Are you returning your Xoom for Tansformer?

Is your Xoom going back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
The big plus I see with the Transformer is the IPS screen. The negatives I see are the laggy screen and the use of a proprietary cable interface rather than a micro or mini USB interface.

I'll be interested to read real world experiences after people purchase and start using them.

Read the anandtech review and now I think I will be returning my xoom to costco on Tuesday for the transformer.

zach_alt

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
The big plus I see with the Transformer is the IPS screen. The negatives I see are the laggy screen and the use of a proprietary cable interface rather than a micro or mini USB interface.

I'll be interested to read real world experiences after people purchase and start using them.

laggy screen?

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
laggy screen?

That's what the Anandtech review said. <- Edit: Endgadget.

Edit - I was remembering a different review. Will post the correction in a minute.

Here's a snip from the Endgadget review:

ASUS has worked in its own onscreen keyboard, one that gives you a number row at the top, tweaks button arrangements, and includes single-button input for smiley faces, but that's only an optional extra -- the default Android Honeycomb keyboard is but a couple of taps away. We found the ASUS keyboard most useful when putting in passwords, as we could enter full alphanumeric strings without having to switch between keyboards, though on the whole we found neither option entirely satisfactory. We were never able to feel entirely comfortable or in control with the Transformer's software text input. There's a small delay in responding to your taps -- something that's missing on the iPad, whose virtual keyboard feels an epoch ahead of what we're dealing with here -- which leads to uncertainty as to whether letters have been registered, eventually resulting in an inconsistent and frustrating time for the user.

A lack of responsiveness is also evident throughout the Android UI. Aside from a delay in activating the function you've selected, there are also troubling instances where input isn't registered at all. That leaves the user with no less than three potential scenarios when she doesn't see an immediate response -- she could be looking at lag, an unregistered tap because of software, or an unregistered tap because the physical input was too light. Such uncertainty doesn't build a great user experience and the Transformer, unfortunately, doesn't offer a great user experience. Much of that is, regrettably, down to Honeycomb itself. It's not a finished product yet. It's actually a fair distance away from a finished product. Some apps are done to absolute perfection while a lot of the "glue" bits, the stuff that goes between the apps and basically makes up the OS, is either confused, not responsive enough, or broken in some other way. Let's take these things in turn, starting with the good parts.

Last edited:

ravizzle

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
That's what the Anandtech review said. <- Edit: Endgadget.

Edit - I was remembering a different review. Will post the correction in a minute.

Here's a snip from the Endgadget review:
"Much of that is, regrettably, down to Honeycomb itself."

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I watched some videos of the Transformer. I'm not sure about the form factor. I don't think I would ever use the keyboard. The proprietary data port and lack of USB port on the screen itself would be very inconvenient. I'd hate to have to take a proprietary cable with me everywhere I went. It would be like owning an Apple device.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd hate to have to take a proprietary cable with me everywhere I went.

What does the mini usb cable on the Xoom get used for other than downloading stuff from a computer? I mean, how useful is the mini usb connection on the Xoom?

The only time I used the miniusb was when I loaded a file (a movie) larger than 2 GB, because it wouldn't load with any of the free wifi transfer apps.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is with the USB connection on the tablet. Anyone have a use case example where you'd need to connect with the data cable everywhere you went? help me out?

-Suntan

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
What does the mini usb cable on the Xoom get used for other than downloading stuff from a computer? I mean, how useful is the mini usb connection on the Xoom?

The only time I used the miniusb was when I loaded a file (a movie) larger than 2 GB, because it wouldn't load with any of the free wifi transfer apps.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is with the USB connection on the tablet. Anyone have a use case example where you'd need to connect with the data cable everywhere you went? help me out?

-Suntan

I use cables for transfer a lot on all my devices. My home wireless is N but with four other users in the house transferring big files isn't always a great idea. Outside the home, most wireless is too slow to make wifi transfer of big files practical. YMMV.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

-Suntan
This totally depends on how you use the tablet.

If you're using your tablet for enterprise and are replacing a notebook, like me, it's a must have. I use well over 10GB of data that changes ever few days. I need this data at my fingertips. Even though I use Drop Box extensively (had to up my data plan because of it), I just can't waste my time with an air/cloud connection for the bulk of my data.

A USB port, for me, is a deal breaker must have.

Also rooting the device to gain OTG functionality is a big plus. There's just too many times where documents need to be shared across a table and a USB key comes out of somebody's pocket. Again, it's a matter of waiting a few minutes for 4-5GB of files to load onto a key or waiting who-knows-how-long for the data to dribble through the air.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia