Xoom price drop coming?

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
What does everything think about the possibility of a price drop for the Xoom models in the next few months? There are some interesting new tablets coming out soon. The Xoom is not going to be the only Honeycomb tablet on the block and its looking kinda pricey compared to some of what's coming.

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
Right, but the Xoom is also 4G, and honestly I'm willing to bet it's up to Verizon to drop that price, and they will just counter with saying it's cheaper if you buy a contract. So, again, I highly doubt a price drop is coming anytime soon.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
What does everything think about the possibility of a price drop for the Xoom models in the next few months? There are some interesting new tablets coming out soon. The Xoom is not going to be the only Honeycomb tablet on the block and its looking kinda pricey compared to some of what's coming.

Its only a matter of time. As more time passes it will get sooner.

Right now. This very minute. It is nice to watch people wait for what might be and then watch their dreams get dashed when the device isn't fully capable or never gets updated or has a crappy third party UI, or the bagillion other complaints.

Especially if those devices released with 2.X wont be allowed to get 3.X by Google.

It would be nice to see a price drop. More sold means only good things.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Its only a matter of time. As more time passes it will get sooner.

Right now. This very minute. It is nice to watch people wait for what might be and then watch their dreams get dashed when the device isn't fully capable or never gets updated or has a crappy third party UI, or the bagillion other complaints.

Especially if those devices released with 2.X wont be allowed to get 3.X by Google.

It would be nice to see a price drop. More sold means only good things.

I'm just speculating. Lots of competition coming and the most serious isn't from the iPad.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm just speculating. Lots of competition coming and the most serious isn't from the iPad.

But it isn't really competition. Maybe the HP one with webos.

All the other Android tablets seem too close in specs and OS to qualify as... well you are right its still competition. But only competition with Android.

Rim Playbook? No way for too many reason to list.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The 32gb 3G/4G Xoom is closer to the price of the 64Gb iPad 3G though.

As it should be considering the fact we will be able to have basically unlimited storage once the SD card comes online. LTE, built in HDMI, no paying Apple $39 bucks for a $2 dollar part. The other obvious advantages from OTA updates, dowloading directly from the web, file system, notifications, email attachments, Flash, customization out the wazoo...

That is just what i can think of off the top...

Freedom to do basic tasks is worth the $$$ to me.

The Asus at $400 bucks is a good entry level tablet but no way i am using a device with a 16gig hard drive, no expansion SD slot and no USB ports. If i wanted locked down id go back to an iPad. No flash storage on a tablet device in 2011? What the heck are they thinking... way to sluggish to even bother.

JJsnyder

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I see a price drop in the fall maybe right before holiday season and not before. As the Xoom still looks good against any of new tablets coming out.

barkomatic

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I see a price drop in the fall maybe right before holiday season and not before. As the Xoom still looks good against any of new tablets coming out.

I love the Xoom and when LTE comes built in I may just spring for one. The screen is a problem though. The screen on one that I tested outside under a shade tree (no direct sunlight) was barely visible at 100% brightness. Summer is coming and I want to read books outside under shade. I might want to glimpse at the map in the car from time to time too.

If the price comes down I'll jump on the Xoom but for $870 currently with tax for the 4G version I may have to wait until the kinks are worked out. Big money.

Bossxii

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I love the Xoom and when LTE comes built in I may just spring for one. The screen is a problem though. The screen on one that I tested outside under a shade tree (no direct sunlight) was barely visible at 100% brightness. Summer is coming and I want to read books outside under shade. I might want to glimpse at the map in the car from time to time too.

If the price comes down I'll jump on the Xoom but for $870 currently with tax for the 4G version I may have to wait until the kinks are worked out. Big money.

No current tablet will do well outside. Ipad, Xoom or any of the IPS ones coming out. Ereaders do that job well, the tablets using nore traditinal LCD and IPS tech simply dont do well outside, shaded or not. E-ink is what you want for that.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I used my Ipad all last summer at my beach house and with full brightness and shade umbrella works like a champ. Xoom is quite a bit less bright than the Ipad so I'm not sure how it will perform. I'm also curious to see if it has the overheating issue the Ipad has.

AtomicAge

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The Asus at $400 bucks is a good entry level tablet but no way i am using a device with a 16gig hard drive, no expansion SD slot and no USB ports. If i wanted locked down id go back to an iPad. No flash storage on a tablet device in 2011? What the heck are they thinking... way to sluggish to even bother.

Actually the asus is looking like a pretty good alternative. There's apparently a microSD slot on the tablet itself and a regular SD on the keyboard dock. There's also USB on the keyboard dock (not sure about the tab itself). This site has some shots of the device:
Hands on: Asus Eee Pad Transformer review | News | TechRadar UK

inphoenix

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Is the zoom worth it

Android, the best community. Sent using tapatalk!

Worth is relative. What may be worth it to you may not be worth it to someone else.

I suggest that you read about the issues others are reporting and you can decide if those things matter to you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc