Interesting to note, I live in the country and its interesting how I have not encountered even one person who knows what the motorola xoom is. Most of the time they are like "What's that an I pad?" Lol then I have to resist the urge to choke them because I'm such an android fanboy.

And then I have my boss who has an I pad who continously wishes to say how much better apple is than android, where I try to keep my mouth shut because he is my boss.

On another note, anyone getting History Great Battles Medieval when it come out, and anyone know the actual release date?
    04-13-2011 03:01 PM
    Yup. That's how it is.

I have an iPad, a xoom, and a Gtablet, and my wife, and kids call all of them an iPad.

Probably because I had an iPhone from the beginning (Got an android phone now, although, my wife still have the iPhone 4), and also the iPad was introduced to them way back, and it's stuck in their head.
    04-13-2011 05:28 PM
    Actually, my apple fan boss was the only person who knew what the Xoom was. He actually called it very sexy :-)
    04-13-2011 05:29 PM
    I just today saw someone else who has a xoom, almost brought a tear to my eye But I do constantly get the "oh an iPad"
    04-13-2011 05:47 PM
    I usually reply 'its like an ipad....but better!'
    04-13-2011 05:53 PM
    Yup I normally say something like "No its not an ipad, its better than that!" Then they respond with "Then why havent I heard of it?" "Because your a moron" that normally shuts them up .
    ravizzle likes this.
    04-13-2011 06:21 PM
    Lol, yup. People at school just dont even realize this is something else. And what's sad about that is im a computer major, so I tend to be around those kind of people. Android has its works cut out for it. But itll happen, just like when I was rocking my G1 and nobody knew what that was

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    04-13-2011 07:44 PM
    I was using my xoom waiting outside my class and surprisingly a bunch of ppl knew what a xoom was and were asking me about how it compares to the ipad. Not a single person has mistaken my xoom for an ipad, i was surprised that was the case as most ppl at my school are mac/iphone/ipad users.
    04-13-2011 08:32 PM
    Most non Tech/Gadget/Geek centric people haven't. Aside from the Superbowl ad I can't recall ever seeing any advertising. Google doesn't advertise for Honeycomb and Moto hasn't run huge ad campaigns on a product that may only sell a few hundred thousand before being updated or pushed to the bargin bin. As with all the Android phones, many people have heard the word "Android" but very few know what it is. Apple has simply out campaigned any company out there in the tablet market and I don't expect any/many non tech types to have heard of it.
    04-13-2011 09:41 PM
    Sad but true. They definitely need to advertise more.
    04-13-2011 11:13 PM
    I see a bunch of verizon xoom ads, none for wifi only though. Def need more ads
    04-13-2011 11:33 PM
    Meh I would just own your boss, like let's say he needs a document or maybe just needs to share files while on the go, Android can be used as a thumb stick with up to 32 gigs of flash space on most devices, also DropBox allows you to do this with no wires... I always laugh when iPhone users can't seem to charge their iPhone, and when someone brings me their charger for their feature or dumb phone, it charges... it's more practical to use standards in data transfer, rather than making an overpriced proprietary connector.... about 2 reasons why your boss is kind of a tard. And anyone who knows about Android thinks that Droid is the only Android phone, everyone thinks that only Google can make these devices, Apple has got a lot of people CONFUSED.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-14-2011 03:02 PM
    Apple will probably always kick Android's a$$ when it comes to advertising.

Just look at the names; everyone knows what an "apple" is, and it implies simplicity, knowledge, and nature.

"Android" is literally a science fiction word, and for most people it literally means nothing. At best you'll get "uh, like a robot or something?"

Google isn't stupid, they did it on purpose. Look how they name everything else; Gmail, Chrome, etc, much more easily recognized by the general public. Android is marketed at us techie sci fi types.
    04-14-2011 03:26 PM
    Apple will probably always kick Android's a$$ when it comes to advertising.

Just look at the names; everyone knows what an "apple" is, and it implies simplicity, knowledge, and nature.

"Android" is literally a science fiction word, and for most people it literally means nothing. At best you'll get "uh, like a robot or something?"

Google isn't stupid, they did it on purpose. Look how they name everything else; Gmail, Chrome, etc, much more easily recognized by the general public. Android is marketed at us techie sci fi types.
    actually NONE of that is true about google or android. Android wasnt even googles to begin with, they bought it.

its funny the stuff people make up.

Here is some education for people that may not know:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0949_tc024.htm
    04-14-2011 03:29 PM
    ok so google didn't create the name... but does that change the fact that A) they kept it, and B) the word in itself is not nearly as commonly recognized as "apple"?
    04-14-2011 03:32 PM
    ok so google didn't create the name... but does that change the fact that A) they kept it, and B) the word in itself is not nearly as commonly recognized as "apple"?
    no i agree with you there, and you are right. android will dominate the tablet market just like it does the handset market right now.
    04-14-2011 03:44 PM
    It would be hard to find a Xoom in best buy if you didn't already know where it was. You'd have to ask someone to show it to you. The lack of marketing killed this device. Most people don't follow sites like this and other tech blogs so if something isn't pushed to their living room constantly, they have no idea it exists. Thanks Moto and VZW for that.
    04-14-2011 04:21 PM
    actually NONE of that is true about google or android. Android wasnt even googles to begin with, they bought it.

its funny the stuff people make up.

Here is some education for people that may not know:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0949_tc024.htm
    Regardless if Google didn't make it, they did basically... if that makes sense. When Google bought Android, they were essentially Google, the product was called Android but they were always Google. Its just being technical, Google made it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the folks who originally worked on Google.com working on Android right now.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-14-2011 04:24 PM
    This is hilarious. I have same controversy with my boss and I give the same exact response when people call it an ipad. Some people are just blind to everything android offers. I guess they think they are cooler if they can tell everybody they have an iPhone/ipad
    04-18-2011 10:36 PM
    I went to Best Buy to purchase my Xoom. I went back to the computer area, where they have the Xoom on display. There were five Best Buy employees standing around with their thumbs up their butts, so I told one of the guys I wanted to buy a Xoom, and he said "You'll have to go to the phone area". I go over to the phone area, where three employees are busy selling phones and five other customers are waiting to be helped. I waited thirty minutes, and finally it was my turn. I tell the guy I want a Xoom. He tells me that they only have the 3g model, and I tell him that's fine. He opens the case and is surprised that they have five wifi Xooms and no 3g Xooms. I told him that I wanted the 3g model and no contract. He looks again, and finds the only 3g Xoom that they have. I tell him I want the portfolio case. He tells me that those are back in the computer area, and walks me back there (where the same five employees are still doing nothing). None in stock. He tells me to wait while he goes to the stockroom and comes back with a portfolio case. We walk back to the phone area and start the process of me paying for the Xoom, and he can't figure out how to sell it off contract. Finally, after about fifteen minutes, he figures it out. I swipe my debit card, he apologizes for the wait, and I leave with my 3g Xoom.
    04-18-2011 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD