confused over both app markets

dr pepper

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something with the markets so please let me know if I'm off base here. I have been an I pad user for a year so I'm sure part of it is I'm just used to the apple app store.

I will give slack to amazon cause that market is new. Ill even give the main market slack on the tablet apps cause its new. But....

Is it just me or are these app stores poorly organized? Amazon doesn't have a tablet section at all and google only has a featured section. Why not next to the featured button have an all button. You can search but depending on what keyword you use you will get wildly different results. Also I haven't found a way to view apps by release date. I like to see what is new today. Is there a site that lists new apps daily?

Thanks

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something with the markets so please let me know if I'm off base here. I have been an I pad user for a year so I'm sure part of it is I'm just used to the apple app store.

I will give slack to amazon cause that market is new. Ill even give the main market slack on the tablet apps cause its new. But....

Is it just me or are these app stores poorly organized? Amazon doesn't have a tablet section at all and google only has a featured section. Why not next to the featured button have an all button. You can search but depending on what keyword you use you will get wildly different results. Also I haven't found a way to view apps by release date. I like to see what is new today. Is there a site that lists new apps daily?

Thanks
IMHO, it's because the goal is not to have separate phone apps and tablet apps. There will just be apps.

The XOOM will run most phone apps. Yes, there are many that won't run, but it's my experience that most will.

From what I've seen so far, and I'm sure someone will point out the exceptions, apps that are updated to run in Honeycomb don't split into two... one to run on phones and one to run on tablets. The app is updated for Honeycomb and now runs on both a phone and tablet.

So it makes sense not to support a separate tablet section if the end goal is to have just one set of unified apps.

As for a new apps section... The Android market is growing at a pace of about ten thousand apps per month. That's an average of over well over 300 new apps per day. A "new apps" section would be overwhelmed. You wouldn't be able to keep up.
(Source: Number of available Android applications - AppBrain)

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
You are correct, both stores are a mess. It is getting better and the Google market does have a featured tablet section but its not much.

acozzens

Apr 4, 2011
www.booyagadget.com

I will give slack to amazon cause that market is new. Ill even give the main market slack on the tablet apps cause its new. But......
Thanks

I prefer android market on my laptop. Because it's nice to sort.
Search for something, then you can filter by FREE/PAID, and Device compatibility. But using the laptop defeats the purpose I suppose.

What I am now doing, is using droid market #1, and then grabbing the free promos ( like picSay the other day ) from Amazon store. :)

For Example, Amazon is giving away another app Right now, some Knowledge thingy about vitamins. I'll pass on it, but that's how I rock the double stores..

ds2dale

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen, so far, the Android apps that have the hardest time with Honeycomb/Xoom are the ones that absolutely, positively require a telephone device. I have not seen enough on the various forums to get any feeling on whether or not sip/voip connectivity will do. I suspect not because the necessary 'hooks' in the operating system may not be there....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki