In the comaprision chart stickied at the top of this forum, is says "5,000" optimized Honeycomb apps.

That I can believe, but with no way to browse only tablet-optimized apps, what good is that number?

It's very disappointing that Google won't just simply add a "Tablets" section like Apple did for the iPad.

Are there really 5,000 honeycomb-optimized (including Honeycomb-only) apps?

If so, why can't we just browse through the tablet-only apps on the market?

Does Google have any brains? Obviously not...
    04-10-2011 08:19 PM
    In the comaprision chart stickied at the top of this forum, is says "5,000" optimized Honeycomb apps.

That I can believe, but with no way to browse only tablet-optimized apps, what good is that number?

It's very disappointing that Google won't just simply add a "Tablets" section like Apple did for the iPad.

I've been evaluating Xoom and iPad 2 for and with my customers for projects and we see many phone apps display with more elegance than with an iPad.

It would be simple marketing fodder against the Android tablet platform to promote a relatively small number of apps. None of us looking at the Xoom had a hard time finding the apps optimized for tablet the way Google Market is now.

I've seen filtering come to the Market site so your wish is sort of there and I'm sure it will only get better.

I'll differ on your last comment. Google may well have the sort of brains IBM has where they're not slogging it out in the big investment low margin hardware and distribution businesses like the other tablet makers and computer companies. They don't have the infrastructure and market like Apple does. That said, I bet people would step into "The Google Store" if malls had them.
    04-11-2011 08:58 AM
    You say it's easy...tell me how?

Searching for 'Xoom' or 'honeycomb' is of little help. Only shows about 3 pages of apps.

I know there are more than 500 apps optimized for Honeycomb...

And the 'Featured tablet apps' section is a joke!

How do you find said apps?
    04-11-2011 09:59 AM
    I think the end game for Google is to have only one type of app which works on any version of Android. If that is the case, we will never see a differentiation between phone apps and tablet apps.

With the phones getting such high resolution screens and powerful processors, there will be little reason for Google to maintain two separate Android series. I think this is also why Honeycomb is Android 3.0 and not "Tablet Android 1.0".

We will probably see the capabilities of the Android 2.x series and Android 3.x series merge until we only have one Android 4.x for everything.

Just my humble opinion on the subject.
    04-11-2011 12:07 PM
    I bought a xoom just to experience android. I am impressed with the hardware and OS but both app stores are terribly lacking. Not in the selection of apps but the way its laid out. I really enjoy coming home and looking at the new apps that came out today on my I pad. I don't have to worry about compatibility because if I go into the app store on an I pad I get I pad apps. With both android app stores you have no way to know what came out today. Heck there isn't even a release date on them. Other than the 52 featured tablet apps section you really don't know what's compatible. Its very frustrating. I am hesitant to pay money for an app wondering if it will work or if it looks decent ln the xoom. Its kinda let the wind out of my sails and as a result I don't use the xoom much. Hopefully google and amazon will corect these problems and I won't have to regret my purchase.
    04-11-2011 05:41 PM
    I bought a xoom just to experience android. I am impressed with the hardware and OS but both app stores are terribly lacking. Not in the selection of apps but the way its laid out. I really enjoy coming home and looking at the new apps that came out today on my I pad. I don't have to worry about compatibility because if I go into the app store on an I pad I get I pad apps. With both android app stores you have no way to know what came out today. Heck there isn't even a release date on them. Other than the 52 featured tablet apps section you really don't know what's compatible. Its very frustrating. I am hesitant to pay money for an app wondering if it will work or if it looks decent ln the xoom. Its kinda let the wind out of my sails and as a result I don't use the xoom much. Hopefully google and amazon will corect these problems and I won't have to regret my purchase.
    Huh? You only use your tablet to peruse new apps? You don't use it for the myriad things people use tablets for? You can't peruse new apps that were released, so you don't use your XOOM? Can't wrap my brain around that.

There's a refund policy in the Market. You can see if the app runs well (most do). If it doesn't you can get you money back. But rather than that, why not simply download the multitude of awesome free apps? Unlike iOS, many (if not most) of the most useful and valuable apps are free.
    04-11-2011 06:20 PM
    This is one of the main reasons I got an ipad and holding out till later in the summer/fall to get an android tablet. I really feel that's when the tablets will take off. If I'm paying about $500 it better have a good amount of tablet optimized apps to take advantage of the hardware/screen. I already have a phone to test out regular android apps. I also agree since it will be a while be the tablet apps even approach regular apps (maybe never) you need to make it easy for people to find/discover new tablet apps. How will developers make money if people can't find them?
    04-11-2011 07:05 PM
    When you first enter the market, doesn't the market show the top apps for tablets?
    04-11-2011 08:24 PM
    No one has answered the question of how to find the myriad of tablet ootimized apps.
    04-11-2011 09:30 PM
    No one has answered the question of how to find the myriad of tablet ootimized apps.
    In the search box, type "tablet" nearly 2,000 apps will show up. I have found very few that don't work and most work full screen. Also try "honeycomb" in the search. I agree it's tough to navigate but the iOS app store can be tough as well without some 3rd party apps like "appshopper". For android check out "appbrain" as well, I find it a bit more useful than the market directly.
    04-12-2011 12:24 AM

one option:
    use the web browser.
    login to the market.
    search for something, after your initial search results, you can then filter (top of screen) by free paid, MODEL COMPATIBILITY, and relevance/popularity.

I prefer to use the browser if i'm really searching for something hard.

with that said, it is not a fool proof way to guarantee the app rocks on your Xoom. I've downloaded so many apps, and returned a handful asap.

just an option that may give you a better experience.
    AC
    Vudumedic likes this.
    04-12-2011 01:48 AM
    Get the Latest Android apps on AppBrain will show you the newest items in the Market.
    04-12-2011 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD