It looks like I might be taking my Zoom back for replacement tomorrow due to a bad USB port. I am trying to figure out what I need to backup and how.

I have seen threads hear about the Android market remembering what apps you have downloaded and allowing you to put them on multiple devices. If this is true, then I should not need to backup any of my apps. The problem is I have not witnessed this. I have a gtablet that has android market access, but when I try to load any of my paid apps it wants me to buy another copy.

Also, since I can't connect to a PC with USB the only way I can backup is using ES File Explorer linked through wifi, just a little awkward.

Any suggestions on what to back up, Where to find it on the d
    zoom and how to backup?
    03-26-2011 10:47 PM
    I believe that honeycomb offers a full backup on Google's cloud service.
    03-26-2011 11:05 PM
    How dp i accomplish that? Simply by logging into my Google account?
    03-26-2011 11:13 PM
    Not sure if you are rooted or not but titanium backup is the preferred method. If not mybackup pro will be your best friend. Even allows you to backup to the cloud seeing as you can't connect to your computer to put the backup on there.

Sent from my Xoom
    03-26-2011 11:14 PM
    How dp i accomplish that? Simply by logging into my Google account?
    In the setup under privacy make sure it is checked and then make sure it has synced recently.
    03-26-2011 11:17 PM
    thanks, no I am not rooted. Since I cant connect to my PC via USB i can't access via root.
    what is the easiest way to delete all of the data and get back to factory settings?
    TPadden likes this.
    03-26-2011 11:34 PM
    Settings, privacy, factory reset
    03-26-2011 11:40 PM
    The Google sync to the cloud will backup your installed apps, but for many of those apps the associated data may not be backed up, so for sure look at a solution like Titanium Backup.

Many apps have their own backup or export options, so you should check for it and then save the data to the SDcard, and then plug the Xoom into your PC to copy the files out. Then after you get your new Xoom you can restore your apps and for apps that support it, import or restore the data you saved.
    03-26-2011 11:54 PM
    ..,then save the data to the SDcard, and then plug the Xoom into your PC to copy the files out. Then after you get your new Xoom you can restore your apps and for apps that support it, import or restore the data you saved.
    HUH? What SDcard? And the OP said there's no use of the USB cord...
    03-27-2011 01:42 AM
    Yeah, this is tricky. You'll have to create back up files with Astro or something, then upload to a Dropbox account or email them to yourself.

I am probably going to exchange my 3G XOOM for a WiFi only model, but I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up my screens and apps again. Not to hijack the thread, but is there something that I can do to create a complete backup image? WiFi passwords, paired bluetooth devices, widgets, email accounts, etc...

Thanks in advance.
    03-27-2011 08:25 AM
    HUH? What SDcard? And the OP said there's no use of the USB cord...
    For some reason I glossed over broken USB port, but there's another option. One thing the OP can try is to use a program like Astro (Android file explorer) to set up a wireless connection to a PC. Use Astro to then copy files from the Xoom to the PC...

As to the SDcard ... have you never looked at your Xoom's file system using a file explorer?

There's a folder named SDcard on the Xoom. It's where many apps write user-data, so that's why it was created on the Xoom - for compatibility.
    03-27-2011 10:23 AM
    That's just a simulated directory though, there is obviously no sd card.

I wonder why that isn't supported yet? I have a 32gb micro sd here waiting for the update.
    03-27-2011 12:50 PM
    There are several apps that will let you wirelessly transfer files between your xoom and your PC. Both Bluetooth and wifi are available. I use websharing file/sync paid version (its less than $3) and I'm very happy with it, but a market search should yield several options.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    03-27-2011 01:03 PM
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Actually, I was able to use ES File Explorer, turn on view hidden files, do a select all and copy everything via wifi. It was a bit slow but it worked (even learned a few new things about ESFile Explorer.

I found that ES File Explorer has the ability to create/write directories to my windows file directory that windows can't access. I had two Xoom directories with periods '.' At the end of the directory name. Windows was unable to access the directory or even rename it. Luckily I was able to access the directories wirelessly via ES File Explorer and rename them dropping the period.

In the meantime I was able to resolve the problem with the USB PORT and no longer need the backup except for security.
    varsityhacker likes this.
    03-27-2011 01:38 PM
    Glad you got your files backed up, REHolt218!
    03-27-2011 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD