04-21-2011 11:44 AM
30 12
tools
    What does everything think about the possibility of a price drop for the Xoom models in the next few months? There are some interesting new tablets coming out soon. The Xoom is not going to be the only Honeycomb tablet on the block and its looking kinda pricey compared to some of what's coming.
    03-31-2011 04:39 PM
    $600 is right in line with the iPad 32gb.

I don't see it dropping anytime soon.
    03-31-2011 04:42 PM
    The 32gb 3G/4G Xoom is closer to the price of the 64Gb iPad 3G though.
    03-31-2011 04:43 PM
    Right, but the Xoom is also 4G, and honestly I'm willing to bet it's up to Verizon to drop that price, and they will just counter with saying it's cheaper if you buy a contract. So, again, I highly doubt a price drop is coming anytime soon.
    03-31-2011 04:47 PM
    What does everything think about the possibility of a price drop for the Xoom models in the next few months? There are some interesting new tablets coming out soon. The Xoom is not going to be the only Honeycomb tablet on the block and its looking kinda pricey compared to some of what's coming.
    Its only a matter of time. As more time passes it will get sooner.

Right now. This very minute. It is nice to watch people wait for what might be and then watch their dreams get dashed when the device isn't fully capable or never gets updated or has a crappy third party UI, or the bagillion other complaints.

Especially if those devices released with 2.X wont be allowed to get 3.X by Google.

It would be nice to see a price drop. More sold means only good things.
    03-31-2011 04:54 PM
    Its only a matter of time. As more time passes it will get sooner.

Right now. This very minute. It is nice to watch people wait for what might be and then watch their dreams get dashed when the device isn't fully capable or never gets updated or has a crappy third party UI, or the bagillion other complaints.

Especially if those devices released with 2.X wont be allowed to get 3.X by Google.

It would be nice to see a price drop. More sold means only good things.
    I'm just speculating. Lots of competition coming and the most serious isn't from the iPad.
    03-31-2011 05:01 PM
    I speculate a price drop on the original Xoom when the Xoom 2 comes out.
    03-31-2011 05:07 PM
    I'm just speculating. Lots of competition coming and the most serious isn't from the iPad.
    But it isn't really competition. Maybe the HP one with webos.

All the other Android tablets seem too close in specs and OS to qualify as... well you are right its still competition. But only competition with Android.

Rim Playbook? No way for too many reason to list.
    03-31-2011 05:14 PM
    The 32gb 3G/4G Xoom is closer to the price of the 64Gb iPad 3G though.
    As it should be considering the fact we will be able to have basically unlimited storage once the SD card comes online. LTE, built in HDMI, no paying Apple $39 bucks for a $2 dollar part. The other obvious advantages from OTA updates, dowloading directly from the web, file system, notifications, email attachments, Flash, customization out the wazoo...

That is just what i can think of off the top...

Freedom to do basic tasks is worth the $$$ to me.

The Asus at $400 bucks is a good entry level tablet but no way i am using a device with a 16gig hard drive, no expansion SD slot and no USB ports. If i wanted locked down id go back to an iPad. No flash storage on a tablet device in 2011? What the heck are they thinking... way to sluggish to even bother.
    03-31-2011 05:20 PM
    32gb for $500 is nice though. Really nice. And it has an IPS screen.
    03-31-2011 06:03 PM
    I see a price drop in the fall maybe right before holiday season and not before. As the Xoom still looks good against any of new tablets coming out.
    03-31-2011 07:18 PM
    I see a price drop in the fall maybe right before holiday season and not before. As the Xoom still looks good against any of new tablets coming out.
    I love the Xoom and when LTE comes built in I may just spring for one. The screen is a problem though. The screen on one that I tested outside under a shade tree (no direct sunlight) was barely visible at 100% brightness. Summer is coming and I want to read books outside under shade. I might want to glimpse at the map in the car from time to time too.

If the price comes down I'll jump on the Xoom but for $870 currently with tax for the 4G version I may have to wait until the kinks are worked out. Big money.
    03-31-2011 07:53 PM
    32gb for $500 is nice though. Really nice. And it has an IPS screen.
    The IPS screen is there so you have something nice to satare at whike the hard drive spinning at 4200rpm wakes up...
    03-31-2011 09:25 PM
    I love the Xoom and when LTE comes built in I may just spring for one. The screen is a problem though. The screen on one that I tested outside under a shade tree (no direct sunlight) was barely visible at 100% brightness. Summer is coming and I want to read books outside under shade. I might want to glimpse at the map in the car from time to time too.

If the price comes down I'll jump on the Xoom but for $870 currently with tax for the 4G version I may have to wait until the kinks are worked out. Big money.
    No current tablet will do well outside. Ipad, Xoom or any of the IPS ones coming out. Ereaders do that job well, the tablets using nore traditinal LCD and IPS tech simply dont do well outside, shaded or not. E-ink is what you want for that.
    03-31-2011 09:27 PM
    The IPS screen is there so you have something nice to satare at whike the hard drive spinning at 4200rpm wakes up...
    It isnt using flash memory?

frak that then
    03-31-2011 09:54 PM
    I used my Ipad all last summer at my beach house and with full brightness and shade umbrella works like a champ. Xoom is quite a bit less bright than the Ipad so I'm not sure how it will perform. I'm also curious to see if it has the overheating issue the Ipad has.
    03-31-2011 11:03 PM
    The Asus at $400 bucks is a good entry level tablet but no way i am using a device with a 16gig hard drive, no expansion SD slot and no USB ports. If i wanted locked down id go back to an iPad. No flash storage on a tablet device in 2011? What the heck are they thinking... way to sluggish to even bother.
    Actually the asus is looking like a pretty good alternative. There's apparently a microSD slot on the tablet itself and a regular SD on the keyboard dock. There's also USB on the keyboard dock (not sure about the tab itself). This site has some shots of the device:
    Hands on: Asus Eee Pad Transformer review | News | TechRadar UK
    04-01-2011 01:08 AM
    Is the zoom worth it

Android, the best community. Sent using tapatalk!
    04-01-2011 01:08 AM
    Is the zoom worth it

Android, the best community. Sent using tapatalk!
    Worth is relative. What may be worth it to you may not be worth it to someone else.

I suggest that you read about the issues others are reporting and you can decide if those things matter to you.
    04-01-2011 10:20 AM
    It was hard to read in direct sunlight until I got a anti-glare screen protector and now it's fine.
    04-01-2011 12:17 PM
    all the other 32G tablets will be priced at 499$ (100$ cheaper than the XOOM)
    I would just hate to get the XOOM and 2 weeks later learn of the price drop.
    04-19-2011 10:44 PM
    all the other 32G tablets will be priced at 499$ (100$ cheaper than the XOOM)
    I would just hate to get the XOOM and 2 weeks later learn of the price drop.
    Buy from Best Buy. If price drops, then they should price match.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    04-20-2011 12:21 AM
    They need to drop the price my June 1! That way I'm still in my 90 day return window at Costco!
    04-20-2011 09:58 AM
    I am concerned that by the time Google/Motorola provides a software update to activate the SD card slot(and bug fixes), Xoom's start shipping with LTE actually built in(not dealing with the messy upgrade process), and there are an adequate number of useful tablet apps available in the various Android markets, we may start hearing rumors about the next generation Xoom (or whatever its called).

If Motorola learns from its mistakes, we could have a Xoom with a brighter screen, IPS, Tegra 3, 64GB or more of *included* HD capacity, and speakers that face front instead of back. We may even have a better version of flash available.

Unless there is a price drop on the current Xoom, I'm not thinking this one is a buy for *me*. The next generation will be more of a finished product and by then hopefully the quality will be on par with Motorola's Droid series of phones. I can't justify an iPad either, too fisher-price toy for me this year. I had to chuckle when I read it will be sold at Toys R Us. Talk about diluting a brand. lol
    hagerdoc likes this.
    04-20-2011 10:08 AM
    Best Buy gave me $40 off. I went in to check out the xoom and told them I was going to purchase it else where. He asked what I needed for him to get my business. Wifi only xoom $559.99
    04-20-2011 06:46 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD