a fix is going to be implimented?

Have you tried Dolphin HD? You can set your user agent during install and it stays like that.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site

why are you having to change this sovoften. I browse for hours without issues. i use stock and ipad uastring. And It isn't a bug. Please refrain from using that terminalogy when addressing this issue which is lack of user knowledge. The zoom requires different dimensions from other browsers/devices. Because of this websites aren't optimized to recogognize the difference android mobile and android tablet. Hence why all websites come up as mobile. Until web developers start designing their CSS to adjust to the different platforms, like they did with iPhone and Ipad you are going to experience this. Your best bet is to set it to Ipad for now. Flash will load where html5 doesn't.

Drew2u

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
?! ... have you yet found a site that doesn't have a "Full Version" link? Once you do that 90% of the time they set a cookie so you don't have to do that any longer.

mobile.Newsday.com ... no link to the full site.

mobile.engadget.com ... has a link to desktop mode, but... if you were referred to a specific article at mobile.engadget.com, from Twitter for example, when you click the "desktop" link it takes you to the engadget home page - not the current article you are browsing.

That being said, I've decided I'd rather have the browser default to mobile mode simply because if I'm using 3G, it conserves bandwidth, loads faster and takes up less of my limited monthly data quota.

However, what I do want is the ability to quickly switch one tab (or window) to desktop mode while keeping everything else in mobile, plus the ability to set a desktop or mobile mode with the bookmark. This would let me choose
which sites to open in mobile mode and which in desktop mode.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe that this problem exists because website developers don't distinguish between the Android user string and the Android Mobile user string. The easy solution to this problem would be for the website developers to modify their code to make this distinction and default Android to the desktop version of the site. This is what is done to distinguish ipad from iphone.

The other option would be to have the browser simply report itself as a desktop browser. The problem with this approach is that it reduces the incentive of website developers from developing code that can take advantage of functionality that might be in desktop Android browsers. I suggest that Honeycomb users send the website and persuasive email complaining that their site does not properly recognize the Android browser for Honeycomb. Or, at the very least, that they provide some mechanism to permanently recognize that you want to use the desktop version of their site when you visit there.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
And It isn't a bug. Please refrain from using that terminalogy when addressing this issue which is lack of user knowledge. The zoom requires different dimensions from other browsers/devices. Because of this websites aren't optimized to recogognize the difference android mobile and android tablet. Hence why all websites come up as mobile. Until web developers start designing their CSS to adjust to the different platforms, like they did with iPhone and Ipad you are going to experience this. Your best bet is to set it to Ipad for now. Flash will load where html5 doesn't.

First off, this "wait for developers" excuse is ridiculous. It's the same thing I pad users say to defend against their device not having flash. I wanrt a device that will let me view the web as it is now, not in the device maker's ideal view of how it should be.

Secondly, this is a bug. If you change the setting to desktop mode through about:debug and restart the browser, mobile sites show up even though the desktop setting is still checked in the about:debug menu. You have to unselect it and then reselect it to turn desktop mode back on. Pretty sure that is not how it is intended to work.

Honestly I cannot understand how people are defending this. It is a pain in the a** that is easily fixed (just have a menu setting where you can permanently switch to desktop mode) . I shouldn't have to switch to a different browser or wait for developers to catch up or search for a link to the desktop version of a webpage. I paid for this device, I shouldn't have to compromise on something this stupid.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
First off, this "wait for developers" excuse is ridiculous. It's the same thing I pad users say to defend against their device not having flash. I wanrt a device that will let me view the web as it is now, not in the device maker's ideal view of how it should be.

Secondly, this is a bug. If you change the setting to desktop mode through about:debug and restart the browser, mobile sites show up even though the desktop setting is still checked in the about:debug menu. You have to unselect it and then reselect it to turn desktop mode back on. Pretty sure that is not how it is intended to work.

Honestly I cannot understand how people are defending this. It is a pain in the a** that is easily fixed (just have a menu setting where you can permanently switch to desktop mode) . I shouldn't have to switch to a different browser or wait for developers to catch up or search for a link to the desktop version of a webpage. I paid for this device, I shouldn't have to compromise on something this stupid.

Actually I do want the developers to fix it. I Google modifies the standard them the hope of having websites that take advantage of honeycomb's unique atributes goes out the window. I believe that android should be entitled to the same distinctions that the opacity and the iPhone are entitled to. Why do you feel differently?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
my 9inch net book and my 17inch aliemware laptop have no issues with screen size.maybe if Google didn't make the browser a mobile version and ran full Chrome11 on it we wouldn't have this issue. I was hoping that honeycomb would be more pc like then phone like but I guess they still like there phone OS
why are you having to change this sovoften. I browse for hours without issues. i use stock and ipad uastring. And It isn't a bug. Please refrain from using that terminalogy when addressing this issue which is lack of user knowledge. The zoom requires different dimensions from other browsers/devices. Because of this websites aren't optimized to recogognize the difference android mobile and android tablet. Hence why all websites come up as mobile. Until web developers start designing their CSS to adjust to the different platforms, like they did with iPhone and Ipad you are going to experience this. Your best bet is to set it to Ipad for now. Flash will load where html5 doesn't.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
there are thousands, millions, billions of websight on this planet you can not expect them to cater to or redesign there sight for a phone or tablet viewing.
Actually I do want the developers to fix it. I Google modifies the standard them the hope of having websites that take advantage of honeycomb's unique atributes goes out the window. I believe that android should be entitled to the same distinctions that the opacity and the iPhone are entitled to. Why do you feel differently?

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Because all I care about is being able to view webpages in full now. Regular web pages look fine for me on the xoom. We are already having to wait to get many features on the zoom, and why wait for this? The android tablet market is in its infancy. we will be waiting a long time for developers to institute a unique honeycomb design.

Why do you feel you need to have a special design for android? Again there is a very easy fix for this. Just get it done.

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I care about the standard being supported. If these thousands and thousands of developers are capable of recognizing the distinction between the iPhone and the ipad it is not unreasonable to expect them to make the same distinction between android and android mobile. The pressure should be put on the developer where it belongs.

Why should Android users get less than adequate support from developers? You think that Apple users just sit back and complain to Apple about this problem? I am sure they demanded that websites correct their deficiency. And guess what it worked.

Last edited:

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I care about the standard being supported. If these thousands and thousands of developers are capable of recognizing the distinction between the iPhone and the ipad it is not unreasonable to expect them to make the same distinction between android and android mobile. The pressure should be put on the developer where it belongs.

Why should Android users get less than adequate support from developers? You think that Apple users just sit back and complain to Apple about this problem? I am sure they demanded that websites correct their deficiency. And guess what it worked.

Yes, we could start the always effective email campaign asking tens of thousands of web developers to make unique versions of their pages for a device that makes up about 1 percent of the market. We would also have to lobby the companies who pay for the pages to be made so they would fund the work of the web developers.

OR Google could spend an hour adding a menu setting and solve the issue entirely.

What sounds more practical to you?

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Whatever happened the ipad seemed to have worked. I suspect it will work on the honeycomb side as well. Changing that piece of code from Google's eliminates the incentive to fix the real error.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Actually i thinmk it is either gizmodo or boygeniusreport that doesnt have that button. and it really is annoying. the need to fix this asap. if my evo can do full web browser then my xoom should as well

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Whatever happened the ipad seemed to have worked. I suspect it will work on the honeycomb side as well. Changing that piece of code from Google's eliminates the incentive to fix the real error.

Correction: changing that piece of code will solve the problem entirely.

We will just have to agree to disagree. But for the life of me I cannot understand your position. Google could solve this on its own in probably less time than it's taken us to write these posts. But instead you want literally the entire internet to change to accommodate the xoom. Just baffling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2