I have a non-rooted HTC Inspire 4G and a non-rooted Xoom WiFi. I've seen various instructions on how to pair them via bluetooth and via PDANet. They pair OK but then they just say "not connected"

Help....?
    03-28-2011 12:31 PM
    I've tested it on my Droid X which is rooted, all you have to do is install the free tethering app, launch it and it broadcasts a signal. you should be able to connect your xoom to it. works flawlessly
    03-28-2011 12:48 PM
    which "free tethering app" PDANet or something else? I can't get it working with PDANet.

i have it working right now using the built-in "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" that comes with Android. I do not pay for a tethering data plan so I iamgine ATT is going to get pissy and shut me down or bill me for it. I'd like to do it without invoke the native android tethering for those reasons.

Thanks.
    03-28-2011 01:48 PM
    Its called "wireles tether" but will only work of you are rooted..Someone else just posted that you can tether through bluetooth, turn BT on both devices, pair them together, put the xoom in airplane mode and you should still be able to get online, i just tested it and it worked.
    03-28-2011 01:55 PM
    i am guessing u are using a rooted device for bluetooth also i can pair them together but not connect them. am i missing something?
    03-28-2011 02:17 PM
    i am guessing u are using a rooted device for bluetooth also i can pair them together but not connect them. am i missing something?
    My device is no longer rooted since i installed the gingerbread leak today.
    03-28-2011 02:32 PM
    Are you trying to tether the WIF from the XOOM to your phone or the other way around?

If you have a 3G Xoom, you can activate the Tether Hotspot from the Setting control panel. Once you activate it, launch up the WIFI from your phone and it should detect the available WIFI and use it.
    03-28-2011 02:51 PM
    I have a Wifi xoom, and i am trying to share my Inspire 4G's internet connection with it. I can pair the devices but it never gets connected.

I tried the BT way with airplane and all that and it doesnt work for me.
    03-28-2011 03:30 PM
    It may have to do with adhoc vs infrastructure mode since our xooms don't support adhoc.

Bt tethering only works on some phones. It will not work inky TB for example.
    03-28-2011 03:31 PM
    Root and wireless teather. Works great.
    03-28-2011 04:23 PM
    Are the xooms scheduled to get an update to allow adhoc?
    03-28-2011 06:20 PM
    i did it today with my fathers dx and his wifi xoom. i used the bluetooth from the dx to link the xoom and the xoom has a tether option under the bluetooth settings. both are not rooted. hope this helps
    03-28-2011 07:20 PM
    i did it today with my fathers dx and his wifi xoom. i used the bluetooth from the dx to link the xoom and the xoom has a tether option under the bluetooth settings. both are not rooted. hope this helps
    I have no tether option under bluetooth on my wifi xoom. Are you sure thats what you did?
    03-28-2011 09:22 PM
    I have no tether option under bluetooth on my wifi xoom. Are you sure thats what you did?
    +1
    I don't have that option either. Makes me wonder if this is on 3G version...
    03-28-2011 09:35 PM
    i use the hotspot feature on my thunderbolt and it works perfectly.
    03-29-2011 06:02 AM
    The one i did it on was the new wifi only. If you are under the bluetooth settings and you can see the device is paired with whatever phone you paired with, there is a little wrench to the right of that. Click the wrench and at the bottom of that screen there is a tab that says tethering. Under that it will say not tether click on it and it will connect and change to read tethered. And that was it worked great. Hope this helps
    03-29-2011 06:41 AM
    ^That works great on the Droid X or Droid Pro (maybe more Moto devices, I don't know for sure) but I will NOT work on HTC phones.

Why, I don't know. I was bummed when I upgraded my X to a Thunderbolt and lost that option.
    03-29-2011 08:35 AM
    I have a Wifi xoom, and i am trying to share my Inspire 4G's internet connection with it. I can pair the devices but it never gets connected.

I tried the BT way with airplane and all that and it doesnt work for me.
    If you're not rooted, you have to pay AT&T to enable wireless AP on your Phone. Once you have wireless AP activated.. turn off wifi on the inspire, make sure you have a 3g or 4g data connection to at&t, and then go into wifi settings on the inspire and activate AP, once AP is activated, go to your xoom, find the AP and connect. - DONE -
    03-29-2011 09:11 AM
    The one i did it on was the new wifi only. If you are under the bluetooth settings and you can see the device is paired with whatever phone you paired with, there is a little wrench to the right of that. Click the wrench and at the bottom of that screen there is a tab that says tethering. Under that it will say not tether click on it and it will connect and change to read tethered. And that was it worked great. Hope this helps
    When I click the wrench the only option is to unpair. No tether option.
    03-29-2011 09:11 PM
    ^ that's because you don't have one if the phones I mentioned in my last post.
    03-29-2011 09:21 PM
    ^ that's because you don't have one if the phones I mentioned in my last post.
    Wow that sucks. Any idea if it works if I root either the phone or the xoom?
    03-30-2011 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD