Motorola Xoom tablet car installation

Paige

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
very nice job how did you get the audio out from xoom dock? i thought audio jack was on the top of xoom and charger port is on the bottom?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
i didnt know that thank you very much.so usb out for audio how did you convert that for your amps/volume control?

1/8" audio -> RCA -> JL Audio control -> Amp

Volume control:
JL Audio CL-RLC Remote level control and line driver at Crutchfield.com

how did you get power to the dock because it was made for home charging? volts are different

I got the car charger kit. They relocated the 12V car outlet so it sits behind the dash and just plugged it in. The car charger kit uses the same connector as the wall charger so it connects straight to the dock.

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that doe something like this should be mindful of the airbags. If the airbag fires it will turn anything that's not securely bolted down into a projectile. Many passenger side airbags puff out into the middle where you'd likely mount stuff like this.

Interesting point. Never thought about side airbags... I don't even know if I have side bags. I have the legal minimum (for a 2005 car) whatever that is.

Where you able to port the hdmi to other screens in car by maybe using a convertor? You should think about selling these you did a great job.

The standard motorola dock does not have HDMI out & I personally don't have a use for it.

If you wouldn't mind me asking. What was the cost of the audio company fabbing the mount for you? Just want to know a decent price range so if I were to go somewhere to ask them I wouldn't get screwed into paying more than its worth. The install looks sick though!!

Realistically plan to spend $1000 on fabrication. I got about 5 installation estimates and the minimum was around $500.

I chose to just get it done right and picked the shop I felt was best qualified. I wouldn't be suprised if you could find someone on craigslist who would do it for less, but I just think that is too risky and I'd rather not deal with the potential (and likely) frustrations & compromises involved with budget installations.

I need to get photos of the work behind the dash... Its this custom welded metal contraption. When I gave them my car there was just a wide open hole in the dash, everything you see these is fabricated and rock solid. Also it can be reverted back to factory/stock, they didn't modify the car in any way.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Does the Xoom have a GPS? This would be an ideal setup for an in-car navigation and audio with the USB providing power and sound out. Just drop the Xoom in and you have a fully functional car system, and pull it out and its a tablet again (and not left in the car for theft).

I might be looking into a wifi Xoom. Anyone get the wifi Xoom to work on a phone's mobile hotspot?

buurin

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Does the Xoom have a GPS? This would be an ideal setup for an in-car navigation and audio with the USB providing power and sound out. Just drop the Xoom in and you have a fully functional car system, and pull it out and its a tablet again (and not left in the car for theft).

I might be looking into a wifi Xoom. Anyone get the wifi Xoom to work on a phone's mobile hotspot?

Yes it has GPS.

Out of the box it has Google maps which is nice for navigation, however you would need a 3g/4g data plan to get the maps while on the road. Google maps does not have the option to download maps for offline navigation. I hear there are some apps you can purchase which allow offline navigation though.

The nice things about google maps are the voice navigation with turn-by-turn directions. Also I like the fact their points of interest (i.e. businesses, etc...) are always up to date since they come down from the internet.

Also since the device supports voice search you can just speak "Navigate to Starbucks" and it will find the closest starbucks.. Very useful in the car.

skyfox99

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Nice set up. While pricey, it seems you did it right for your application. I am working on a little more universal application that I plan to market and sell. The plan right now is a mount that would attach inside an existing "double-din" harness with an existing single din radio installed in the lower half (making the application much easier since most vehicles have double or 1.5 din harnesses on the market already). Most people will not have a dedicated amp for their audio so this would use existing equipment's (or just a decent aftermarket head unit) aux audio input. This would also allow the bluetooth handsfree that most head units support now a days. I am putting together a business model to see if I can make it profitable selling the design to the general consumer, but I am not sure the demand is quite there, yet. Seeing more and more applications like this shows it's on the rise, though. What do you guys think, would there be a market for something like that?.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Reactions: blueselvedge

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the Ram Mount for my old iPad, which I sold before the iPad2 was announced. I just ordered the Xoom cradle for it. Since the Ram Mount stuff is all modular, I will just remove the iPad cradle and install the Xoom cradle onto the mount. Here's a picture with the iPad installed, just to give you an idea...

DSC_0180s.jpg

I also have the longer arm with the suction cup mount, which is shown here installed in my daughter's VW Beetle...

2010-09-15_01-14-40_729.jpg

2010-09-14_21-50-22_388.jpg

el_bori1

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I have the Ram Mount for my old iPad, which I sold before the iPad2 was announced. I just ordered the Xoom cradle for it. Since the Ram Mount stuff is all modular, I will just remove the iPad cradle and install the Xoom cradle onto the mount. Here's a picture with the iPad installed, just to give you an idea...

DSC_0180s.jpg

I also have the longer arm with the suction cup mount, which is shown here installed in my daughter's VW Beetle...

2010-09-15_01-14-40_729.jpg

2010-09-14_21-50-22_388.jpg

Where can I get this for the XOOM?

Sent from my ThunderBolt